NGD: 513 Seafoam

This just arrived! I'm a sucker for seafoam, the price seemed pretty good, so I thought I'd take a shot and try it out. I've never owned a 513 before and it might be a good fit for my current gig (variety bar band). It's from early in 2011 but has no real signs of wear. It's got the 2010 specs: Swamp Ash body and 513 neck carve.

My initial impressions:
- It's a little heavier than I usually like, which I understand is typical for the Swamp Ash version.
- The pickups are... different. They seem to be more mid-focused and are nothing like the Narrowfields, 57/08s and 59/09s I'm most familiar with. The humbuckers, especially the heavy config, do remind me a bit of the Dragon I's, in that they have a full almost piano-like sound. I'll probably need to adjust the settings of my "amps" (in the Fractal FM9) to compensate.
- Seafoam!
- I love switching to the heavy humbucker sound for leads. It's like having a fat switch on the guitar. Very nice! That setting is also a good fit for higher gain.
- The 513 neck carve is somewhere between the Regular and Wide/Fat. Regular is my favorite. W/F tends to be a little big for me. The 513 is fat but feels a little narrower and doesn't have the large shoulders that make the W/F less comfortable for me. It fits me well.
- I'd say the single coil sounds are more authentic single-coil than rolling down the volume on my NF3s, but they don't have the "character" that the NFs have.

I'm going to gig it before I decide whether it's a keeper or not. It is a very cool guitar and I can understand why some people are big fans of it. It seems the 513 is a love it or hate it guitar. For me, it's still TBD. I think I need to take it as it is and not compare it to other guitars.

I'm curious to hear of everyone else's initial impressions when they first tried a 513.

uIu21XU.jpg
That’s hot!

Thanks everyone. It really is a looker. I've spent a good deal more time with it. The single coil and heavy humbucker sounds I like and produce sounds I can't exactly get from my other gigging guitars. The clear humbucker sound doesn't quite do it for me, though. Rolling down the volume of the heavy humbucker gets me close. The 513 neck carve is OK for me and better than a wide/fat (pattern), but I definitely prefer regular and sometimes wide/thin.

If this were my only guitar I'd be super happy with it. But owning several others and having owned a couple dozen more I am finally learning what models and specs I really like. I think I've gotten to the point where I've found what works best for me (NF3 & CE24) and am less inclined to settle when I can get exactly what I like.

All that said, this 513 has made me curious to try the 509. I know the 509 is an evolution of the 513, but it also may be the closest thing to an NF3 that PRS currently makes: pattern regular neck, 25.25" scale, same neck joint, 3 pickups that produce both single coil and humbucking sounds, including some Strat-like sounds in positions 2 & 4. 509s rarely show up at a decent price, so I may be waiting a while to try one unless I find one in a store. This video isn't making waiting easy, especially when he starts playing with gain at around 10:45.

Me too! I dig the baskets too.

Check 'em out at IKEA here.

Well if you are going to move that guitar :) I would like a shot at it , love my 513.
in fact I think I will go play it now.
I also love the heavy humbucker tone then going directly to single coil on the bridge :)

Thanks everyone. It really is a looker. I've spent a good deal more time with it. The single coil and heavy humbucker sounds I like and produce sounds I can't exactly get from my other gigging guitars. The clear humbucker sound doesn't quite do it for me, though. Rolling down the volume of the heavy humbucker gets me close. The 513 neck carve is OK for me and better than a wide/fat (pattern), but I definitely prefer regular and sometimes wide/thin.

If this were my only guitar I'd be super happy with it. But owning several others and having owned a couple dozen more I am finally learning what models and specs I really like. I think I've gotten to the point where I've found what works best for me (NF3 & CE24) and am less inclined to settle when I can get exactly what I like.

All that said, this 513 has made me curious to try the 509. I know the 509 is an evolution of the 513, but it also may be the closest thing to an NF3 that PRS currently makes: pattern regular neck, 25.25" scale, same neck joint, 3 pickups that produce both single coil and humbucking sounds, including some Strat-like sounds in positions 2 & 4. 509s rarely show up at a decent price, so I may be waiting a while to try one unless I find one in a store. This video isn't making waiting easy, especially when he starts playing with gain at around 10:45.

At 10:45 he went a bit Texas Flood

I'd say that I thought my 513 was more versatile than my 509. I don't recall the "single coil" tones being that different between the two.

Well, bad news and good news. Though I really liked a few aspects of this guitar I am going to sell it (@Rider1260 ?). The good news is I found a maple top 513 with the regular neck carve and lighter weight. And from what I've read, the clear humbucking sound is different than the swamp ash version. The new one doesn't have the looks of this seafoam, but it should have a personality that suits me better :). Hope to have an update later this weekend...

The "new" 513 arrived this afternoon, I played it for about 45 minutes and then packed it for my gig. I ended up playing for the second half of the night and it's a winner. Under 7.5 lbs, played and sounded really nice. I used the clear humbucking sound most of the night, but several songs required the single-coils. And the heavy humbucker was great for a couple of leads. Having all those options is going to be addicting, I can tell.

Forgot to post - here's the 513 that replaced my seafoam in the OP (photo not mine):

eez0gbbmyquyxgm4kxpc.jpg
Did you buy that from the reverb listing in Summerville, SC? I was eye balling that one heavily! Hehehe

Reactions: TFC
Back