NGD: Starla in Vintage Orange

enigma

In search of a Gretsch tone I decided on a PRS Starla. And, opted for the older, USA model instead of the S2. This is a 2010 Starla in Vintage Orange with a W/F neck! This guitar, especially, loves Vox AC30!

With its sibling: 2009 Mira with the Standard neck

Last edited:
Always wondered why the old Mira had 24 frets and the new S2 Mira has only 22.

Me too. However, I'm glad the older Mira has 24 frets as it has replaced my CU24 with a more "musical" pickups that produce excellent harmonics and overtones.

That looks great! Have you ever had the chance to play an S2 Starla before? I was curious what the differences were sound and playing wise, if there are any.

Great choice on the Starla, enigma. What a gorgeous guitar!

@GS1, I've played the S2 Starlas, and they are absolutely great - easily my favourite of the S2s, but I think that's partly because the model is my favourite PRS of all time anyway. :)
However, the S2s don't have the "Gretsch" vibe (tonally) that the Core Starlas had - I think this is mainly because of the pickups, but the scale length probably plays a part too in the tonal difference. The fit and finish was excellent on the one I tried though.

They certainly have an "indie" thing going though that works, and even though they sound different it's not a downgrade in tone, just a side-step really - a different brush, depending on what you need to accomplish.

That looks great! Have you ever had the chance to play an S2 Starla before? I was curious what the differences were sound and playing wise, if there are any.

I played two S2 extensively and was generally impressed with them though I found one to sound better than the other one. IMO, the rosewood on the fretboard and the inlays were of better quality on the older ones. Otherwise, I would have bought an S2 had I not come across this one. If I were to choose, I'd get the older one.

A Bigsby equipped Starla is one of my favorite guitars, period, and yours is a beauty. Love them in that color. A classic!

NICE! Congratulations! I also have an earlier model Starla with a Bigsby, and I love the way it brings the jangly tone. It gets downright nasty when it wants to as well.

NICE! Congratulations! I also have an earlier model Starla with a Bigsby, and I love the way it brings the jangly tone. It gets downright nasty when it wants to as well.

Our band is playing a song that is mainly played with several acoustic guitars and the Starla jangly tone is working very nicely!

Back