PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

I found the hfs on the s2's an improvement over the se hfs ,maybe just my ears but I don't find them that hot. Very versatile pickup for sure. The #7 pickup I have yet to hear anybody complain about them. I have not used them though.

20140818_163958.jpg

Core on the left and an s2 cu24 on the right .....

The thing is: in terms of the construction quality, attention to details, I put the SE's are in the same level as USA Standard Fender's and USA Gibson LP Studio's (many times even better than the Gibsons - their quality control is really awfull at this time!).
So, the S2 has to be better (this is me assuming, based on my experience with the SE line, because haven't tried one yet... :( but I'm trying to!)

I have an American Strat and I tried a few (LOT!) Gibson Studios, and there's no doubt about it in my mind.
The main question is about the used WOOD for the guitar body!
That's the ultimate advantage of the S2's, compared to the SE's. It's the only thing you can't change on a guitar and is the main culprit regarding tone...
The way I see things, if the SE line (which comes with lesser quality woods than the american models) sounds amazingly good, than the S2 will definitely be a step up!

I think PRS found a pretty good win-win formula with the S2 line: hitting the gap that existed between the SE line and the much more expensive Core Models (+) improving the woods and maintaining excelent overall quality (which is the PRS trademark!).
Like the SE's, you (should) get so much more guitar than what you're paying for!

I'm trying to resist buying one without trying it out....... and I'm going CRAZY trying to decide which one is my favourite: 24 or 22??? Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the 22 over the 24 mainly because of the covered PU's... but I love the 24 frets neck... tonewise, I don't know which kind of sound I prefer.............. the modern sound of the 24? Or the more "vintage" sound of the 22? The difference is subtle, but it's there...... and I like both of them!
But I can't have both (that would solve my problems!! ahahah), so I'll have to choose................ DAMN!! I'm GASING for an S2!! lol

Last edited:
To be honest I see the S2 line as almost their own thing and not a stepping stone on the way from the SE line to a Core with a Ten Top. The S2 line aren't good guitars for the money, they are just good guitars, period. And I've really fallen in love with the asymmetric bevel.
After owning one for six months and playing the hell out of it I don't know which models from Gibson to compare it to. It kind of falls into the Studio range but seems much more complete than those models as PRS has designed cost/price into the guitar rather than subtracting fit and finish to save money. I'd at least put these into the Gibson LP Standard or high end SG categories, but even that's a stretch.
And right now while I don't have actual GAS, I'm planning on getting a S2 Starla after the new year for the sole reason that it's just so different than most anything that's around. And I like different. :)

I feel the same. It's not there to "terminate" the SE Line.
And it's not a "bang for the buck" guitar. It's good on it's own.
Kind of like PRS itself... many people look at PRS's and think "It's a hybrid... it can go Straty and Gibby". It's not! It has it's own "voice", a mid range and highs that you won't get with a Strat or with a Gibson (at least to my ears). And in terms of sound clarity, there are few who can match PRS.

Last edited:
"It's a hybrid... it can go Straty and Gibby". It's not! It has it's own "voice",

Right, and that was one of the greatest myths created about PRS IMO, hey I'll admit to even believing it myself.

I'd at least put these into the Gibson LP Standard or high end SG categories, but even that's a stretch.

I agree with you here (and with the overarching concept that the S2's are their own thing). I discovered the Mira almost a year ago when I was shopping for an SG Standard and for the same money it was a better overall guitar and I fell in love with it. I think the SG Standard is really its closest rival, but I think the Mira does more things well than the SG, which is basically a one-trick pony. I've since picked up an SG because getting the Mira didn't completely extinguish the GAS and I do like it a lot but it only does "that one thing" well whereas the Mira is incredibly versatile and has one of the nicest necks I have ever played.

And I'd like to add that I prefer the stripped-down aesthetic of the S2 series to the more tarted-up Core line, or even some of the SE's - I have an SE245 and I chose mine because the top was so dark you almost couldn't see the flame in it but over time the sunlight has dramatically lightened the top and now the flame can be clearly seen...and I don't really care for it.

When I got my first PRS, an SE Singlecut Tremolo in vintage sunburst (mint condition used (1/4) of original), it was evident after a short time playing it thru my very decent amps that the guitar is not like a Fender or a Gibson. It has its own sonic signature that is quite remarkably good sounding. Plus my PRSi feel great and play easily. My latest one has the wide/thin neck and I really dig that neck.

I totally dig the neck on my new strat though, as well. It is a very decent strat and it doesn't sound like my PRSi.

Gibson has corporate and QC problems right now, obviously, and this is reflected in their marketing strategy and products. I did see a real nice sunburst Gibson LP Studio, mint condition, yesterday and the wood looked beautiful. The guitar looked beautiful. It is only a few months old and it's (<) half for it. Nice guitar, but it doesn't sound like a PRS.

I suppose if I put a Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus in one of my PRSi that it would sound a lot more like a Gibson. I don't know but I might find out.

Has anyone here tried that, and if so how did it sound?

Last edited:
I suppose if I put a Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus in one of my PRSi that it would sound a lot more like a Gibson. I don't know but I might find out.

Has anyone here tried that, and if so how did it sound?
There really isn't any magic in those pickups. They're fine, but they won't make a PRS sound like a Gibson. You could take any old pickup, wind it to 8K with 42AWG wire and alnico 2 magnets and it's going to sound a lot like a 57 classic.

There really isn't any magic in those pickups. They're fine, but they won't make a PRS sound like a Gibson. You could take any old pickup, wind it to 8K with 42AWG wire and alnico 2 magnets and it's going to sound a lot like a 57 classic.

I was anticipating that someone with experience in this would add some substance to the idea that even if you put some nice Gibson pickups in a PRS that it still wouldn't sound like a Gibson. I guess that reveals that the PRSi have a character of their own that is actually independent of the "F" and "G" corporations.

Thanks for that feedback. I suppose many have tried that strategy and found that it didn't produce the anticipated results.

Maybe start a new thread about that Duffy as most of this thread is about the S2 line. :)

Right, and that was one of the greatest myths created about PRS IMO, hey I'll admit to even believing it myself.

Is it a myth?
For instance: I can clearly distinguish a PRS from a Strat, by ear... That showed me that the voicings are really different and that all of that talking is not "mambo-jambo" marketing from PRS...

The part that I thought was a myth was this...
"It's a hybrid... it can go Straty and Gibby".

It's like you said, they have their own voice, though it seems you can often get the beef of a Gibson with the clarity of a Fender though it sounds like neither. At least to me.:)

No problem, I wondered if my post would have been taken wrong. Bad writing on my part. :)

No harm done ;)

Just check out the richness of the Custom 24 in Bernie's hands (from 7:07 forward)

Damn! What a tone!

P.S. And those white rings make the guitar look SOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know for sure if some of these S2's, like the S2 Custom 22 and S2 Singlecut, have "solid" flamed maple caps on the mahogany bodies? Or do they have plain maple caps with a flamed maple veneer like a lot of SE's?

A solid flamed maple cap would be very beautiful and is something that I could definitely dig compared to the veneer. The veneer ones that I have are indeed beautiful, but I would like to have a real flamed maple slab on the top, much more.

I'm definitely considering getting an S2 Custom 22, with the nickel covered pickups which I also find attractive compared to many guitars with open coils. It seems like some guitars just look better with open coil pickups than others, to my eye.

Feedback appreciated.

Back