NGD: 513 Seafoam

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
This just arrived! I'm a sucker for seafoam, the price seemed pretty good, so I thought I'd take a shot and try it out. I've never owned a 513 before and it might be a good fit for my current gig (variety bar band). It's from early in 2011 but has no real signs of wear. It's got the 2010 specs: Swamp Ash body and 513 neck carve.

My initial impressions:
- It's a little heavier than I usually like, which I understand is typical for the Swamp Ash version.
- The pickups are... different. They seem to be more mid-focused and are nothing like the Narrowfields, 57/08s and 59/09s I'm most familiar with. The humbuckers, especially the heavy config, do remind me a bit of the Dragon I's, in that they have a full almost piano-like sound. I'll probably need to adjust the settings of my "amps" (in the Fractal FM9) to compensate.
- Seafoam!
- I love switching to the heavy humbucker sound for leads. It's like having a fat switch on the guitar. Very nice! That setting is also a good fit for higher gain.
- The 513 neck carve is somewhere between the Regular and Wide/Fat. Regular is my favorite. W/F tends to be a little big for me. The 513 is fat but feels a little narrower and doesn't have the large shoulders that make the W/F less comfortable for me. It fits me well.
- I'd say the single coil sounds are more authentic single-coil than rolling down the volume on my NF3s, but they don't have the "character" that the NFs have.

I'm going to gig it before I decide whether it's a keeper or not. It is a very cool guitar and I can understand why some people are big fans of it. It seems the 513 is a love it or hate it guitar. For me, it's still TBD. I think I need to take it as it is and not compare it to other guitars.

I'm curious to hear of everyone else's initial impressions when they first tried a 513.

uIu21XU.jpg

This just arrived! I'm a sucker for seafoam, the price seemed pretty good, so I thought I'd take a shot and try it out. I've never owned a 513 before and it might be a good fit for my current gig (variety bar band). It's from early in 2011 but has no real signs of wear. It's got the 2010 specs: Swamp Ash body and 513 neck carve.

My initial impressions:
- It's a little heavier than I usually like, which I understand is typical for the Swamp Ash version.
- The pickups are... different. They seem to be more mid-focused and are nothing like the Narrowfields, 57/08s and 59/09s I'm most familiar with. The humbuckers, especially the heavy config, do remind me a bit of the Dragon I's, in that they have a full almost piano-like sound. I'll probably need to adjust the settings of my "amps" (in the Fractal FM9) to compensate.
- Seafoam!
- I love switching to the heavy humbucker sound for leads. It's like having a fat switch on the guitar. Very nice! That setting is also a good fit for higher gain.
- The 513 neck carve is somewhere between the Regular and Wide/Fat. Regular is my favorite. W/F tends to be a little big for me. The 513 is fat but feels a little narrower and doesn't have the large shoulders that make the W/F less comfortable for me. It fits me well.
- I'd say the single coil sounds are more authentic single-coil than rolling down the volume on my NF3s, but they don't have the "character" that the NFs have.

I'm going to gig it before I decide whether it's a keeper or not. It is a very cool guitar and I can understand why some people are big fans of it. It seems the 513 is a love it or hate it guitar. For me, it's still TBD. I think I need to take it as it is and not compare it to other guitars.

I'm curious to hear of everyone else's initial impressions when they first tried a 513.

uIu21XU.jpg
I’m a sucker for Seafoam. Just love it. I loved the sounds of the 513 I had, and it was a player’s version. Considerable wear. Ultimately, I didn’t like the neck, and moved it along. Not sure if that was the rig decision.

I love the guitar, it's beautiful, and I think they sound the business.

Everyone's different, but for me the point of having more than one guitar is for each to have different voices on tap. The 513 certainly satisfies that criterion.

Cool guitar - congrats on it!

P.S. I like the ceramics display on the shelves, too. ;)

My initial impressions:
- Seafoam!

uIu21XU.jpg
Sweet! Love a 513! I'm probably going to add one back into the fold eventually!

Thanks everyone. I am really digging the 3-way switch. It basically does what I do with my NF3s when I roll down the volume. The heavy humbucker sound is one I can't get with the NF3, though, and I'm really liking it.

513 birds still kick ass.

Yeah, I'm liking them.

P.S. I like the ceramics display on the shelves, too. ;)

I'll let my wife know. I should have included the orchids on the next shelf up for the full effect. She enables my PRS hobby and I welcome her new plants as they come in. It's a good system ;).

Beautiful guitar!
I've been a fan of the 513 for too many years to remember my initial impressions (a 513 was my first core PRS and it blew anything else I'd had away). My conclusion regarding the 513 is that players who need a lot of variety in one guitar will like it, but that players who like the 513's unique voice expressed in all of its variety will love it.

Back