PRS SE Swamp Ash Special!

Hey! If you're planning to do either of these mods, please hold off a bit. We've discovered an anomaly where the bridge pickup, when split, leaks into positions 4 and 5 on the 6-way switch. Free-Way has kindly provided me with 2 updated diagrams, but we want to verify that they're perfect before I re-post them.

One other note: Use the inset at the top of the diagrams in order to split both humbuckers to the coil facing the peghead. This might sacrifice some hum-cancellation with the middle single-coil pup, but it's a better tone on both pickups. More soon!
I need the improved diagram for my core SAS.

We used this revised tap + series diagram (or a slight modification of it). Great results! But your core SAS might have a middle HB:

This is the revised diagram with tap push-pull but no series/parallel push-pull:

I am also very interested in this guitar, just because of the combination of the glossy body and satin maple neck, which makes it unique in the PRS world.
What is the difference in sound between this guitar and an SE Custom 24 or an S2 Standard?

I am also very interested in this guitar, just because of the combination of the glossy body and satin maple neck, which makes it unique in the PRS world.
What is the difference in sound between this guitar and an SE Custom 24 or an S2 Standard?

Because of the pickup configuration and switching, the SE SAS can get much more Strat or Tele like than either of the others, while still kicking ass as a dual-humbucker guitar. Not a better or worse thing, just different. The SAS also has more "snap" to my ears than a Cu24 or a Standard.

My $0.02

If you only compare the bridge and neck?

Possibly the screwed neck also has an influence.
I was actually considering selling my s2 standard for the money to buy this one, but I'm not sure yet. I don't like the pattern regular neck and the 42mm nut width on the s2

Another question, which guitar from the other manufacturers would be comparable? I don't want a Strat, but I would like it to sound a bit brighter and clearer than my S2. Sometimes I also hear a bit of a Gibson SG vibe, could that be?

I have S2 standards and the SE SAS...the SAS def has more attack....im really diggin in!

Another question, which guitar from the other manufacturers would be comparable? I don't want a Strat, but I would like it to sound a bit brighter and clearer than my S2. Sometimes I also hear a bit of a Gibson SG vibe, could that be?
I just put a JB in my S2 standard 22 it brightened it right up!!

I compared my friend Rob’s SE SAS to my core SAS tonight, 1 set on each guitar, played through a Fender Blues Jr with no pedals. My 2005 has a fuller thicker sound, even when tapped. The 6 way freeway switch is just great, giving me sounds very quickly. The SE is one helluva guitar. It’s a little more Strat-like tapped and the pickups are louder. The humbucker sounds on both are excellent. There is a little better string definition in the SE and I was surprised at the bass response. The core has a lovely wide-fat neck. The SE has a wide thin that felt more like a pattern regular to my hands. The weight on the SE is 8 pounds dead on. The fretwork was what you expect from PRS, and there were no fret edges that needed to be filed. The abalone inlays were killer, and the fit and finish were very clean.
If I didn’t have a core SAS, I’d be all over this guitar. My core sings better with the amp cranked, but I could feel the SE vibrating beautifully. Remember, each is its own thing. While I’m tempted because the blue is so beautiful, it didn’t give me enough separation from my core to justify buying it. They do not sound the same, but I have enough guitars already (Yes, I said it). If you wanna a killer guitar that sounds different from any other, BUY IT! This is a ridiculous price for a lotta guitar! And the website demo is spot on if you want to hear all the sounds the guitar makes. Winna-Winna-chicken Dinna!
Okay, I caved in and got one.

I have already done so. How did you set the pickup height on the jb?
Mines pretty close to the strings but I'm thinking of lowering it a bit...its like too much output right now....try adjusting the amp a bit if you need brighter??

I'm looking at one of these, but am facing the all-too-familiar conundrum of not wanting to increase the size of my guitar stable. Presently, I'm considering whether I "need" to hold on to an SE Custom 24 quilt and/or an SE Santana. A third option is to unload an Epi LP Plus Top Pro with upgraded pups, which I tend not to play due to the string spacing being a bit confined relative to my PRS "collection" (in addition to the aforementioned are an HBII and 277 that are permanent residents).

Tonally speaking, if I were to replace either the Cu24 or Santana with the SAS, do you guys have an opinion as to which is the better direction?

Tonally speaking, if I were to replace either the Cu24 or Santana with the SAS, do you guys have an opinion as to which is the better direction?
Which is a better direction is completely a personal preference that's going to vary for everyone for different reasons.. The HSH is going to open up more options. After modding my core SAS it's become a Swiss army of a guitar but I wouldn't part with my Cu24 or KL33 for it. Not sure which would win in a cage match if there could only be one. All are a win for different reasons.

Back