PRS SE Swamp Ash Special!

frankencat

Guitarded
If it is.. it's gonna sell!!! I was just playing my SAS and thinking what an awesome guitar it is. Sure I've done some mods- freeway 6 way, 5815LT neck, and 5708 bridge. But that guitar really does out strat my strat. Sure there's some things a strat does better, but man is it close in those departments, and it does so much more.

Last edited:
Interesting that it only has a 3 way toggle too. Guess they didn’t care about the out of phase positions.

Interesting that it only has a 3 way toggle too. Guess they didn’t care about the out of phase positions.

"Out of phase" is a misnomer. All positions are generally in phase on three pickup guitars. Anyway, the original SAS has a push/pull that added the middle pickup to all positions and split either the neck or bridge pickup (depending on year) to get the quacky tones. Surely they'll have something similar going on here.

I love my SAS. Mine is from the first year they did the 5 way blade selector on them. It is one of those probably never going to sell guitars for me. I swapped the pickups in it but still have the stock pickups.

Yeah, very cool. I’m not in the market for a new guitar, but still…

"Out of phase" is a misnomer. All positions are generally in phase on three pickup guitars. Anyway, the original SAS has a push/pull that added the middle pickup to all positions and split either the neck or bridge pickup (depending on year) to get the quacky tones. Surely they'll have something similar going on here.
So is the middle position on the toggle just the middle pickup, or both neck and bridge? Basically, can you have just the middle pickup on in this configuration?

So is the middle position on the toggle just the middle pickup, or both neck and bridge? Basically, can you have just the middle pickup on in this configuration?
On the OG SAS the push pull activates the middle pickup and splits either the bridge or neck. All 3 are activated in middle position. Middle Only isn't an option with stock wiring.

With the freeway switch I wired it for middle only as an option.

That type of switch is very limited in function. It's just A, A+B, B and that's it. So with push/pull down you get the normal bridge, both, neck.

To get middle only, you have to get a little clever with another switch, or sacrifice the tone knob for a separate middle pickup volume, or use a rotary switch, or use a Freeway switch.

I prefer big chunky necks, but even with a wide thin, I’ll probably buy it day one. I have a thing for hsh guitars. I just got a 509. And I’ve been considering modding my se594 to be hsh, by adding a freeway switch and some fishman fluence pickups I have sitting around. But it might be better to wait and add the pickups to one of these. :)

Back