SE Mods

My Bernie is currently with my local tech, should be back shortly, when I'll do a dedicated post.

I've put the Mannmade 2300 bridge and Gotoh SD90-MGT locking tuners on myself. Tech will be fitting a set of Bare Knuckle Mules (brushed nickel with gold poles, to match the bridge), a TUSQ nut, and new CTS push-pull pots for individual coil splits and a master phase switch.

Only thing I haven't been able to track down for a reasonable price in the UK are lampshade knobs - they're £24 for a pack of two, and I'm damned if I'm paying £48 for three knobs and a spare! So for now I've got gold tophats, but I'll be keeping an ear to the ground.

Hey man, thanks for the reply!

Nice! Right on! Sounds like you have a nice piece there. Doing similar mods myself.

I agree man! Some of these sites, places and people ask for a ridiculous amount at times.
Been looking for custom truss rod cover with the written cursive Paul Reed Smith logo on it.
Literally the last piece I need for my project. I'll keep a lookout on the lampshade knobs for you.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to keep an eye out for!? Thanks again!
I do appreciate it!

[IMG]
https://www.flickr.com/photos/66385988@N04/31661738938/in/dateposted-public/

SE245, top brown burst coat sanded to base yellow, USA nut, Monty's PAF pickups.

All work done by me.

@GavQuinn Flickr makes it pretty hard to post photos on forums, unfortunately. You have to hack it a bit to get the pics to show up.

31661738938_f120fe1bbb_h.jpg

When the top coat was off, I sanded again.

This time, in an arc around the crest of the bevel, following the bevel itself around the perimeter of the top, kind of in a pear shape.

Either side of the bevel (towards the centre of the top and at the ‘binding edge’), they were sanded in a circular motion. The idea is that there’s texture in the light. It's just a reflection trick, one bit reflects differently.

In reflections, it exaggerates the carve, makes it look more like a carved top. Give an illusion of a dish or dip down to the edges.

It’s hard to see in the photo, but it works in the flesh, it really does. It's still flat and satin all over, it's just different streaking or hazing I guess.

It's got no truss cover cos it's a working guitar. I's a 2012 and it's heavily used, it gets used flat out, gigs and records, everything. It's very solid, there's no neck flex, it stays it tune. Very full in the mid range, so lower output PAFs still make it sound like a raunchy beast, just maybe brighter.

Last edited:
Question for you guys: I have a Trampas Green Zach Myers on which I upgraded tuners, nut, and pickups, and absolutely love it. I recently pre-ordered one from a limited edition run being done through my local dealer that I'm looking forward to. I already own a great sounding Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 set that I was planning on putting into this guitar, but I've started thinking about getting a PRS HFS/Vintage Bass set and installing those instead.

Thoughts?

Question for you guys: I have a Trampas Green Zach Myers on which I upgraded tuners, nut, and pickups, and absolutely love it. I recently pre-ordered one from a limited edition run being done through my local dealer that I'm looking forward to. I already own a great sounding Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 set that I was planning on putting into this guitar, but I've started thinking about getting a PRS HFS/Vintage Bass set and installing those instead.

Thoughts?

Those are two very different sets of pickups. Burstbuckers are moderate output PAF style, while the Vintage Bass is like an overwound PAF and the HFS is a modern, hot pickup with a ripping midrange.

Not new to the forum, but first post I think. Just ordered an SE Cu24 Sweetwater Exclusive and while looking at the MannMade site, just wondering if the pearloid tips would fit the SE Locking Tuners or not. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

So I received a few gift cards at work this week and I found a great deal online for a SE Standard 22 Platinum in excellent condition. Only cost me $100 out of pocket! I was wanting one of these for a mod project so it worked out great and I will add it to this list once it is completed.

So I received a few gift cards at work this week and I found a great deal online for a SE Standard 22 Platinum in excellent condition. Only cost me $100 out of pocket! I was wanting one of these for a mod project so it worked out great and I will add it to this list once it is completed.

I look at those on Dave’s and can’t believe the prices!

Don’t do too good a job on yours.... I’m close to the edge.

Back