Ukulele for my granddaughter?

Mike J.

My little 6 year old granddaughter really enjoys strumming on my guitar. She seems to enjoy it more and more. So that got me thinking about possibly getting her a ukulele for Christmas. An introduction to learning an instrument!

The thing is, I don't know the first thing about the instrument. Don't even know what the tuning is. Just looked online and while I see a good number of beginners ukulele kits I don't know of what quality they are or how playable they would be for a little 6 year old. (Little girl hands!).

Right now it's just a thought and I'll have to ask my son what he thinks of the idea. I don't want to get her some cheap, plastic toy or a cheap wooden toy that'll warp and fall apart either. But if I can get some suggestions from those who could guide me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

I picked one up in Hawaii. It's Koa. I don't suggest you fly there to get one, but you might try to find a Koa Uke as it has a terrific sound. She will love that it came from Grandpa. It was expensive there, but I enjoy it. It was $130.

8ONegbV.jpg

I picked one up in Hawaii. It's Koa. I don't suggest you fly there to get one, but you might try to find a Koa Uke as it has a terrific sound. She will love that it came from Grandpa. It was expensive there, but I enjoy it. It was $130.

8ONegbV.jpg
That's a nice looking litle uke! Thanks for the suggestion!

If she already enjoys playing get her one . If you really want to have fun , build one with her .. stew-mac has kits .. now that will give you some Awesome memories .. I've done it with my son and grandson

If she already enjoys playing get her one . If you really want to have fun , build one with her .. stew-mac has kits .. now that will give you some Awesome memories .. I've done it with my son and grandson
That's a good idea! I assume the kit you bought is of a good quality and could be played by a 6 year old?

I had thought about buying one for myself several years ago. I didn't want a super cheap one for the reasons you mentioned. I was shocked at how expensive a decent to good one can cost. The ones I was looking at started around $700 - $800 and went well over 1k. Just like acoustic guitars, the more expensive ones sounded way better. I didn't think I would play it enough to make the purchase make sense so I stopped looking. If you can find one for a price you are willing to pay, I would do it. If I were looking I would probably spend 2 to 3 hundred to try to get something half way decent.

Back