Note for note or in the style of?

It definitely makes sense to stick as close to the original as possible in a tribute show. Well, unless it's a Dead or Phish tribute, and if it's that you better nail the tone and style if you're going to keep most of the fans happy.
Check out Roger Waters In the Flesh tour with Doyle and Snowy sharing guitar duties. I would go so far as to say they are more of a tribute act than any other, and yet Waters gave those two freedom with their solos and imho it sounds better than the Floyd originals but it’s in the same style. Which is what I aimed for live. Oh and Doyle’s tone on Dogs with the delay and chorus is one of the all time best, and I say that being a guy that doesn’t like effects normally.

I spent years playing big band and theatre music, which (as we all know) has to be note for note.I also did a jazz duo, and jazz small band with more freedom. These days, I'm lucky enough to play with a first rate blues artist. He makes everything his own. I lock into the amazing bass player and drummer, and we groove till the cows come home. Both the bass player and the drummer have Jazz backgrounds, so we can hit ideas in 4 beats after one of us states them. And we grin like idiots all the time when playing.

I spent years playing big band and theatre music, which (as we all know) has to be note for note.I also did a jazz duo, and jazz small band with more freedom. These days, I'm lucky enough to play with a first rate blues artist. He makes everything his own. I lock into the amazing bass player and drummer, and we groove till the cows come home. Both the bass player and the drummer have Jazz backgrounds, so we can hit ideas in 4 beats after one of us states them. And we grin like idiots all the time when playing.
That sounds awesome! Good for you, bud.

Here's a thought: if it's VH (specifically Eddie) you want to tackle, or SRV (and there are sooo many others)...it probably should be note for note. At least as close as humanly possible for those that care to attempt it. I know I sure as H.E. double hockey sticks ain't anywhere near there. I am the fledgling master of the improv, jack of all trades, master of none LOL.

I have an on the fence take on this.

I feel like, when LEARNING a particular piece of music (in any style) it should be learned as close to note for note as possible. Then, once it is just about right, you can start to diverge from the original and [I really hate this term as I get it all the time in my profession] "PUT YOUR SPIN ON IT".

I say that because, my real life profession is also based on artistic creativity. And what I find in what I do, is that many people simply can't pull off certain things based on lack of a fundamental skill set. So, what they do, is take a piece, butcher it, and then say "but that is done in my 'STYLE' " :mad:. When I take on apprentice, I always try to make sure they can actually DO a certain thing before they "spin" if for themselves. What that does for them, no matter what sort of personal style they have, is to ensure the they have the technical skill set to pull off most things....even if, in the end there is a slant in their own direction. In other words, you have to know and understand a rule BEFORE you start bending or breaking it.

As a fan of creative things, I whole heartedly enjoy the ease that a pure technician has when manipulating whatever skill it is that they have MASTERED. And as a fan, I can often tell what level of skill are required to pull off a certain thing (even if I couldn't pull it off myself). BUT, also as a fan, I really love it when someone can take that obvious mastery of said group of skill, and then have what ever is in them flow through their tool of choice. My skill set tattooing puts me in a position to do that kind of thing. Unfortunately, at least not yet, my skill set playing music doesn't.

So, in my opinion, you should be technically proficient enough to play something note for note....and THEN decide when to CHOOSE to go your own direction with it.

Sorry for the long ramble.

I have been playing in cover bands for over 50 years. Once or twice the band was a “tribute” band where a note for note rendition of the original music was required. I found those bands extremely boring and very little fun. The remainder of the bands were “make it your own” bands where we wrote arrangements that honored the spirit and essence of the original songs but added original content that made the songs “ours”. In reality, few headliner bands play their songs the same way over and over again, year after year.

Make it your own, but every once in a while ... The bass player in the first band I was in took up lead and became a great lead player. He mostly made lead parts his own, but one night I heard him nail BOC's "Reaper" note for note. Talked with him later in the night and he said that Buck's part was so good and perfect as is, he just couldn't do anything else to it.

Back