Our we addicted to guitar, or do we just like it?

I wonder if anyone wakes up one morning and thinks, “I’ve mastered music.” There are too many possibilities, life is too short, and our physical skills wane with age.

Some pretty impressive research has been done demonstrating that virtuosity requires an early start, even for people with talent. The neural connections that virtuosos need between hands and brain seem to have to be made before the onset of puberty, for most players. There are exceptions, of course, but most virtuosos start very young, and by young, I mean around the age of 4 or 5.

And they spend every waking hour learning and practicing for many years before they become masters, folks like Mozart excepted.

But even masters can’t do everything. Case in point that really opened my eyes:

I had my first opportunity to work with an ensemble of a well known symphony orchestra for an advertising campaign. Each player was truly a master of their instrument, or they wouldn’t have gotten the gig.

I figured that this would work like a pop session. What did I know? I was not a master of producing orchestral music, I was a beginner at it. But I was the composer, so I figured I’d already done the hard part.

Well, no.

I printed out charts for all of the players, in the right clefs (another thing I had to learn about for this gig), and recorded each of their parts on synth, figuring that between hearing the music, and reading the charts, they’d nail it in one or two takes.

After all, my pop/rock session players only need to hear a track once or twice, and have at most a chord chart. Most of the time rock session players on an ad don’t even need that.

I booked an impressive studio, the players came in, we set up, and started to roll tape. The players sat there with puzzled expressions. “What’s wrong,” I asked on the talkback mic?”

“We need a conductor.”

“There’s only 30 seconds of music, and everything’s written out, and you’ve heard the piece.”

“We still need a conductor.”

The clients were in the control room. I was freaked out, and more than a little embarrassed, because I was utterly unprepared for this. I felt like I had sh!t the bed. Actually, I had sh!t the bed, and almost soiled my pants when I realized the fix I was in.

I walked into the recording stage, and said, “I can’t conduct, I know nothing about it. If I move my finger to the beat, and point to you when your part comes in, can you wing it?”

Basically, I was begging, and sounded like it! They must have felt sorry for me, and said yes.

So I stood there like the unskilled, unschooled moron that I am, and conducted these world class players for thirty seconds. And yes, they got it in two takes.

My “aha moment” was realizing that these orchestral masters hadn’t mastered doing a session the way pop sessions are done. It’s a different skill from what they were trained for and had mastered. They spent their lives doing, and mastering, a different thing.

In other words, no one masters music. There are too many possibilities. Maybe they master a tiny slice of the pie.

The problem is that it takes a lifetime of dedication and work to do even that, and most folks can’t/won’t give up that much time, even as kids.

Last edited:
One might counter with the fact that we like to laugh, listen to music, and enjoy good food. This is all just opinion, but people get hooked on what other's opinions are, taking them for fact, when what people say may just be subjective, or personal experience.

That being said, my feeling is that anything we do can be considered a preference, a hobby, a choice, or a career, unless this consumes the individual by making the individual a "slave to its power."

There are certain things in life that are addictive that bring about peoples' downfalls in life, that can cause loss of quality of life, and sometimes death, if the addicted one does not conquer his addiction.

I personally think that the song that sums things up regards addiction is Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done." Smart musicians are aware of this and typically play "Harvest Moon" to subtly remind others about addiction without interjecting their "opinion" in such a way that might prove harmful to others, nor hooking others on detrimental things.

My gut tells me you can gain and lose things in life, but being hooked on anything detrimental is not the way one should think about life. Playing guitar, unless it is an all-consuming thing which doesn't allow for a regular life, is not an addiction.

An interesting question, with many answers. I might be addicted. I don’t have to play, but there are times I feel compelled to play.

For me it was never about playing some song I heard. It was more about setting something inside of me free. I first encountered a guitar at 5. It belonged to a neighbour, but he let me play it an it was more fun than play grounds, trains, or toys. The time it took to get my own proper guitar was my first exercise in real patience. Maybe it helped me control the addiction before it really took hold.

@LSchefman , I probably already know the answer but is there any video recording of you pretending to be a conductor? :D:D

Thankfully, no. When I say I was a complete moron, you’ll just have to trust me. :)

I’m guessing video of the ad exists somewhere. It was an ad for Budweiser for an Olympics campaign in the 1990s. I’ll bet the musicians are still chuckling over how badly I’d prepared for it, and wondering how the hell I ever got the gig.

Last edited:
An interesting question, with many answers. I might be addicted. I don’t have to play, but there are times I feel compelled to play.

For me it was never about playing some song I heard. It was more about setting something inside of me free. I first encountered a guitar at 5. It belonged to a neighbour, but he let me play it an it was more fun than play grounds, trains, or toys. The time it took to get my own proper guitar was my first exercise in real patience. Maybe it helped me control the addiction before it really took hold.

It's likely that this was your personal experience at a younger age provided you with inspiration and a way to make money (if you went on to do so later in life). Most people make a conscious choice to be practicing guitarists, but not necessarily ones who earn a living from guitar. That in itself is the "lure" that hooks people on the guitarist lifestyle...the classic image of sex, drugs, rock 'n roll lifestyle...not everyone can handle this, which is the addictive part...just practicing and playing guitar for personal enjoyment or the occasional gig isn't an addiction...

Thankfully, no. When I say I was a complete moron, you’ll just have to trust me.

I’m guessing video of the ad exists somewhere. It was an ad for Budweiser for an Olympics campaign in the 1990s.

Les,

I think that your self-deprecating commentary is common for many who claim to be morons, but in fact, are only referring to their own childlike mindset or playfulness. Some folks make a good living through their childlike eyeglasses. The problem is that not everyone buys what their opinion is.

Les,

I think that your self-deprecating commentary is common for many who claim to be morons, but in fact, are only referring to their own childlike mindset or playfulness. Some folks make a good living through their childlike eyeglasses. The problem is that not everyone buys what their opinion is.

Oh, I wasn’t being playful or childlike. Compared to a real conductor, I was genuinely a moron that day.

Oh, I wasn’t being playful or childlike. Compared to a real conductor, I was genuinely a moron that day.

This begs the question, how did you teach yourself to do the job you were assigned to, in such a short period of time? A spontaneous 30-second on-the-job training, (of finger wagging...?) perhaps?

And the obvious part of this discussion is, did you have fun doing this? (This is the important thing. Kidding aside, it likely takes years of training to do a job correctly, which Les described as orchestral conductors who've previously mastered their skills)

Last edited:
This begs the question, how did you teach yourself to do the job you were assigned to, in such a short period of time? A spontaneous 30-second on-the-job training, (of finger wagging...?) perhaps?
You don’t teach yourself in situations like that. You wing it and hope for the best.

@LSchefman I find this experience very interesting, and had a bit of a chuckle thinking “of course, how would they even know when to start?”. But I definitely would not have thought of that before the fact. Good on you for making it work.

You don’t teach yourself in situations like that. You wing it and hope for the best.

@LSchefman I find this experience very interesting, and had a bit of a chuckle thinking “of course, how would they even know when to start?”. But I definitely would not have thought of that before the fact. Good on you for making it work.

You may be correct. 30 seconds of conducting an orchestral piece may not be inclusively difficult, given its only 30 seconds. Perhaps Les went with his gut and got it to work for him.

Thankfully, no. When I say I was a complete moron, you’ll just have to trust me.
I agree with your earlier statement. No one completely masters anything. You can get more moronic! Put your heart into it, man! :D

I’ll throw one more opinion in the bucket. Joking aside, I fully agree that learning never need stop, and experience/vocabulary can take over when manual dexterity is fading. I hear music in my head when no music is audibly playing, so in my case at least, and I’m betting many of yours, developing musical statements doesn’t even require an instrument or voice. But an addiction?

Most people and institutions begin defining addiction using words like “uncontrollable” or something in that vein (pun intended). I don’t see music that way. I suppose it can be, and I’ve seen men neglect responsibilities to a damaging level while chasing musical aspirations. That’s selfishness and a lack of character, though. Certainly not beyond control.

I have music in a good place in my life. It enhances and adds to our existence, without taking or costing more than planned for it. It could get out of its place, but it doesn’t. So, to the OP, this part of “we” just loves it.

wait harvest moon is about drugs?

No. A musicologist recognizes that 'Harvest Moon' and 'Needle and the Damage Done' are in close juxtaposition in your music library. Harvest almost by default refers to Needle, without actually playing Needle.

A local band plays Harvest Moon quite well; it's a love song that inspires one to live and love...Needle is more a song about desperation and addiction....both songs are a part of life as we know it these days, just that one teaches about love, the other about recovering (or not) from drug addiction...

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone wakes up one morning and thinks, “I’ve mastered music.” There are too many possibilities, life is too short, and our physical skills wane with age.

Some pretty impressive research has been done demonstrating that virtuosity requires an early start, even for people with talent. The neural connections that virtuosos need between hands and brain seem to have to be made before the onset of puberty, for most players. There are exceptions, of course, but most virtuosos start very young, and by young, I mean around the age of 4 or 5.

And they spend every waking hour learning and practicing for many years before they become masters, folks like Mozart excepted.

But even masters can’t do everything. Case in point that really opened my eyes:

I had my first opportunity to work with an ensemble of a well known symphony orchestra for an advertising campaign. Each player was truly a master of their instrument, or they wouldn’t have gotten the gig.

I figured that this would work like a pop session. What did I know? I was not a master of producing orchestral music, I was a beginner at it. But I was the composer, so I figured I’d already done the hard part.

Well, no.

I printed out charts for all of the players, in the right clefs (another thing I had to learn about for this gig), and recorded each of their parts on synth, figuring that between hearing the music, and reading the charts, they’d nail it in one or two takes.

After all, my pop/rock session players only need to hear a track once or twice, and have at most a chord chart. Most of the time rock session players on an ad don’t even need that.

I booked an impressive studio, the players came in, we set up, and started to roll tape. The players sat there with puzzled expressions. “What’s wrong,” I asked on the talkback mic?”

“We need a conductor.”

“There’s only 30 seconds of music, and everything’s written out, and you’ve heard the piece.”

“We still need a conductor.”

The clients were in the control room. I was freaked out, and more than a little embarrassed, because I was utterly unprepared for this. I felt like I had sh!t the bed. Actually, I had sh!t the bed, and almost soiled my pants when I realized the fix I was in.

I walked into the recording stage, and said, “I can’t conduct, I know nothing about it. If I move my finger to the beat, and point to you when your part comes in, can you wing it?”

Basically, I was begging, and sounded like it! They must have felt sorry for me, and said yes.

So I stood there like the unskilled, unschooled moron that I am, and conducted these world class players for thirty seconds. And yes, they got it in two takes.

My “aha moment” was realizing that these orchestral masters hadn’t mastered doing a session the way pop sessions are done. It’s a different skill from what they were trained for and had mastered. They spent their lives doing, and mastering, a different thing.

In other words, no one masters music. There are too many possibilities. Maybe they master a tiny slice of the pie.

The problem is that it takes a lifetime of dedication and work to do even that, and most folks can’t/won’t give up that much time, even as kids.
Wow, nice save!

I had no idea that classical musicians don't think they can play without a conductor. Maybe it's like a drummer in a rock band? Maybe they could have played to a click? I guess that would have required a ton of headphones.

I mean ... a string quartet doesn't have a conductor. Is there some critical mass of them at which point they consider them selves an orchestra? Seems like an interesting mental block.

Wow, nice save!

I had no idea that classical musicians don't think they can play without a conductor. Maybe it's like a drummer in a rock band? Maybe they could have played to a click? I guess that would have required a ton of headphones.

I mean ... a string quartet doesn't have a conductor. Is there some critical mass of them at which point they consider them selves an orchestra? Seems like an interesting mental block.

if you can get one of them playing ‘louie louie’ the rest will usually fall in.

Last edited:
For the uninitiated, calamity often follows those who are inexperienced closely. The issue is that parents should caution their children about internet and phone use. Lack of experience often causes unnecessary injury, just like those who say or do dumb things without caring about themselves or the next person. Remember, we're all imperfect and can suffer injury as easily as the next person. Don't be the person who causes yours, or someone else's injury.

My only worry in life is for my friends and family. The guy who is only having a little fun at others' expense is not caring about what happens to himself or others. That person has failed to foresee the calamity that awaits him.

Back on track: Addiction to guitars is only as real as how much time you spend practicing, or researching your next purchase, or trying to improve on what you don't already have. To many, the tone quest is just that. And the itch we all feel is each of us trying to satisfy that urge we have. We may not win anything other than the satisfaction of spending good money on gear we what we wish to own, but again, it's our own eyes that are drawn in when we see or read about something that sparks our interest.

Back