PRS Wood Library Studio wood combo

bluemoon

What do you guys think to this combo. Maple top. Swamp ash back. Torrefied Maple Neck. Ziricote fretboard.

Assume the swamp ash back might give it a little more high-end content tone wise. Never tried a torrefied neck or ziricote fretboard before. I think the only think I don't like about the guitar is the smoked black hardware.

I have this combo on a Wood Library Custom 24....
4pfbld2.jpg
T7YR8g8.jpg
8j4QNLG.jpg

I'd definitely say it lends itself to the "brighter" side of tonal spectrum, very piano-like. This one really rings like a bell....I chalk it up to the maple/ash combo because I have another with similar build specs (the other has a maple fret board, though) and it sits in a very similar tonal wheelhouse.

This is the only PRS I've had to switch pickups on, though, as I felt the stock 58/15LT's were just far too weak and thin for my tastes in this particular guitar (I do like them in 594's I've played, though). I replaced the pickups with "M" pickups and this thing sounds fantastic for me.

I'd be interested in hearing what this wood combo would do for the Narrowfields in the Studio model....my guess is it'd be very articulate with fantastic note separation. But I suspect I'd ditch the 58/15LT in the bridge, as that position specifically just did not do it for me whatsoever (but that's just me and what I look for in a bridge pickup).

The Studio is one of my favorite guitars. It straddles the line between a Gibson and Fender style guitar with its HNN configuration and 5 way switch. I think your wood combination would push it even further to the Fender side tonally. I think you should do it!

My 76 Les Paul has a maple neck. I think it makes the guitar sound brighter and less dark than other Les Paul’s I’ve compared it against.

I understand PRS had a core swamp ash special nearfield pickups that had a wood combination similar to what you are proposing. I saw this video with sound samples and a review of that guitar:

Last edited:
This is the guitar I am looking at. I think the only thing that bothers me is the black finish on the hardware. Gives it an 80s look!

I personally am not a fan of a maple cap on swamp ash. I would either want mahogany for the back or a solid swamp ash body. I have have one PRS that has a flamed maple neck and Mexican ebony fretboard on it. The neck does add some brightness and snap to it. I also have an older core SAS that has an all maple neck with the swamp ash body. This would be a combination that I think would work for the Studio. Mine is the normal PRS wood combination. It works well for the guitar I have.

I see the one you are looking at is at Eddies. The Studio I bought in the fall of last year was purchased from there. Call them and talk to Granville. Ask him how this one varies in tone compared to the standard woods they are made from. He is pretty good with these. He told me when I bought mine that it was one of the good ones and I can't argue with him on that. It is a guitar that has continued to impress me every time I play it.

Yeah...just not sure the upside is for this wood combo. The black finished hardware is bothering me for some reason.

Last edited:
I don't know...with your being hesitant with the wood combos, and not liking the aesthetic of the hardware, it sounds to me like this one would be one I'd pass up if I were you.

You can either take a chance on the tone woods, hoping you'll like the sound and resonance, then pay to change out the hardware to something that you like aesthetically. Or, you can hold out and find the guitar that ticks all your boxes.

Lots and lots of magnificent PRS guitars out there...get the one that you know you'll enjoy and will inspire you to create music.

Yeah...just not sure the upside is that great for this wood combo. The black finished hardware is bothering me for some reason.
I'd be happy to trade you on the black hardware! I have a 2021 CU24 in near mint condition (see photos here). You could have the mixed hardware on it and I will take the black hardware!! I actually just contacted a dealer about trying to get me some PRS black hardware and they said no go ;~(( All this said, the pickups in my CU24 are the stock US 85/15's, so I would not be able to help you get rid of the black 58/15 in the bridge position of that fiddle, unless you wanted to replace it with an 85/15!!! LMK if you decide to buy it and would be interested in making a trade.

Last edited:
I have this combo on a Wood Library Custom 24....
4pfbld2.jpg
T7YR8g8.jpg
8j4QNLG.jpg

I'd definitely say it lends itself to the "brighter" side of tonal spectrum, very piano-like. This one really rings like a bell....I chalk it up to the maple/ash combo because I have another with similar build specs (the other has a maple fret board, though) and it sits in a very similar tonal wheelhouse.

This is the only PRS I've had to switch pickups on, though, as I felt the stock 58/15LT's were just far too weak and thin for my tastes in this particular guitar (I do like them in 594's I've played, though). I replaced the pickups with "M" pickups and this thing sounds fantastic for me.

I'd be interested in hearing what this wood combo would do for the Narrowfields in the Studio model....my guess is it'd be very articulate with fantastic note separation. But I suspect I'd ditch the 58/15LT in the bridge, as that position specifically just did not do it for me whatsoever (but that's just me and what I look for in a bridge pickup).
Beauty!

I'd be happy to trade you on the black hardware! I have a 2021 CU24 in near mint condition (see photos here). You could have the mixed hardware on it and I will take the black hardware!! I actually just contacted a dealer about trying to get me some PRS black hardware and they said no go ;~(( All this said, the pickups in my CU24 are the stock US 85/15's, so I would not be able to help you get rid of the black 58/15 in the bridge position of that fiddle, unless you wanted to replace it with an 85/15!!! LMK if you decide to buy it and would be interested in making a trade.
Hey thanks for the offer. I decided this one wasn't the right one for me, especially for the extra money. Think I will just get a standard core version.

Just “on paper” that list reads as too bright for my comfort zone too. Aesthetics totally aside, Ash can be warm, but often that sort of slightly scooped mid, brilliant lows and HIGHS. Plus Ziricote (ebony-esque snappy highs), plus maple neck (enhanced highs). Maple cap too (more snap)…

I’d be more than a little worried it’d be too bright.

That’s a try before you buy combo IMO.
Certain recipes are pretty. Tried and true. Some of these builds seem like someone either knows something most of us don’t, or they just picked “cool” looking wood figure with zero worry about how it’d sound.

It is totally possible to chuck together a totally gorgeous guitar that no one will ever want to hear amplified. Haha!

Just “on paper” that list reads as too bright for my comfort zone too. Aesthetics totally aside, Ash can be warm, but often that sort of slightly scooped mid, brilliant lows and HIGHS. Plus Ziricote (ebony-esque snappy highs), plus maple neck (enhanced highs). Maple cap too (more snap)…

I’d be more than a little worried it’d be too bright.

That’s a try before you buy combo IMO.
Certain recipes are pretty. Tried and true. Some of these builds seem like someone either knows something most of us don’t, or they just picked “cool” looking wood figure with zero worry about how it’d sound.

It is totally possible to chuck together a totally gorgeous guitar that no one will ever want to hear amplified. Haha!
Yeah, I agree. I was looking for a Studio and ran into this option. But I think I would be better off with a tried and true standard core.

Last edited:
Back