PRS SE Santana club

imagervj.jpg

Meet FRANKENTANA. Knurled knobs, locking tuners, tremol-no, zakk wylde emg's, black pickup rings, graph tech saddles.

Soon on going to put skinny top heavy bottom strings on "it"

why you ask? WHY NOT!

turned Carlos into El Diablo.

imagervj.jpg

Meet FRANKENTANA. Knurled knobs, locking tuners, tremol-no, zakk wylde emg's, black pickup rings, graph tech saddles.

Soon on going to put skinny top heavy bottom strings on "it"

why you ask? WHY NOT!

turned Carlos into El Diablo.

Ha ha. Cool.

Why don't I see the picture of the guitar? I see the other pictures in the thread. Do I need to change something to see this picture?

I would like to put some Fender tele/P bass type flat top knurled chrome knobs on my Santana SE. I have them on several guitars and they give that little extra chrome that accentuates the chrome trem or bridge. I especially don't like the "amp knobs" that Fender is putting on several of their guitars.

Sounds like you have a "wailing" guitar there.

The guitar is indeed nice.I am interested in availing advantage of pictures so as to be able topost the same, as well.

Ha ha. Cool.

Why don't I see the picture of the guitar? I see the other pictures in the thread. Do I need to change something to see this picture?

I would like to put some Fender tele/P bass type flat top knurled chrome knobs on my Santana SE. I have them on several guitars and they give that little extra chrome that accentuates the chrome trem or bridge. I especially don't like the "amp knobs" that Fender is putting on several of their guitars.

Sounds like you have a "wailing" guitar there.

I can´t see the picture either!... very intereted on how you do the name change... i want to do it on my santana and my future ZM

I delete my imageshack acct so it must have broken the links. I'll try to repost them on photobucket. I didnt change the stenciled on name but that would be cool. I may at some point strip it and refinish it.

Last edited:
I just played my new Santana SE thru both my stock DSL40C with the Celestion Seventy/80 speaker, and my DSL100H and new Avatar cab with twin Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. I have both amps set to identical settings on the knobs.

It is interesting that there is a notable difference in the sound I'm getting from each amp. Personally I think the Avatar cab with the Swamp Thangs sounds much more full and musical. My fiancée also noticed a big difference in the sound and she is not a guitar player. I used the clean channel with the crunch button engaged. Almost no hiss by the way, whereas the Lead voices both have definitely noticeable hiss, which I think is completely normal for a high gain channel fairly decently cranked. The clean channel, even with the crunch engaged is very quiet in comparison. The hiss on the lead voices does not bother me and it is smooth and not like static.

I also noticed that with these amps, if you crank them up a little above living room level that they really come to life with an awesome overdrive sound. I'm not talking about cranking them up all the way at all, just a nice combination of the gain and volume levels. At a more restrained household volume the amps also sound great, but much cleaner and definitely do not enter into the "screaming" mode as they do when cranked a little. That screaming mode is very gratifying to hear and changes the whole vibe of whatever I'm playing.

I'm very satisfied with my yellow Santana SE. It compares very well to my 2012 Gibson heritage red SG Standard with the stock Gibson 490/498 pickups. These Gibson pickups sound very excellent to me and the Santana's pickups definitely sound as good or better when doing the same things with them.

Great thread. I picked one of these up today. I think its a great guitar so far. I really like the neck and the pickups . It plays easy and sounds super. This is the vintage sunburst and I think it looks great.

37e0d5a68c7c3c486e3959c7f8a9bfa3.jpg

083bd801c26c8f507e8412717051b415.jpg

001f88f6ab803c57b2a2d01c29eca553.jpg

bd490aaab6c4fb4522606595e5d701b5.jpg

Generic switches are not exactly like PRS SE switches. I was unable to find a plastic screw on tip for my PRS SE switch from any of my guitars or at the guitar shop.

I would try contacting this guy from PRS and ask him where to get a switch. They will probably send you a new one free.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=674
FF to 2019 and I purchased one two months ago. I love it! I could have kept a 2017 version with a very loose toggle switch. My 2018 is fine. Play through a Marshall DSL5CR. Plays a little dark sometimes. Working on that.

I didn't know there was such a club... But, I'll throw down my membership card!

Dt0avbV.jpg

I am still getting used to the guitar. I bought it used last year and haven't spent enough time with it (we moved across the country and it's been in storage for way too long!). I spent a good bit fo time setting it up when I got it (it was used). It may still need some more tweaking. Plus, I think the 10's on it might be too light for me. It's almost too easy to play... too slinky feeling.

I've also noticed the ergonomics on it are a bit different than my other guitars. That 24 fret thing. It's not as different as the SG I sold last Summer. But, the nut is a touch further out there and finding the frets int he middle of the neck take a quick peak down on stage. The trem is more sensitive than I've ever experienced, but is very nice and smooth. It really is a great playing and a decent sounding guitar. It's just gonna take a little more time for me to settle in on it.

I didn't know there was such a club... But, I'll throw down my membership card!

Dt0avbV.jpg

I am still getting used to the guitar. I bought it used last year and haven't spent enough time with it (we moved across the country and it's been in storage for way too long!). I spent a good bit fo time setting it up when I got it (it was used). It may still need some more tweaking. Plus, I think the 10's on it might be too light for me. It's almost too easy to play... too slinky feeling.

I've also noticed the ergonomics on it are a bit different than my other guitars. That 24 fret thing. It's not as different as the SG I sold last Summer. But, the nut is a touch further out there and finding the frets int he middle of the neck take a quick peak down on stage. The trem is more sensitive than I've ever experienced, but is very nice and smooth. It really is a great playing and a decent sounding guitar. It's just gonna take a little more time for me to settle in on it.

Thank you for your service.

Among several Cores and two S2s, I own three SEs: a Santana, a CU 22 Semi, and a Zac Myers bought modded with Duncan Antiquities (OMG!). The first two guitars had faulty switches requiring a few visits back to the tech for cleaning and tweaks, etc. until he finally gave up and put new switches in. No more problems. The ZM came to me already modded, and it has had zero issues with its switch, but I’m also figuring that when it got the Antiquities then the pots and switches were probably upgraded at the same time.

One of my S2s is a wonderful Reclaimed Vela, and it, too, has a MIK 3-way toggle. No problems there so far, but I have to wonder if that part might be spec’ed a bit better than the regular MIK SE models. (Anybody here know for sure?)

Anyway, past those original faulty SE switches—the ONLY issues I’ve ever had with anything to do with PRS—all three are fantastic instruments. But you do hear about faulty SE switches much too often, IME/IMO.

Great thread, though. I’ll try to post some photos of my Santana soon!

Last edited:
Guys, first post in the forum, seeking some info, hope you guys can help.

Im planning to get a custom guitar with my local luthier. It will be a 335 without the f -holles (like lucille), and im planning in changing the fretboard to the santana specs, but with 22 frets. Reasons to do so: the wieder and shorter fretboard seems a good idea to me, a slow shredder, hoping to get more "jelly" string feel and space, without the other strings getting in the way. I play an les paul ( recent model )with 10s, and, besides the fact that the lp is pretty uncorfotable ( after practicing hours my back starts to cry ), i have that feeling that a wieder fretboard would be good. Also, i play slide in standart tuning, so my action gotta be a little high. Questions:

- how does the guitar feel compared to an lp? Any major changes? Will try the prs personally in a store, but wanna know from u guys who played her for a while.
- an tuneomatic + stoptail will work for this fretboard?
- i dont play with 9s to get nice string fell because sometimes i hit hard and im afraid of breaking them ( not a question, but forgot to mention it )
- other opinions?

Well, thats it. Take care!!

Back