SC250 or Tremonti

jeff5

I'm torn between getting either an SC250 or a Tremonti. I want 25" scale and I'd like a singlecut guitar. I don't mind the trem or hot pick ups on the Tremonti. I will probably set the guitar up for E flat tuning and tune down to D standard at times. (I can block the tremolo, etc., so no issue for me) Also, I'll be targeting a wide/thin on the SC250, so neck shape should similar to the Tremonti.

I'm interested in the opinions on one versus the other. Likes, dislikes, pros, cons, etc. I believe they are probably fairly similar, but I have never played either to compare.

Thanks for your insights!

Jeff

Are you looking for new or used? My understanding is that the SC 250 isn't made anymore (besides the S2 singlecut), however, the USA Tremonti can now be ordered with a stoptail. Finding a used SC 250 with a wide/thin neck may be hard also. I haven't played an SC 250, but I have played a first run singlecut with a 25" neck. Very nice guitar as is every PRS (USA or SE) I've played. I have not had the chance to play a USA Tremonti, however, I have two of the SE Tremonti Customs. They are my go to guitars. The wide/thin neck is my favorite. Feels great in my hands and is very fast.

If I had the funds, I would order a USA Tremonti with a stoptail in Fire Red Burst Flamed 10 top or Autumn Sky.

Hi and thanks! They are on clearance from Guitar Center. You are right about the SC250 and the Wide Thin neck. The GC reps gave me some misinformation and when I checked the serials with PRS all of them had the Wide Fat neck. The Wide Thin was an option,ror the SC250 but is apparently quite rare.

I don't want a Wide Fat, and was on the fence anyway, so this probably just made my decision easier!

Just picked up a PRS SC 245 McCarty at the GC clearance. While I prefer the 25" and w/t neck, the deal was too good to pass up. Not too mention, I'm really digging the Santana style headstock. Transitioning between the two isn't a pain, but if you really don't like the w/f neck I hear ya. I would just say those GC deals are a once in a lifetime opportunity IMHO. Glad I could be of assistance.

It's funny because I just bought a CU24. Then I saw the guitar center deals. I figure, I can afford it, I may not ever see a new PRS that low again, at least not one I want, so I should do it. I really want a Tremonti too due to the neck and the trem.

Thanks. I think you can still order them and specify wide/thin if you want it, but I was looking at the Guitar Center clearance ones.

I own or have owned SC 245, SC250 and Tremonti Signature. All three are great, but I'll take the Tremonti over any other SC out there. I've Owned 5 of them and they were all amazing.

Great! Thanks for the replies everyone. I pulled the trigger and I should get it early next week. Can't wait!

This years Tremonti line has the option of stop-tail. The SC-250's are back this year as well though I think they are available through the artist package.

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess you can special order, but there's not a "regular" production model anymore besides the S2 singlecut?

So Jeff, do they have a Tremonti on clearance at your GC? I really wish mine had.

They didn't have any in the Chicago area, at least not any in a color that I wanted. I got it from a GC in California and it's being shipped here. I don't know if we can post links to sites like GC/sales sites, but PM me if you need the link or just Google "Guitar Center PRS Blowout".

Jeff

I own or have owned SC 245, SC250 and Tremonti Signature. All three are great, but I'll take the Tremonti over any other SC out there. I've Owned 5 of them and they were all amazing.

Tremonti all the way for me, just as long as you're OK with the pickups

Thanks. I'll give it awhile to see if I like them. If not, pick up swaps are no sweat. I'm currently loving the 59/09 in my CU24, although I have always been a high output/ceramic guy. If the Tremonti's aren't to my liking I may get another 59/09.

The Tremonti bridge pup is fantastic! If you decide to swap them out IM me an I'll take them off your hands.

If you don't like the Tremonti, try the \m/ pickup. One of my SE Tremonti Customs has the Tremonti pups and the other has the \m/ pups. Love em both. Just found the link for the blowout sale. I'm thinking it's accurate, cause it has the remaining PRS guitars at my local GC listed. Found a Tremonti in Goldburst......ahhhh. I may need to unload my LP standard and buy!!

Last edited:
The site isn't very updated. I called on the Goldburst, and it was gone as is the Charcoal Burst.

Crap....well there's some others on there I wouldn't mind getting, Stripped 58. I wonder if it depends on the store updating.

Back