PRS In Church?

I wish I could get back to that point.
Put me on bass, and I can chunk it out on the spot with some charts for the new ones. On guitar, I’m struggling to get songs down in the few days allowed.
Same here.
I can hear the bass lines and get them down quickly. Probably because it’s mostly just root notes and lock in with the kick. But the lead guitar is often two or three guitars; so I need to decide which one to do, or to use pieces of each. Also instead of simple roots, it’s often tiny repeating riffs based on scale or chord notes. Way different animal.

Anyone playing this weekend? I'm off this week, I have a few blocked out Sundays for October, but I'm playing for our Fall youth retreat this year at the end of October, so that'll be high energy and fun!

Share some set lists if you're playing. I love to see what other teams are doing, and I always love hearing new worship!
I agree. I think seeing each other’s song lists and videos is very helpful.
I’m on bass this coming week. Using a Ken Smith Black Tiger.

Great Things Ab
Holy Holy Holy (Jesus Reigns) A
I’ve Witnessed It C
Reckless Love Eb

I understand exactly what you mean by your sentiments, Gtrblder. After all, our worship should be all about Christ and point to the Word. But, I will differ a bit on the outlook. Biblically speaking, God used some on "pedestals" (and not) as examples to look to (or not). David was the object of much of the Lord's approval, yet not when he strayed. Job was highly recommended as a faithful follower for Satan to consider and then had him tested, etc.

My view is this...if a worship leader is onto a "world stage" (Chris Tomlin, Mark Hall, etc.), is that not to God's glory? Sure it is. Don't we all still screw up and sin at times? Yep...hence 1Jhn 1:9 comes along and reminds us how we have to turn from that ole sin nature within. So, if a bit of what seems like world fame or good financial fortune comes along. Not a thing wrong with that...consider it a blessing from the Lord. Still, there will be the human flaws that shine through like David's adultery, Jonah's thinking he's right about those Ninevites...but was wrong, etc. Then, that's for the Lord to correct.

Now, the opposite is also true. What if God intends for you to be on that stage (or whomever) and you refuse to take it? (Liken that to Moses not wanting to lead the people out of Egypt) Would that not also be sin in refusing to use a gift or talent the Lord gave? The Lord's own words to Moses were..."You will be like God to the people and Aaron will speak on your behalf." And, God did that only to help Moses get beyond his own lack of confidence.

Point is...if the Lord puts people on a stage to lead worship, share His word through music, lead someone to Christ...so be it. That's a great and honorable calling. I've learned these days not to let those straying from the word and falling into the greed trap cause me judge all efforts in that manner in the same way. If they're not sincere in their efforts, and they're true believers...the Lord will correct them.

On a similar note, my dad wasn't a believer...told us kids "all those TV preachers just want to take your money". Well, some do...some don't. Now I had an experience listening to an evangelistic "hellfire & damnation" preacher on a street corner and I told my pastor,"I almost went up to him and told him that style of beating it over someone's head deterred me for years." But, he said..."Don't do it. For as it might put off some, others will be led to Christ in that same way." That's what prompted me years ago to just stand back and view that bigger picture. Lol, and that reminds me of how much I don't know everything the Lord uses in this world...just need to answer that basic question...is it bringing Him the glory. So, I do understand your point in the ultimate quest of life of humbleness and portraying more of Christ and less of ourselves. Yet, He will use some in the limelight and that's ok, too.
Very well said

Forgive me for just finding this forum and haven't begun to start reading everything previous but 75% of what I play is for my home church-5Twelve City Church here in Austin, I also lead worship for the local Celebrate Recovery Ministry, and I'm so honored to be in the regular monthly rotation of churches here in Austin who do Church Under the Bridge for the area homeless every Sunday.

Here's where I get lengthy and a bit deep so if you wanna stop here, I completely understand.

Also, I believe the very first post referenced a Praise and Worship Bass Players Group (which I wish I had known about). Even though I have a PRS guitar addiction, the only reason I'm even a slightly above average guitarist now, is because I chose to play bass as my primary instrument 31 years ago when I was 13,

So I started Piano when I was 4 and after of what seemed like years of begging my parents to learn guitar, at 12 years old, they finally gave in under the following condition: I could learn guitar as long as I still played piano. Very begrudgingly, I agreed not having the slightest idea how valuable that has been my entire life as a musician. I was also extremely fortunate to have an instructor (who I owe any shred of musical ability I have retained) who taught guitar and piano .

After 2-3 years of Guitar lessons where I did find the transposition from piano to guitar extremely comfortable, I noticed that there's never any bassists. I also realize now that the structure and theory that had been branded into my brain via classical piano theory, I was extremely uncomfortable and lacked major confidence in being able to improvise and "color outside the lines'. Realizing I wasn't going to be the next Eddie Van Halen, I took up bass because the structure and staying in the pocket is the primary role of playing bass- unless you're Wooten, Marcus Miller, Jaco, or Les Claypool. I also knew I'd always have gigs as a bass player and that guitar players are a dime a dozen

Being a lefty was a heavy influence on my decision to take up bass. In fact, the first couple of bands I was in I played a right handed bass upside down and played backwards.

But again playing structured bass lines for 30 years while becoming a solid rhythm guitarist and always having piano theory no matter what instrument I picked up, turned me into the Swiss Army knife for every kind of music project imaginable.

And IDK if any of you guys had this experience but it was only within the last couple of years (thanks Covid) into my forties that it was like a light bulb just went off or I was struck by lightening, but all of the sudden all of the artists and bands that I thought all my life that their material was so complicated and unique that I'd never be able to play to their levels, all of the sudden became so easy to pick out and realize it was basically 3 chords just like every song. I find myself saying almost daily "That's all they were doing?! It's so easy!"

All of this long diatribe to say that now I'm the guitarist I always wanted to be since I was a teenager but even better My ability to play by ear and by theory thanks to my parents (who weren't musicians at all beyond my dad playing trumpet in Junior High), I'm figuring out EVH riffs and tapping runs, recognizing the common structure and riff stylings of Hendrix, Gilmour, EVH, The Edge, Andy Sommers, etc, etc, and having the confidence to at least get the structure- not the technique necessarily and replicate and adopt my guitar heroes techniques and stylings- all while my biggest idols and influences are multi-instrumentalists like McCartney, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Prince.

Again I'm sorry for such a lengthy 44 year recap of my musical journey. I will say, as a man of faith, who has no problem playing at bars until 2am on Saturdays and showing up Sunday mornings to play in the worship band, I've always recognized that what musical abilities I have are blessings and gifts from God that need to be used via outreach and ministry as a calling while still having fun playing party and drinking standards at bars, parties, weddings, etc

Again, sorry for the lengthy intro and I don't blame anyone if they don't read my post beyond the first few sentences.

I am looking forward to catching up on previous topics throughout this forum and am grateful to have fellow musicians who have similar passions.

Thanks

Chris Humphreys- Austin TX
Love it.

One of my fave worship songs we do. After Third Day took their year off (and before their farewell tour), I'd booked Mark Lee at a couple churches (ours included). I'd asked him one favor...to do 'I've Always Loved You' with myself and our drummer. He not only obliged the request, he worked out a medley with us to do that song, God of Wonders and tossed in Agnus Dei to end that. Well, we called up my wife to the stage to sing, another friend asked if she could play, Mark gave a thumbs up and her husband went and bought her djembe back to round out a really nice evening of great music.

What you don't know is...our drummer has Asperger's and Mark was superb working with him in what and where to come in regarding the beat and changeup at key points. That's a night I'll never forget.
Nice

After a lot of experimentation I've settled on the Twin Reverb model. Also using a 2x12 IR. I got a few different amp models from Worship Tutorials but I can't remeber if this particular IR came with the Twin Reverb or not.

I like it a lot. Most of the songs call for a good clean tone and the Twin excells at that. But it's got some "umph" to it. A very "robust" type of clean where the higher strings actually have some strength to them. Adding some Drive from the amp model helps a lot in that regard. It's not distorted but it really added that umph I mentioned. I also found it makes a great platform for some external OD pedals that I use.

I get compliments all the time on how good it sounds.
I had a Twin back in the’70s. Loved the rich clean tone. The spring reverb was fantastic.

I'm recovering from back to back gigs...Played a crazy rock band gig that had me in bed at 6am but jamming the PS singlecut was heaven...then got up at 9 am to haul my PA, bass rig and guitar rigs for a retreat to tackle these songs...it was so fun though, the kids in the retreat were totally stoked. In the band I'm sound guy, tech guy, and the only electric guitar for most songs except God's not dead and Take it all. One of the singers plays electric rythm in those.

Set 1
"The middle" Jimmy eat world ( yes secular song but it's a positive one and is good when kids are making an entrance)
"the Only name" Big daddy weave
"This is amazing grace" Phil Wickham
"Old church Choir" Zack Williams (this song can be fun with power chords in the right tonal spectrum)
"My Jesus" Anne Wilson

Set 2
"God's not dead" Newsboys
"Take it all" Hillsong united
"Everything you do" River Valley ages
"The Lion and the Lamb" Big daddy weave (Band plays the studio version but I love adding the guitar lick from the live version)
"You love Awakens me" Phil Wickham

Set 3
"How he loves" Crowder
"Reckless love" Cory Ashbury
"Gratitude" Brandon Lake
"How Great is our God" Tomlin

Everything went great! Played my Custom 24 on my Friedman Runt 20 the whole time. CU22 hardtail got used by one of the singers in the first two songs of set 2. Used the 5150 Iconic for that cabless and DI into the PA. The 5150 spits out a great overdrive tone outta the CLEAN channel for those songs. Very Fun!

I'm recovering from back to back gigs...Played a crazy rock band gig that had me in bed at 6am but jamming the PS singlecut was heaven...then got up at 9 am to haul my PA, bass rig and guitar rigs for a retreat to tackle these songs...it was so fun though, the kids in the retreat were totally stoked. In the band I'm sound guy, tech guy, and the only electric guitar for most songs except God's not dead and Take it all. One of the singers plays electric rythm in those.

Set 1
"The middle" Jimmy eat world ( yes secular song but it's a positive one and is good when kids are making an entrance)
"Old church Choir" Zack Williams (this song can be fun with power chords in the right tonal spectrum)
"My Jesus" Anne Wilson

Set 2
"The Lion and the Lamb" Big daddy weave (Band plays the studio version but I love adding the guitar lick from the live version)

Set 3
"How he loves" Crowder
"Gratitude" Brandon Lake

Everything went great! Played my Custom 24 on my Friedman Runt 20 the whole time. CU22 hardtail got used by one of the singers in the first two songs of set 2. Used the 5150 Iconic for that cabless and DI into the PA. The 5150 spits out a great overdrive tone outta the CLEAN channel for those songs. Very Fun!
Great gig!

Set 1
"My Jesus" Anne Wilson

Set 2

Set 3
"How he loves" Crowder
"Gratitude" Brandon Lake

Oh How He Loves-John Mark McMillan
This video with the song testimonial by John from 2007 and then shifting to the song in the barn is my favorite. I cannot watch
this nor play it in a service without some degree of wet eyes. Playing it with the original lyrics plus playing the droning slide and and
other guitar parts in the style of this is a gut wrenching, but much needed humbling of epic proportions and 1000 emotions...

After many years of playing guitar for various worship teams, I switched to playing bass as we were in serious need of bassists.
This morning, 11-years later, I returned to guitar with our current team. It was a little rocky at first, nerves and light gauge strings took me a a song or so to overcome-- AND I was using my Helix for the first time:

Didn't think to snap a photo 'till I was cleaning up after service; not the best photo, but it's good enough to document this happy day :D

Back on bass next week, then guitar again the week after (enter happy dance here)~

After many years of playing guitar for various worship teams, I switched to playing bass as we were in serious need of bassists.
This morning, 11-years later, I returned to guitar with our current team. It was a little rocky at first, nerves and light gauge strings took me a a song or so to overcome-- AND I was using my Helix for the first time:

Didn't think to snap a photo 'till I was cleaning up after service; not the best photo, but it's good enough to document this happy day :D

Back on bass next week, then guitar again the week after (enter happy dance here)~
Good on ya!
I started out on guitar in the early ‘70s, then switched to bass in the early 2000s. Recently trying to break back in on guitar, but the Worship Leader and my fingers are resisting. Played twice so far. Went well.

Back