SE Mods

Have had Grover rotomatic 18:1 locking tuners on an SE EG for the last 8yrs. Rock solid and exact fit, though the heads are a little smaller than original PRS.

Yes, I've heard those rotomatics are "drop ins" for the PRS SE. Can the tuning buttons be replaced with standard size buttons?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for sharing your comments, finally I will install schaller m6 135 locking tuners because there's no need to modify anything and these tuners seems to have better quality.

Regards.

Yes, I've heard those rotomatics are "drop ins" for the PRS SE. Can the tuning buttons be replaced with standard size buttons?
Unfortunately, the EG buttons wouldn't fit. Replaced with standard size Grover "knock off" buttons.

I’m thinking to buy a SE Zach Myers. Do you guys think that is needed any upgrade? Thanks

It's a fine guitar with quite versatile pickups because they are quite different and cover a fairly broad range of tones. It's perfectly fine stock other than the usual thing where the nut might need tweaking or swapping for a better one. The rest is subjective and depends on what you want out of it as a player.

Caution with 'swapping the nut' ... I've seen a lot of people screw that up, then blame their tuners, swap tuners, blame the guitar ... and sell it off in frustration. I don't mind buying those because it's an easy fix but be cautious as the nuts are trickier than they seem on the surface. Better option for most is a tube of graphite lock lube in the slots under the strings and on the saddles.

Caution with 'swapping the nut' ...

Yeah, I noticed when I took mine off that they use a LOT of glue. It's almost impossible to remove one without a little bit of the wood coming off on the bottom of the nut. Instead of a couple of drops they seem to slather the thing. It can make for a lot of extra work if you aren't very careful.

Caution with 'swapping the nut' ... I've seen a lot of people screw that up, then blame their tuners, swap tuners, blame the guitar ... and sell it off in frustration. I don't mind buying those because it's an easy fix but be cautious as the nuts are trickier than they seem on the surface. Better option for most is a tube of graphite lock lube in the slots under the strings and on the saddles.

Eddie is very smart, but he assumed you’d know he meant installed by a professional for the nut. Tuners can be done in about 20 minutes.

Yeah, I noticed when I took mine off that they use a LOT of glue. It's almost impossible to remove one without a little bit of the wood coming off on the bottom of the nut. Instead of a couple of drops they seem to slather the thing. It can make for a lot of extra work if you aren't very careful.
I saw a great technique on That Pedal Show where you saw across the middle of the nut from E to E and then collapse it in on itself. Seemed to be optimal way to remove.

Hey guys, here is what used to be my 2016 Zach Myers.

I now call her my Selah Custom.

open

I swapped out the stock 245s for something more low-output

open

Dimarzio EJ Custom Pickup set
Shortened gold pole pieces from Dimarzio
Amber lampshade knobs

open

I acquired a repro sticker and had a darker stain applied to the headstock.
Graphtech Tusq XL nut

open

Nickel hardware and gold screws. It is all about the details right?
Other than a Switchcraft toggle switch, the electronics are mostly stock.
The alphas have a nice taper to them, though I leave my knobs on 10 half the time.

open

Kluson locking tuners, gold tuner buttons for that McCarty look
The party trick is the Daddario tuner for those moments I'm not with my pedalboard.
The other party trick is the Dunlop dual design strap locks.

Sounds cool, but your pictures don't seem to be working :(

Oh, I can get them to load if I right click on the img icon and open in a new tab. Very nice :)

Hey guys, here is what used to be my 2016 Zach Myers.

I now call her my Selah Custom.

J1Ytw6dBvUJz3xgB7

I swapped out the stock 245s for something more low-output

qFzYCwSive81eNjt8

Dimarzio EJ Custom Pickup set
Shortened gold pole pieces from Dimarzio
Amber lampshade knobs

KGo4Y7eHYnsPf2bSA

I acquired a repro sticker and had a darker stain applied to the headstock.
Graphtech Tusq XL nut

1za9H8Wwui16fn5j9

Nickel hardware and gold screws. It is all about the details right?
Other than a Switchcraft toggle switch, the electronics are mostly stock.
The alphas have a nice taper to them, though I leave my knobs on 10 half the time.

DbhqfyGt98sjPi5w7

Kluson locking tuners, gold tuner buttons for that McCarty look
The party trick is the Daddario tuner for those moments I'm not with my pedalboard.
The other party trick is the Dunlop dual design strap locks.

Edit: I am a complete noob at posting pictures here. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Sounds cool, but your pictures don't seem to be working :(

Oh, I can get them to load if I right click on the img icon and open in a new tab. Very nice :)
Haha, thank you. =) I'm heading off to a leadership college in Sydney for music ministry training and I'm taking Selah with me. I never believed my dream guitar would manifest this soon. Honestly, I could not be happier.

I think I found a way how.

Here she is!

Selah, my McCarty SC Semihollow on budget, XD (Formerly a lovely 2016 Zach Myers SE)
kf46mv.jpg

The EJ Customs gives her really singing cleans. Isn't she lovely?
2wgakb8.jpg

The darker stain and applying the silver repro sig was already impressive when I watched my Luthier friend work at it. Since I was helping him
sort out some administrative matters, he allowed me to become more involved with the process, even teaching me some tricks of the trade.
2uge05k.jpg

The mix of nickel and gold hardware to me is textbook core PRS. The personal challenge to make this guitar look the part was a fun and surprisingly, a relatively inexpensive process.
minxc4.jpg

This Daddario onboard tuner is seriously one of the best things ever, next to the Kluson locking tuners of course.
29zy4br.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, my PRS Selah Custom.
flgd4m.jpg

Here she is!

Selah, my McCarty SC Semihollow on budget, XD (Formerly a lovely 2016 Zach Myers SE)
kf46mv.jpg

2wgakb8.jpg

The darker stain and applying the silver repro sig was already impressive when I watched my Luthier friend work at it. Since I was helping him
sort out some administrative matters, he allowed me to become more involved with the process, even teaching me some tricks of the trade.
2uge05k.jpg

The mix of nickel and gold hardware to me is textbook core PRS. The personal challenge to make this guitar look the part was a fun and surprisingly, a relatively inexpensive process.
minxc4.jpg

This Daddario onboard tuner is seriously one of the best things ever, next to the Kluson locking tuners of course.
29zy4br.jpg

flgd4m.jpg

Looks great!

Here she is!

kf46mv.jpg

2wgakb8.jpg

2uge05k.jpg

minxc4.jpg

29zy4br.jpg

flgd4m.jpg

I don't know if it's of interest to you what with all the gold details. But PRS do sell metric brass studs for the bridge. I got some for mine and thought they looked quite cool. though I might try and get them more shiny since they have a slight texture.

BrassStuds.jpg

Back