Our we addicted to guitar, or do we just like it?

I am aware that I'm out of step here. Am I addicted to gear? Yes, but I dont feel good about it.

I've played for 50 years now. Until 2015 I just had a couple of guitars. I used them correctly. I loved music and the guitars were just music making tools. That's how it remained for 45 years.

In 2015 a personal crisis left me 'disconnected'. There was a hole in my life, I started to fill it with guitars. I have learned a lot about guitars since then beyond using and maintaining them.

The trouble is that hole is bottomless, and there are not enough guitars in the world to fill it.

Music is still the important thing. The guitars are enjoyable but that's all. Some are pretty, but they are still just tools. I feel I am addicted and sick.

I am aware that I'm out of step here. Am I addicted to gear? Yes, but I dont feel good about it.

I've played for 50 years now. Until 2015 I just had a couple of guitars. I used them correctly. I loved music and the guitars were just music making tools. That's how it remained for 45 years.

In 2015 a personal crisis left me 'disconnected'. There was a hole in my life, I started to fill it with guitars. I have learned a lot about guitars since then beyond using and maintaining them.

The trouble is that hole is bottomless, and there are not enough guitars in the world to fill it.

Music is still the important thing. The guitars are enjoyable but that's all. Some are pretty, but they are still just tools. I feel I am addicted and sick.

Hey we all have a sickness here! You’re in good company.

Like you, I went for a long time just having a couple of electrics. I had little technical knowledge. I went through a steep learning curve and know hope to embark on my first guitar build from raw lumps of timber, all sourced by me.

I don’t go a day without looking at something guitar/gear related.

Like a lot on here, I began a tonal journey a few years ago. I don’t know really where it will take me, but I know I’m going to have fun whilst I search.

I’ll go to my grave remembering the first time I saw a guitar. I had snuck downstairs to see a guy named Elvis Presley on the Ed Sullivan show. I had heard he was a scandal from my grandmother. I hid in the hallway, and then I heard girls screaming. When I looked around the corner, there was this man gyrating in front of a microphone. I was 4 years old at the time, but old enough to see the magic around his neck. The next day, I found out the magic was called a guitar, and I was all in. The fascination never left, even for one minute. I started with the Wards guitar bought with paper route money when I was 10, and never looked back. Here I am, over 50 years later, and I still get a thrill every time I open the case and pick it up. I play every day, and practice as much as I can after 4 hand surgeries. Every gig Is another bigger thrill. Last night I sat in with some friends. There were only 30 people in the club, but we got 28 of them dancing and the other 2 listening. That made it another great night. I’m not addicted, I can quit any time I die.

Here's where we might be 2 of the same, but with a different background:

I think that playing guitar connects us to our childhood, because the music we grew up listening to is the music we most often prefer over music from more recent years. It defines us as generations of people who each experienced different music genres as to what formed us emotionally and spiritually.

If perhaps you don't have children of your own, there is a certain respect that goes with that, but many times we often live vicariously through our children, in hopes they may grow and learn to love what we did at their age. While most true musicians make a honorary pilgrimage back to their musical roots, in honor of the early guitarists who defined the genres, we also hope that someday our children will also take that same journey that we did when we first learned how to strum, then play lead lines.

There were many bands who defined who we were when we were teens, and equally so, our kids are carving out their own niche, their own place, where they can express their feelings via their instruments of choice.

This sickness you may feel is perhaps an anxiety or fear of the unknown. Let it be known that you need not feel this way at all, you just need to shine a light on in the darkness of what you fear, so that the unknown becomes more visible. The future is much like the unknown, and the fear is of what could happen. The answer is, speculation is a cruel trick that you mind plays on you, and it affects not only you, but many of those who fear the same thing.

What dispels anxiety and fear? 1) Good preparation. In worst case scenarios (that college final exam, for example) you need to focus and prepare for what lies ahead. And since not one of us accurately can predict the future, we need to take precautions and preventive measures, just in case. 2) Good education. Learn the facts about what disturbs you the most in life. There are many things that fear of the unknown has caused, including significant societal upheavals and unrest, simply because of fear of the unknown. The facts are what will boost your confidence levels and help you gain insight.

For example, do you feel badly at times because you are trying to save money for more important things, and fear that you might not have enough to meet your expectations? Realize that the world economy hinges on this. The economy hopes that you will feel badly, because advertisers know that if you buy something, it will satisfy your anxiety and calm you. Advertisers count on this basic tenet of human nature. In fact, many people encourage you to spend money you may not have, so that they can feel good along with you once your "new arrival" is delivered.

It's almost like we're all a bunch of expectant parents watching from time of conception to delivery date, from gestation period to arrival. As the delivery date gets closer, so does our level of excitement. That may be what drives us, the feeling of ordering and expectation, then the birthing of the new arrival, with obligatory photos and bubble gum cigars, back-slapping and congratulations.

THAT feeling may be the drug that is addictive, because unlike childless parents who have not experienced childbirth, we may feel like there is no future for us to live through. No children who we raise and watch grow, teach basic fundamentals to, or watch them become parents themselves.

Without that hope of connecting to our past, our childhood, we may all just be substituting guitars for a family of our own. Instead, we have this forum filled with expectant fathers and mothers who give birth to new life in ways that is like the ring of the doorbell, with your new arrival waiting to meet its siblings in its new home.

Last edited:
Thanks brother, he still gets a royalty cheque from EMI every year.

I had the joy of setting my Dad up with a small amp that he could play his electro-acoustic through (due to chronic hearing loss) so that he and I could play music together!
Good on ya Reub your a good man.

I've always had some kind of hobby along the lines of playing guitar that gets me out of my head and puts me squarely and completely in the moment. Cycling played that role for me for about 20 years - I rode a LOT. Photography has also come around twice, once when I was a kid and young adult in the darkroom days, and again for almost 10 years recently. Playing guitar did it for about 10 years when I was young man, took a very long break for, uhh, life, and came back around about 3 years ago. I was constantly involved in various sports as a kid and that served the same purpose, and spent a couple years ski-bumming which was more fun that you should ever be able to have with your clothes on, and it served that role too. I guess for a short while in my youth, drugs might have done some of the same thing.

But the crazier the world around me gets, the more I need that place to go where I not only don't HAVE TO think about it - I really can't. Where what I'm doing is all-consuming enough that I can't multi-task my way through it. I'm doing it or I'm not, but when I am, it's ALL I'm doing. Playing guitar takes me there these days. I started again in January of 2017 - hmmmm...

-Ray

I think people like to listen to music.
Then they wonder what it's like to play it.
They find out that even though they aren't great at it, they still enjoy what they are playing.
Is this why we play? We never master it, but we still enjoy listening to the music.

First, my answer to the thread title question. Neither. I’m not addicted, but there is more there than “like.” I love it.

The answer to the post above is a different story. I was raised in a family of musicians and singers. My dad had several albums out by the time he was 21, but when he got married he refused to tour or he would have continued a professional career in music. My mother was a concert level pianist. We had company all the time growing up, and they would sing and play for hours. We had a grand piano in our living room from the time I was old enough to remember and we moved the last one out after my mother passed.

It was always “expected” that I’d play music (and my brother and sister) and that we’d be good at it. But, the love of it was ingrained. I also never wanted it to be just “fun” or “cool.” I loved it and wanted to be great at it.

There’s a lot more than that, but nobody has time for all that :)

I have both albums on vinyl. Like I said there is a lot more to the story of my musical journey but most of it has been said in bits and pieces before here, and I hate it just keep repeating it and bore you guys to death

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both albums on vinyl. Like I said there is a lot more to the story of my musical journey but most of it has been said in bits and pieces before here, and I hate it just keep repeating it and bore you guys to death

well if repeating myself was a crime i would sure be on probation. didn’t want to embarrass you dt, just interested.

Back