Petition for S2 Baritone. Can I get an AMEN?!?!?

John Beef

Opaque
The rate at which they are introducing new S2 models, I can't help but wonder what they have up their sleeves next. There were no S2s prior to June or July 2013. At that point they debuted 3 models, then 2 more before the end of the year, then 3 semi-hollow models earlier this year, and now 3 more Standard models a few weeks ago. MAYBE THEY'LL FINALLY MAKE A USA MADE BARITONE.

Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!?!?!?!

As for me, a S2 Bari would be too late since we have the most excellent Korean Made MM Baritone. It's a great guitar at a great price. And we've used it recently on our simple home made track called 'Western Union" found here on my website:

http://www.reverbnation.com/wefixflats

Thanks for listening~!

The MM is one of the best Baris on the market. I have had one for over 5 years. Our band has six or seven songs now written that require it.

However, after playing several S2s a couple weeks ago, I am 100% convinced that the S2s are the real deal, that they are in fact a large upgrade over the SEs, and that they are worth the extra money - no question.

The only reason I can think of for them to not do this would be a contract issue with MM. Much the way they discontinued the SE semi-hollow as soon as the S2 semi-hollows came out, they would probably also need to discontinue the SE baritone in order to ensure they are not cannibalizing their own market. They probably couldn't cancel the MM without MM being on board... and there are no signature S2s yet.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that the MM has been successful NOT because of the Mushok name, but because it's one of the only baris on the market at this price point that doesn't require you to be a doom metal player or spaghetti western country picker.

I think they need to either do an updated version of the MM or an S2 bari as the MM hasnt had any changes since its release. A baritone is definitley on my "to buy" list and Id probably consider an S2 over the MM (even though I'm a massive Staind fan. Alternatively they could just make a Ben Burnley hollowbody baritone signature then I would throw my money at them.

Always preferred baritone over 7-string. If I'm tuning that low, it's because I probably don't need those high notes.

I have a MM Baritone, and if PRS released an S2 or core Baritone I'd probably pick one up, especially if it had a nice carved top (even the simplified S2 bevel) and interesting colors (hey, I'm shallow!).

I'd keep the second baritone tuned to B, probably - my MM Bari is tuned to A right now, and is very useful for certain songs the band plays.

A semi-hollow baritone would be quite the experience! Hmmm...

Won't happen. The thing about what makes the S2s so cheap to produce is the uniformity between them as far as scale length, neck shape, etc. Its also why we probably won't see a 7 string S2 either. There isn't a big market for 6 string baritones overall. A lot of players are going to 7 and 8 string guitars versus downtuning a 6.

Even Mike Mushok is using 7 string baritones now. Prs should make a new sig avaliable.

Even Mike Mushok is using 7 string baritones now. Prs should make a new sig avaliable.

ONE CAN DREAM.....

prsx.jpg

I'm in for a baritone S2 model or maybe a USA Ben Burnley sig... *cough* *cough*

Seriously though, I love my MM baritone and the one I previously had before I sold it (needed the money at the time). I would trade my current one for a new model though if it caught my eye, SE or USA made.

My Mushok is fine, there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't inspire me the way my USA PRSi do. That might be true for every SE I've owned.

That said, I can't afford a Private Stock, nor would I want to for something that would never be a true #1 instrument I reach for first, every time. I would have an incredibly hard time justifying this purchase as even a core model priced near $3k. However, I could absolutely see myself shelling out S2 money. No question. It would shoot to the top of my GAS list and stay there until after the purchase was made, which I would make happen the week it was available.

I would like to try a baritone guitar sometime to see if I like it or not. But I'm not willing to fork over a ton of money to buy one online or something just to see if I like it or not. Basically, I like the idea of being able to play Drop C tuning without having the strings feel like wet spaghetti and I'm told that a baritone guitar would do that for me but I don't know for sure.

From experience I can say that Drop C on a 25.5 scale non baritone (LTD and Ibanez) with thicker strings is the fix for that. I didn't feel the need to get my first baritone, which was the SE MM when it first came out, until I started playing covers in Drop Bb. I'm glad I did though, because now I'm in a band that covers songs in Drop A and A Standard.

I would like to try a baritone guitar sometime to see if I like it or not. But I'm not willing to fork over a ton of money to buy one online or something just to see if I like it or not. Basically, I like the idea of being able to play Drop C tuning without having the strings feel like wet spaghetti and I'm told that a baritone guitar would do that for me but I don't know for sure.

From experience I can say that Drop C on a 25.5 scale non baritone (LTD and Ibanez) with thicker strings is the fix for that. I didn't feel the need to get my first baritone, which was the SE MM when it first came out, until I started playing covers in Drop Bb. I'm glad I did though, because now I'm in a band that covers songs in Drop A and A Standard.
You could also try the SE Clint Lowery, which has that 25.5" scale, and comes strung for a C#/Drop B tuning:

http://www.prsguitars.com/seclintlowery/specs.php

Never tried one myself, but might be set-up exactly for what you need.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed yet that the Mike Mushok baritone is not listed on the PRS website as a 2015 model, are they discontinuing them? perhaps to make way for another baritone?

I'm not a baritone user - not that I have anything against them - but I say the more guitars in the S2 line the better.

Well, not better for my wallet. Or my wife. I might have a problem.

http://

This is how We Fix Flats! rolls with the excellent PRS MM Baritone. Though the VK it nails the Surf/Spaghetti Western classics. And we always try to find space for it on a lot of other styles too.

Last edited:
Back