PRS SE Swamp Ash Special!

My iris blue has to go back to M/F. Won't stay in tune, sharp fret ends.
Ordered another one from Ash.

Playing mine, I'm thinking of going the 3 x mini-toggle route... a couple of 2-way mini-toggles between the volume and tone controls to split the humbuckers, and a 3-way mini-toggle between the tone and pickup selector switch for middle pickup on/off/only... sure, it means drilling and adding controls, but it's not like this is some vintage collectable, and it's unlikely to decrease the potential resale value as long as it's done well... still playing with the idea in my head though...
Free-Way-03 schematics, 4-pot, Pt. 1 (PDF) My guitar tech is recommending a Free-Way switch (which other SAS owners here have praised). Their HSH schematic here is intriguing – it offers 6 pickup combinations, plus series options on a push-pull. Wonder if it's adaptable to 2 pots, with a 2nd push-pull to split the outside pickups to 1 coil?

Free-Way-03 schematics, 4-pot, Pt. 1 (PDF) My guitar tech is recommending a Free-Way switch (which other SAS owners here have praised). Their HSH schematic here is intriguing – it offers 6 pickup combinations, plus series options on a push-pull. Wonder if it's adaptable to 2 pots, with a 2nd push-pull to split the outside pickups to 1 coil?
I wired mine with the push pull on my core.

Bank 1 Neck HB/Both HB/Bridge HB
Bank 2 Neck spilt/Kill/Bridge Split

Pull the tone pot and the middle can be added to any of those configuration. I wired a kill in the second bank to have the middle pickup alone with the P/P engaged. Total 11 tones.

I personally don't like a P/P on my volume and prefer the core Vol pot taper.

*taps fingers slowly on desk, feigning patience*

Still waiting to pick mine up. The locking tuners my dealer thought he had in stock were actually not, so waiting on them to arrive so they can be installed and yes...have it set up with 10s ;) Still marveling at the weight discrepancies and quite happy mine clocks in at 7.1#

It's in my hands...literally. Good thing no one else is on this side of the office today! :p:D NGD post tomorrow once I get some decent pics. Definitely glad I had it set up with 10s.

EDIT: OK, one gratuitous pic in bad light, you know, because pictures or it isn't real

IMG-7724.jpg

Last edited:
It's in my hands...literally. Good thing no one else is on this side of the office today! :p:D NGD post tomorrow once I get some decent pics. Definitely glad I had it set up with 10s.

EDIT: OK, one gratuitous pic in bad light, you know, because pictures or it isn't real

IMG-7724.jpg
Looks like mine!! How's the weight on yours??

Nice match of the grain. Looks great!

Wow that one is killer!!

That looks like a million bucks.

S

Smokin'! Excellent score!

Thanks guy's, I feel very fortunate to have found such a beautiful specimen! the back is kinda "Orange'ish" I think they shot the whole thing yellow before doing the darker tint, since the colors are translucent it produced the Orange'ish look on the back.

Charles

Charles

New user here! I received my Iri Blue SAS this week from a dealer in CA. Two piece body; really nicely done scarf neck joint; 7.8lbs- all great! Frets- not so nice. First fret was low so it buzzed on second fret. The fall away region was dodgy too but didn't impact play-ability. Really weird situation like the neck was thin at that point or something because the frets all measured about the same. Fret rocker and straight edge say it needs leveling. I have the skills and the tools so I leveled the frets and did the fret ends. Plays great now but I'm a bit disappointed. Took off about 5-6 thousands to get the frets leveled so I measure the frets at about .040ish now. In the end, I didn't want to send it back because of the hassle and the wood/weight was what I was looking for so I just leveled and set-up. Cut the nut too. I also killed the coil split on the neck PU as that tone didn't work for me- lifted the resistor to ground. Mine now just adds the middle PU to the full humbucker sound and it works great.

This my second SE. I grabbed a DGT in January but that unit was wired backward/wrong from the factory so I'm batting a thousand with PRS at this point! I tech on guitars so no biggie and I do like both of these guitars. I think PRS has the best trem and the hardware is decent. The SAS is different sounding than the DGT and both are sounding great for me now!

Peace,

Mike D

Back