SE Mods

They do have some nice stuff on there.

I was thinking about getting some white/cream pickup rings on this.

S15729-body-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

I have a 2012 Custom 22 SE semi hollow with Bird inlays in tobacco sunburst.

I've done the following;

New Gibson Tuners
New Bridge
New pots and switches
New pickguard
New Pickups ( 1999 McCarty hollow body Nickel)
New headstock veneer
New Rosewood trussrod cover
New strap locks

Basically the only thing that remains is the body and nut from the original guitar, which played fine and never gave me any issues.
But have to say, plays and sounds like a McCarty now

Even though I'm never selling it, the mods costs me about $400 total with all the work, and I've already had people offer me $1,500 for it.

I feel like the older SE models were made better, wood and production wise, but the parts were all just mediocre

pics or
I have a 2012 Custom 22 SE semi hollow with Bird inlays in tobacco sunburst.

I've done the following;

New Gibson Tuners
New Bridge
New pots and switches
New pickguard
New Pickups ( 1999 McCarty hollow body Nickel)
New headstock veneer
New Rosewood trussrod cover
New strap locks

Basically the only thing that remains is the body and nut from the original guitar, which played fine and never gave me any issues.
But have to say, plays and sounds like a McCarty now

Even though I'm never selling it, the mods costs me about $400 total with all the work, and I've already had people offer me $1,500 for it.

I feel like the older SE models were made better, wood and production wise, but the parts were all just mediocre

Pics or it didn't happen ;P
(I know you gotta make a few more posts before you can post pics so... we're waiting.)

"Pics or it Didn't happen" I like that
I was trying to load pics, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't, now I know. and knowing is half the battle

That headstock overlay looks pretty legit.

Yeah I found this guy online that makes super high quality vinyl ones on etsy. there even textured so to the touch you wouldn't know its vinyl.
Was going to do a real wood headstock veneer, but didn't want to deal with the signature logo, or have it be blank. and this fit perfectly, with just a tiny bit of trimming at the horns of the headstock.
Its legit, and since I'm not trying to "fool" anyone for a resale saying it's a guitar that its not, I'm really happy with it.
NEVER understood why PRS made that crappy SE logo one the original runs

Also, if anyone is curious, this is the headstock overlay, right after I put it on, without any trimming and tuners off.
Was almost perfect, except for the horns, which I trimmed about a half cm off of with a razor blade

f8VVbch.jpg

So... this is basically just a vinyl sticker? And it has the script logo already on it when you buy it too?

Yes its basically just a vinyl sticker, all be it a high quality one.
Like I said I was going to do an actual wood veneer (I've built several guitars before and have done veneers on tops and headstocks) but the amount of time it takes to do that right, as well as the fact that I use this guitar for gigging, made this the easier option.
Plus for the home player, who just hates the look of the old SE headstock, its an easy, cheaper option that in the end looks just as good

Question about Zach Myers SE, pots, and knobs. I have a split-coil humbucker in the bridge position now that I'm not fully utilizing because I still have the stock pots. I'd like to change that but am concerned about the shaft size, can I reuse the knob, do I have to change all 4 pots in order to have matching knobs, etc, etc.

What's the best way to go about this?

No need to change all of the pots, unless you have any issues with them. If you only need one coil split, you could replace one pot with a push/pull pot, or just add a mini toggle and keep the original pots. There are push/pull pots that you allow the use of the original knobs, just measure the shaft diameter of your existing pots.

I measured my SE Zach Myers pot shafts, and it looks like they are 6 mm diameter. So if you go with the split shaft 6 mm shaft size push/pull, you should be able to use the same knobs.

Last edited:
Back