RV Overnight Camping at the next Experience PRS

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Calm down... I'm not making an announcement, I'm asking a question. What if those of us who like to attend the Experience PRS events at the factory (whenever they decide to host these events) were to show up with some sort of RV Camper for 1 or 2 overnight stays, paralell parked on the side of the public road for the duration of the event?

Back story: For what seems like a year now, I've been researching RV (Recreational Vehicle) campers of all shapes, sizes (classes) and options. I bought a truck heavy duty enough to to pull whatever I might choose to get. So far, a 30+ foot long fifth wheel "toy hauler" (has a built in garage for my Harley-Davidson motorcycle) with two bathrooms is what I currently find to be the most appealing. As I have continued to learn more and more about RV's, I would routinely share this information with my wife. We recently attended a big RV show in Hershey PA so that I could get a better look at these rigs up close before I decide whether to buy one or not.

Even more back story: My wife and I drive across the country all the time, stay in hotel rooms, collect travel points from both Marriott an Hilton hotel chains and we've even toured three different guitar factories along the way. One of the problems she often encounters is the lack of bathrooms available to her while we are out in the middle of nowhere. Now back to the regular back story....

We had just showed up to the RV show. I mentioned that Grand Design has just invented these relatively small RV trailers that could "theoretically" allow us to camp in the smallest of mountain top national park camp sites out West (Mt. Graham), there would be room in the bed of the truck for the Harley, and if all we wanted to do was to just take the trailer with us to our next hotel room stay, the trailer is so small that my truck wouldn't even notice it. This of course, and most importantly, would make a bathroom available to her any time she wanted one. Well... we hadn't even made it to the toy haulers yet and the next thing I know, she is in a tiny camper sitting next to a sales lady, she looks at me and blurts out... "I like THIS one!" "I'm buying it." This was followed up by me just standing there looking dumfounded and eventually realizing that I was not going to be able to talk her out of it.

So now, present day, I'm trying to think ahead a little bit. Does anyone know if overnight stays in RV's along the side of a public road is allowed in Maryland? What if everyone else showed up to the event with their own RV? Would there be enough parking space for everyone? Perhaps the nearby businesses which are normally closed during the event wouldn't mind if RV's parked in their empty parking lots, just for the duration of the event? Are there actual campgrounds nearby (on Kent Island, not that park across the water)? Do PRS owners even own RV's in the first place?

I do find the idea appealing. You would have to arrive very early to get a space on the street - they run out of room for cars before the start time of the event.

I have no idea what the official rules might be, but I don't think they would tow something away knowing there was a big event going on. Other area businesses have typically been open Thursday/Friday.

people drive these huge rigs past my shop all the time, and the worst of them pull around and sleep parked on the street for days and days. they all bring lawn chairs and an unleashed dog or three. one of them threw a full waste tank right in the moose lodge dumpster.

not that you would do that stuff, but it’s a gross scene.

I've been pulling a 35' Patio Hauler for 25 years, great rig for what I use it for, but it is a big hummer. It will hold my Dresser Goldwing but all I've ever put in it is my track bike, my old custom cruiser, and my RZR SxS. My stowaway ramp would be a nightmare with the big touring bike, so I don't go there. The darn bike is as wide or wider than the ramp by the footboards is so I'm not comfortable backing it down; a 900# scoot is more than I want to fall over on me from a foot or two above the ground.
Once upon a time, at least in Canada, large chain stores (Walmart etc) used to welcome overnight RVs, but things such as mentioned by jxe above have created a bad rep and a ban of such activities now. Even truck stops have put a stop to almost all overnight stays, even for truckers in sleeper cabs. It might be wise to try and contact the local municipality well in advance for their views or possible local ordinances in place. For most of us that have respect and leave no trace of our passing, there are hundreds of doorknobs that ruin it for all others.
Sorry to say, but people are pigs.

Which Grand Designs are you looking at?
My wife bought the new Imagine AIM series model 16ML. As for me, I was originally looking at the Momentum 320G, but then I started gravitating towards the Momentum 351MS, and then more recently the Solitude 391DL-R if I want to leave the motorcycle at home and bring the mother-in-law instead.

people drive these huge rigs past my shop all the time, and the worst of them pull around and sleep parked on the street for days and days. they all bring lawn chairs and an unleashed dog or three. one of them threw a full waste tank right in the moose lodge dumpster.

not that you would do that stuff, but it’s a gross scene.
Agreed. That is wrong. I've heard about stuff like that happening up and down the Left coast so I don't think I'll ever make it out that way. Heck, everything I own is illegal in California. hahaha

My wife bought the new Imagine AIM series model 16ML. As for me, I was originally looking at the Momentum 320G, but then I started gravitating towards the Momentum 351MS, and then more recently the Solitude 391DL-R if I want to leave the motorcycle at home and bring the mother-in-law instead.
I don't know whether to giggle or cry at that...;)

I was looking at satellite imagery of Log Canoe Circle... What is that big empty field at the far end of the circle (opposite end from the factory)? It isn't part of the Terrapin Nature Park. I wonder if the ground is firm enough to to make a RV camp site and overflow parking area for 4WD pickup trucks.
Huge empty lot <Click Here>

I was looking at satellite imagery of Log Canoe Circle... What is that big empty field at the far end of the circle (opposite end from the factory)? It isn't part of the Terrapin Nature Park. I wonder if the ground is firm enough to to make a RV camp site and overflow parking area for 4WD pickup trucks.
Huge empty lot <Click Here>
I remember the ground being firm. Very lumpy, but firm. Well sleuthed.

I guess I need new glasses. At first glance, I thought this thread was titled, "Overweight Camping at the next Experience PRS."

I was kinda hoping for an excuse to eat more. Now...pfft. I'd rather stay at a hotel.

I guess I need new glasses. At first glance, I thought this thread was titled, "Overweight Camping at the next Experience PRS."
Well what did you THINK I meant, when I said I was a “big camper?” That’s why I’m on the light beer now.

Back