Pick punch

Credit card punch picks would never work for me, I use a thick beast of a pick, soft flappy picks I just can't use.

As for the expensive picks subject (OK here's where the resident contrarian comes out), I did a comparison with Gravity picks and one other high end pick (forgot the brand) with my Dunlop 208, and the 208 played and sounded better than the expensive ones. Haven't tried Bluechip but wouldn't go out of my way for them or any other so called "premium" guitar pick, *although* the concept that picks, strings & fingers make as much of a difference in your sound (if not more) as your guitar and amp choices is SO DEAD ON!!! Too many people miss that whole concept.

I used to work for a musical instrument company decades ago (that will remain unnamed) that catered to bluegrass players, got to rub elbows with Mike Marshall & David Grisman as I ran the repair bench and warehouse. Periodically old govt. confiscated T-shell picks would float through there (on the down low) and fetch a good price, David would laugh about it saying how overrated the concept is, his words where "use what works no matter how cheap and don't buy into the hype of new products or old traditions."

PS-Dunlop 208 $15.99 per 100

I have been married to Dunlop 3.0 mm stubbies for a more than two decades and they are really cheap. I ordered some of these designer picks in a similar configuration recently. I t will be interesting to see how I wind up feeling about the overall cost/benefit if in fact there is any benefit. I'll post an update when ready.

Huggy B, I completely agree you don't have to have an expensive pick to sound good, and that a lot of people will prefer cheap picks for a lot of different reasons.

I still use fairly cheap picks (Dunlop and V-Picks which seemed expensive to me at a few dollars each when I bought them), but I'm also willing to give something like BlueChip a shot; especially if they last for years without noticeable wear as everyone I've heard from says they do.

Considering wear, they may come out cheaper than the V-Picks that are already fairly worn after a few months despite being something like 2.5mm thick (and there's already been significant wear on them for a long time).

Even Les says they're not for everyone, but they are what some people are looking for. If they keep more people from using tortoise shell picks, that alone makes me glad they exist.

I have been married to Dunlop 3.0 mm stubbies for a more than two decades and they are really cheap. I ordered some of these designer picks in a similar configuration recently. I t will be interesting to see how I wind up feeling about the overall cost/benefit if in fact there is any benefit. I'll post an update when ready.
Please do, that was just my experience, I'd like to hear your results too. For me, it was the tone that made the biggest difference.

Please do, that was just my experience, I'd like to hear your results too. For me, it was the tone that made the biggest difference.

Oh it will for me too, but feel is also a factor. I usually move on quickly from any piece of the equation that doesn't make the cut, although amps and guitars I am willing to spend more time with than strings or picks I don't like.

The pick punch is a neat tool and good for desperate times.

I just recently had a batch of picks made from InTune GP, now I always make sure to have a few picks on me.

I bought the Blue Chip originally just to see what all the fuss was about. I liked 'em better than my Dunlop Jazz III Ultexes, formerly my favorite pick for the tone.

Was there a HUGE difference? No, it's more subtle than that, and not for everyone. But it was enough of a difference that I have bought more of the Blue Chips, and I've stopped using the Dunlops unless I want that particular tone - which sometimes I do.

I still use medium and heavy Celluloid picks on occasion for what they do well - the clacking against the strings can be an extra little percussive bit in a strummed track on acoustic guitar.

But it's rare, compared to using the BCs.

The last thing I'd do is tell someone else that my taste is somehow better than theirs. Decisions like which pick to use, or which guitar and amp to play, are very personal things.

I feel the same way about pianos. Do you need a $120,000 Bosendorfer or $80,000 Steinway Grand to play a concert? No. Do they sound great? Sure. But so does a Baldwin or Yamaha. Of course, the latter will still set you back quite a bit of dough.

The way I think of a $35 pick is, "Cheap Thrills."

Last edited:

I use those stubbies for bass, because I'm not too comfortable with the whole finger picking on bass thing. I can't do it quickly, but that's why my main instrument is guitar and not bass :)

Iv'e been using Dunlop picks but today took delivery of a couple of rosewood Timber tones. been giving these a good going over & am definitely liking the deep richer tone. Wondered if anyone has tried these & have any feedback. I also have some chapman gravity picks on the way. Cheers AL.

best%20picks%20shot_zpszbnup6qj.jpg
best%20picks%20shot_zpszbnup6qj.jpg
[/URL][/img]

The original Fender 358 die size; the oem, D'Andrea, who made those exact Fenders a long time ago, and now the Clayton .80. The best mass produced, disposable pick I've found at the price, quantity and quality I can afford.
If I misplace, wear one out or blame and curse the pick and not the player and then just throw it into the trash? No big deal, if got a candy jar full of 'em.

I bought the Blue Chip originally just to see what all the fuss was about. I liked 'em better than my Dunlop Jazz III Ultexes, formerly my favorite pick for the tone.

Was there a HUGE difference? No, it's more subtle than that, and not for everyone. But it was enough of a difference that I have bought more of the Blue Chips, and I've stopped using the Dunlops unless I want that particular tone - which sometimes I do.

I still use medium and heavy Celluloid picks on occasion for what they do well - the clacking against the strings can be an extra little percussive bit in a strummed track on acoustic guitar.

But it's rare, compared to using the BCs.

The last thing I'd do is tell someone else that my taste is somehow better than theirs. Decisions like which pick to use, or which guitar and amp to play, are very personal things.

I feel the same way about pianos. Do you need a $120,000 Bosendorfer or $80,000 Steinway Grand to play a concert? No. Do they sound great? Sure. But so does a Baldwin or Yamaha. Of course, the latter will still set you back quite a bit of dough.

The way I think of a $35 pick is, "Cheap Thrills."

I have now spent some time with my stubbies, bluechip Jazz 100, and the V-Picks small pointed type. I would put the stubbies and blue chip in a similar camp for tone and feel and the V-picks in a slightly different one, The V-picks definitely have a crisper attack and more aggressive tone along with perhaps more drag when picking. To be fair, I think a rounder point V-pick model would be a better comparison, but I actually like my choice overall as it provides some variety. I must say that I am grabbing the blue chip over the stubbies as it is a very comfortable pick to grip and seems to glide over the strings with slightly less but noticeable drag. it seems to allow me to have a very relaxed right hand which I feel enhances my modest technical abilities. I hate to say it, and when I ordered it I thought it was a foolish purchase, but the 70$ pick has won me over. I do like the other picks as well, its like changing pickups or even guitars by just grabbing a different plectrum. I will definitely try a more rounded point from V-Piclks. This has been an ear and hand opening exercise.

Last edited:
I have now spent some time with my stubbies, bluechip Jazz 100, and the V-Picks small pointed type. I would put the stubbies and blue chip in a similar camp for tone and feel and the V-picks in a slightly different one, The V-picks definitely have a crisper attack and more aggressive tone along with perhaps more drag when picking. To be fair, I think a rounder point V-pick model would be a better comparison, but I actually like my choice overall as it provides some variety. I must say that I am grabbing the blue chip over the stubbies as it is a very comfortable pick to grip and seems to glide over the strings with slightly less but noticeable drag. it seems to allow me to have a very right hand which I feel enhances my modest technical abilities. I hate to say it, and when I ordered it I thought it was a foolish purchase, but the 70$ pick has won me over. I do like the other picks as well, its like changing pickups or even guitars by just grabbing a different plectrum. I will definitely try a more rounded point from V-Piclks. This has been an ear and hand opening exercise.
I'm right there with ya. I love the Bluechip. I would describe it exactly like you did.

I'm right there with ya. I love the Bluechip. I would describe it exactly like you did.

Cool, its almost a real scientific like experiment with multiple data points. The BC is grippy to the fingers but glides over the strings with a nice warm tone. no complaints, but I do have to readjust my thinking about what a pick costs. I have been carefully keeping track of the one I bought, and *surprise* I haven't lost it :)

I have now spent some time with my stubbies, bluechip Jazz 100, and the V-Picks small pointed type. I would put the stubbies and blue chip in a similar camp for tone and feel and the V-picks in a slightly different one, The V-picks definitely have a crisper attack and more aggressive tone along with perhaps more drag when picking. To be fair, I think a rounder point V-pick model would be a better comparison, but I actually like my choice overall as it provides some variety. I must say that I am grabbing the blue chip over the stubbies as it is a very comfortable pick to grip and seems to glide over the strings with slightly less but noticeable drag. it seems to allow me to have a very relaxed right hand which I feel enhances my modest technical abilities. I hate to say it, and when I ordered it I thought it was a foolish purchase, but the 70$ pick has won me over. I do like the other picks as well, its like changing pickups or even guitars by just grabbing a different plectrum. I will definitely try a more rounded point from V-Piclks. This has been an ear and hand opening exercise.

Interesting, thanks for getting back to us on this. Makes me consider giving one a try but at $70 a pop it's still something to ponder, along with why are some of those BC picks $70 and others are $35, what's the diff? is it the material?
(I went to the site but I didn't see an obvious answer.)

I wouldn't spring for them, or recommend them if they weren't at least worth considering.

I'd agree with your assessment. Mine are the $35 ones - the 35, 40 and 50 thickness, they're less expensive, but that's the thicknesses I prefer, so they work well for me.

They're more like traditional mediums and heavies.

Interesting, thanks for getting back to us on this. Makes me consider giving one a try but at $70 a pop it's still something to ponder, along with why are some of those BC picks $70 and others are $35, what's the diff? is it the material?
(I went to the site but I didn't see an obvious answer.)

The difference is the thickness. The material itself is insanely expensive, there's an explanation for that on the site and in the Downbeat review. They all use the same material.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the Dunlop Jazz III, red nylon. The only thing I've used that I liked as much as the Jazz IIIs was the Chapman Gravity pick. The Gravity picks are great but are more than I want to spend on picks considering the rate that I lose them.

I spend more than that on a good lunch that turns to poop the next day.

Glad to hear you are still "regular" ;)

I have wanted to send away for one of the Blue Chips but also cannot decide which one. I have been using the trusty yellow tortex .73mm for eons. And I tend to grip the pick with the tip just barely showing when I solo...probably a horrible habit.

Glad to hear you are still "regular" ;)

I have wanted to send away for one of the Blue Chips but also cannot decide which one. I have been using the trusty yellow tortex .73mm for eons. And I tend to grip the pick with the tip just barely showing when I solo...probably a horrible habit.
I was using that same yellow tortex pick and went with the Jazz 35 and the LG Jazz 35. The LG is closer in physical size to what you're using while the regular Jazz is reminiscent of the Dunlop Jazz III. I LOVE the Blue Chip.

Back