PRS S2 Series - USA Built!!! For $1179!!!

It's been pretty well documented that the wood used in the S2's is from the same stock as any other US-made PRS. Many of the forum members have been to the factory and seen the production in person and can attest to this.

It was stated by PRS that they will be using lower grades of selected woods on the S2's, unless I'm mistaken.

So are you suggesting that they are simply sorting thru their inventory of woods and selecting the less prime items for use in the S2's?

I can't imagine one of the high class USA tops having a top like the ones I have seen on the pictures of the S2's they are selling on some of the major internet places. They don't look like the same quality of wood to me and I can't imagine that PRS would source their hardwood in a way that there would be enough lower quality wood left over, rejected, to fulfill the S2 production requirement. I think that the S2 hardwoods would have to be sourced at a specified quality level, different from the expensive USA models. I'm positive that they are not made from scrap wood from the expensive USA model production process.

Also the tops on the S2's does not compare to the core USA tops when observed in the internet pictures on the big internet sites that sell S2's. How could this feasibly be the same wood? I suggest that the wood is sourced and graded specially for the S2 production operation.

Maybe you know more about this than me - but how do you explain the obvious differences in the appearance of the tops between the core and S2 lines? To me, there is an obvious difference in the grade of the wood, between the two lines.

I, however, really like the S2's and don't require the spectacular beauty of a core PRS; even though I may buy one some day.

I think we have to be realistic when we consider the actual production operation of the S2 line. Many of the elements can not be of the same quality as the core line. I believe that the materials are of excellent quality though and may soon buy a S2 Singlecut or Custom 22.

This stuff just wears me down....

I would be ever so grateful if Shawn would put this endless wood grade debate to rest for good.

Last edited:
Duffy, I think you may be conflating "quality" and "appearance." If you are talking about the maple caps, then yes, they are sorted by appearance just as they have always been. What you feel may not be good enough appearance-wise for a transparent finish on a core model may have simply been sprayed with an opaque color in the past. Quality-wise the wood is the same, as is the mahogany used.

Duffy, I think you may be conflating "quality" and "appearance."
Yes, confusing, conflating, etc. The figuring in a maple top is not indicative of its tonal quality, or its quality to be used in manufacturing. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not as highly figured, therefore not as hard to find, therefore not as highly desired, therefore less expensive, and therefore easier on your wallet.

Yes, confusing, conflating, etc. The figuring in a maple top is not indicative of its tonal quality, or its quality to be used in manufacturing. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not as highly figured, therefore not as hard to find, therefore not as highly desired, therefore less expensive, and therefore easier on your wallet.

This

It was stated by PRS that they will be using lower grades of selected woods on the S2's, unless I'm mistaken.

As others have noted, the "quality" of the wood will be the same, but the "figuring" of the wood will be less spectacular, much like to wood of "normal" Les Pauls, Strats, and the PRSi that get painted solid colors. There may still be opportunity for good figuring, but the better figuring will normally always be reserved for the Core line. The maple cap is the major focus of figuring, so the hog bodies may, for all intents and purposes, be identical between the S2 and core lines.

I also would assume that PRS will source the S2 from the same supplier(s) as the Core line, but with a lower specification for figuring, just like the wood they source for the solid-color painted bodies. Heck, for all I know PRS already uses multiple suppliers for their woods, and this hardly adds the tiniest of wrinkles to their procurement process: "Dave, order 50% more A-figured maple for the S2 line and the solid-color Cores from Suppliers XYZ and UVW, and keep the AA- through AAAA-figured wood at the current levels from Supplier ABC and DEF."

And I would also assume PRS may not wish to disclose any of these details, as it may be considered proprietary to their process, and so we may never know officially.

I dunno if that makes sense to anyone.

Last edited:
I heard on the interweb that the wood is from Korea. And you know if it's on the interweb it must be true.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a French model.

As others have noted, the "quality" of the wood will be the same, but the "figuring" of the wood will be less spectacular, much like to wood of "normal" Les Pauls, Strats, and the PRSi that get painted solid colors. There may still be opportunity for good figuring, but the better figuring will normally always be reserved for the Core line. The maple cap is the major focus of figuring, so the hog bodies may, for all intents and purposes, be identical between the S2 and core lines.

I also would assume that PRS will source the S2 from the same supplier(s) as the Core line, but with a lower specification for figuring, just like the wood they source for the solid-color painted bodies. Heck, for all I know PRS already uses multiple suppliers for their woods, and this hardly adds the tiniest of wrinkles to their procurement process: "Dave, order 50% more A-figured maple for the S2 line and the solid-color Cores from Suppliers XYZ and UVW, and keep the AA- through AAAA-figured wood at the current levels from Supplier ABC and DEF."

And I would also assume PRS may not wish to disclose any of these details, as it may be considered proprietary to their process, and so we may never know officially.

I dunno if that makes sense to anyone.

I totally agree with this.

I also really like these S2 guitars and want to play one and anticipate buying one.

I am "highly" impressed with the solid flamed maple tops, even if they are not as spectacular as the core series tops. They are beautiful solid flamed maple tops.

PRSes operations and practices in obtaining their wood is totally their business, not public information I'm sure. They already made their statements on the woods that are being used in the new line. This may be proprietary information and even intellectual property, I don't know, and it isn't really important.

The S2 guitars are very remarkable in their own right, in reality, free of speculation. I would buy one sight unseen; which is what I may have to do because there are no PRS dealers near me to try one out at within less than five hours round trip, including checking out the guitars.

Just the tops alone on the flamed maple ones are enough to impress me enough to buy one. I have confidence that the guitars are awesome in their own right. They are different from the core lines, but very impressive on their own.

Let's hear some reports from people that have already purchased one, if anyone has one yet.

Lots of Mira owners here. I like mine because there isn't any flame, or stripes or bling to distract from my good looks.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a French model.

Mike, I owe you an apology. When you texted this to me, I reacted rudely and said I didn't believe you.

But now that I see it here...

Let's hear some reports from people that have already purchased one, if anyone has one yet.[/QUOTE]

I've got 2 older custom 24's and I"ve got a S2 custom 24. IMO you can buy the S2 unseen as long as you like a custom 24....... They hold up well in comparison. I would have preferred a USA trem though. The MIK works fine, I just like the feel of the MIU more.
Fact is that I'm considering buyin' a S2 singelcut semi-hollow, as soon as I get the cash sorted out ;)

I've got 2 older custom 24's and I"ve got a S2 custom 24. IMO you can buy the S2 unseen as long as you like a custom 24....... They hold up well in comparison. I would have preferred a USA trem though. The MIK works fine, I just like the feel of the MIU more.
Fact is that I'm considering buyin' a S2 singelcut semi-hollow, as soon as I get the cash sorted out ;)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are happy with the S2.

I'm seriously working on getting an S2 Singlecut or Custom 22. I have a couple semi-solid guitars; you know, thick mahogany backs and thick tops with one or two "f" holes. Both of them are very cool and don't feedback. One is a beautiful Schecter C-1 Electric/Acoustic (regular C-1 style, looks like a superstrat), and a G and L ASAT Classic Tribute with a thick mahogany back and figured ash top. I think you will like the semi-hollow Singlecut. They look great.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of you guys stripped back your USA Core goldtops, frost blue metallics, seafoam greens, multifoils etc - any opaque finish basically - and found that suddenly it looks a lot like an S2!

Wow...just skimmed over this....mess....
Who cares? The s2 looks to be very nice guitars. I'm looking forward to trying some myself someday.
If I like the particular guitar or not has nothing to do with where the wood came from...

I just bought a S2 Singlecut in Antique white. LOVE it. feels every bit as good and rings every bit as good as my P22. and BTW wood grading is for VISUAL purposes only by ANY manufacture. I am sure that all the Mahogany used is same stuff as core. The maple tops are still good and maple but do not maybe have the visual appeal thus lower grade. Mine is solid white so who cares what the heck the visual grade is on the maple it is still maple and sounds incredible. The difference in the wood from the SE models I believe would be the way PRS dries their wood here in the states vs the Korean factory making the SE guitars. Yup quality would be different but no GRADING applied to it as grading again is visual appearance only.

I have a P22 with a nice top and really did not care if my S2 did not as it is a work horse and I did not pay the price to get a piece of art. why a person can get an SE with an amazing top is because it is a very thin lamination laid on top of an otherwise plain maple top. Jeese there are 50s Les Pauls with PLAIN maple tops that are some of the most sought after guitars. that Maple was NOT any lower in quality but would be by todays standards lower aesthetic grade.

I just bought a S2 Singlecut in Antique white. LOVE it. feels every bit as good and rings every bit as good as my P22. and BTW wood grading is for VISUAL purposes only by ANY manufacture. I am sure that all the Mahogany used is same stuff as core. The maple tops are still good and maple but do not maybe have the visual appeal thus lower grade. Mine is solid white so who cares what the heck the visual grade is on the maple it is still maple and sounds incredible. The difference in the wood from the SE models I believe would be the way PRS dries their wood here in the states vs the Korean factory making the SE guitars. Yup quality would be different but no GRADING applied to it as grading again is visual appearance only.
Let's see it! Love the White!

Back