SE245 rocking Wolfetones thanks to PRS braintrust

Prina

Avoiding imperial entanglements
One of the best things about this forum is that after a while you learn who's really knowledgable about certain areas. That's in addition to other widely held views about topics such as "SE guitars can (or almost always) have massive improvements in tone with great pickups."

For this 2011 SE245, I was never really happy with the stock G&B pickups, neither were very clear and the bridge never got fully clean. But after seeing lots of opinions, I was especially influenced by @Lewguitar and @SinSir who both have recommended Wolfetone Marshallheads with Alnico 2 magnets for the bridge. So when Wolfe had a sale a few months ago I got a Marshallhead A2 bridge/ Dr Vintage neck set. I finally put them on yesterday. I wasn't going to split them so opted for the braided shield cables and was surprised by how easy it was to solder the shield to the pot covers.

The Dr Vintage neck is a marked improvement over the stock G&B but isn't quite up to the tone of the 57/08 neck pup on the Stripped '58, but that's comparing it to a Core with one of the best pups that PRS makes. The Marshallhead A2, however is better than the 57/08 bridge and interestingly they have almost identical DCR readings at 8.9k. Running it through dozens of Marshall hard rock type amps on the Fractal FM9 gives uniformly tasty & nasty crunch. The only minor thing that I liked better on the old G&Bs were that the bridge had F spacing which isn't available on Wolfetones, but it's close enough for awesome tone.

So even though this forum encourages one to get more gear, if one listens and chooses wisely it can be amazing kit.

And the obligatory pic, even though it looks barely different than before. And in case anyone notices, the low string is significantly bigger because it lives in drop D.
BPD38462f.jpg

Just put Duncan Seth Lovers in my SE245 older Korean version. I think we chase pickups more than guitar wood combos why because we (guitar players) like the sound of “insert your fav pickup here”. As I’ve gotten older I think/feel it’s the pickup that voices the electric guitar as well as it’s the wood that flavors an acoustic. My 02 cents. Nice 245 by the way.

Just put Duncan Seth Lovers in my SE245 older Korean version.
Bet that Seth Lover set was also a big upgrade. The Korean SE245 is a fantastic value even before the upgrade.

SD makes some great pups. I have a Pearly Gates bridge in an old '85 MIJ Squier ST-331 Gibson scale superstrat that sounds amazing in that guitar.

Outstanding! The MH/DrV combo is his best to my ears. Reminds me somewhat of a combo 5909/5708 PRS equivalent.

I'd agree, with your assessment. The 5708 is slightly better than the DrV, but the MH is on par or slightly better than the 5708. It falls more in between a 5909 and 5708 to my ears. Wolfetones love a Marshall, deserving of the Marshallhead name.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I appreciate it!

I'd agree, with your assessment. The 5708 is slightly better than the DrV, but the MH is on par or slightly better than the 5708. It falls more in between a 5909 and 5708 to my ears. Wolfetones love a Marshall, deserving of the Marshallhead name.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I appreciate it!
You're welcome!

On Wolfetone's website, one of the Marshallhead reviews noted that Wolfe recommended a MKII neck pairing (7.8k & degaussed Alnico 5) for a CS LP Custom. This summer I gave my brother a Korean SE245 with stock pups and if he ever wants to upgrade I may ask Wolfe about the Dr V vs. the MKII & Marshallhead A2 (8.2k like the '11 57/08) neck pups.

Last edited:
You're welcome!

On Wolfetone's website, one of the Marshallhead reviews noted that Wolfe recommended a MKII neck pairing (7.8k & degaussed Alnico 5) for a CS LP Custom. This summer I gave my brother a Korean SE245 with stock pups and if he ever wants to upgrade I may ask Wolfe about the Dr V vs. the MKII & Marshallhead A2 (8.2k like the '11 57/08) neck pups.
Interesting.. The most popular combo in the LP world is MH/DrV or all DrV, with some mentions of the Legends, if I remember right. That's how I originally heard about Wolfe. I used to be a Big LP guy, still have lots of love for the grunt of a singlecut and one Gibson remains, but PRS has won me over. I didn't think that would happen on a SC, until my beloved Stripper 58.

I like his Kauer wind a lot too. It's not listed on his site. It's a special wind for Doug Kauer Guitars. It's a Legends based bridge thats a little hotter, but not as raunchy as the MH.

Awesome gift! That's a good brother! I'm a guitar gift giver too. Nothing better than to share the gift of music.

I have a Marshallhead mk2 set in my CU22. They are very clear. Bridge might be a little too bright, neck is very nice.

I think they do suit my music scene very well (P&W).

Compared to the 57-08 set in my CU24 they are brighter, more direct. They 57-08 are somehow a little saggy feeling compared to the WTs. Softer, however higher output.

They do seem really well liked on this forum indeed. And rightly so, 2 out of 4 of my PRSi have them. CU22 with Marshallheads and a Korina McSoapy with a set of mean/underwound mean (latter with an alnico V) Lovely.

Interesting.. The most popular combo in the LP world is MH/DrV or all DrV, with some mentions of the Legends, if I remember right. That's how I originally heard about Wolfe. I used to be a Big LP guy, still have lots of love for the grunt of a singlecut and one Gibson remains, but PRS has won me over. I didn't think that would happen on a SC, until my beloved Stripper 58.

Awesome gift! That's a good brother! I'm a guitar gift giver too. Nothing better than to share the gift of music.
Same here. 1 LP. Got a svelte 10.0 lb '74 Dlx when it was just a couple of years old. Now have as many SC PRSi as all the other guitars combined.

The main reason for gifting a brother the SE245 was that he hadn't been playing for years and also has a WAY underused ES-335. His SE245, on the right below (with covers on the G&Bs), is just too nice & pretty not to pick up and now he's playing his two tobacco sunbursts almost daily. Hard not to send him a set of better pickups too but I'll let him make that call.
BPD38398.jpg

Last edited:
Same here. 1 LP. Got a svelte 10.0 lb '74 Dlx when it was just a couple of years old. Now have as many SC PRSi as all the other guitars combined.

The main reason for gifting a brother the SE245 was that he hadn't been playing for years and also has a WAY underused '66 ES-335. His SE245, on the right below (with covers on the G&Bs), is just too nice & pretty not to pick up and now he's playing his two tobacco sunbursts almost daily. Hard not to send him a set of better pickups too but I'll let him make that call.
BPD38398.jpg
Nice trio! I need me a soapie in my life!

One of the best things about this forum is that after a while you learn who's really knowledgable about certain areas. That's in addition to other widely held views about topics such as "SE guitars can (or almost always) have massive improvements in tone with great pickups."

For this 2011 SE245, I was never really happy with the stock G&B pickups, neither were very clear and the bridge never got fully clean. But after seeing lots of opinions, I was especially influenced by @Lewguitar and @SinSir who both have recommended Wolfetone Marshallheads with Alnico 2 magnets for the bridge. So when Wolfe had a sale a few months ago I got a Marshallhead A2 bridge/ Dr Vintage neck set. I finally put them on yesterday. I wasn't going to split them so opted for the braided shield cables and was surprised by how easy it was to solder the shield to the pot covers.

The Dr Vintage neck is a marked improvement over the stock G&B but isn't quite up to the tone of the 57/08 neck pup on the Stripped '58, but that's comparing it to a Core with one of the best pups that PRS makes. The Marshallhead A2, however is better than the 57/08 bridge and interestingly they have almost identical DCR readings at 8.9k. Running it through dozens of Marshall hard rock type amps on the Fractal FM9 gives uniformly tasty & nasty crunch. The only minor thing that I liked better on the old G&Bs were that the bridge had F spacing which isn't available on Wolfetones, but it's close enough for awesome tone.

So even though this forum encourages one to get more gear, if one listens and chooses wisely it can be amazing kit.

And the obligatory pic, even though it looks barely different than before. And in case anyone notices, the low string is significantly

And the obligatory pic, even though it looks barely different than before. And in case anyone notices, the low string is significantly bigger because it lives in drop D.
BPD38462f.jpg
Thanks! I’ve never heard the Dr. Vintage neck. But I love the A2 Marshallhead set! I should have grabbed a second set when they were on sale.!!

But I love the A2 Marshallhead set!
For me the Marshallhead A2 bridge / Dr Vintage neck is the reverse of the 57/08 set: the Wolfetone bridge is amazing and the neck is really good but not awesome whereas the 57/08 set has amazing neck and good but not great bridge.

@Lewguitar, how does the Marshallhead A2 neck pup in your Bernie compare with the 57/08 neck in either your other Bernie or the Stripped '58 while you had it?

For me the Marshallhead A2 bridge / Dr Vintage neck is the reverse of the 57/08 set: the Wolfetone bridge is amazing and the neck is really good but not awesome whereas the 57/08 set has amazing neck and good but not great bridge.

@Lewguitar, how does the Marshallhead A2 neck pup in your Bernie compare with the 57/08 neck in either your other Bernie or the Stripped '58 while you had it?
All of my 57/08 sets have slightly different output and DCR.

But i think I can say that the neck Marshallhead neck with my own Roughcast A2 magnet seems slightly stronger than my neck 57/08's.

I'll compare them today and get back with you.

Since I've been making Strats lately, I haven't been in a humbucker mood!

I play my Korean SE 245 more than my S2’s. And I don’t like thick necks. I need a pickup swap. Trying to pick up another for the bargain I bought mine.

I know Lew and a few others like the alnico 2 in a Mashallhead bridge pickup. I haven't cared for A2 in this pickup, but like it in others, such as the Legend or a Seth Lover. I did put an alnico 4 in a MH bridge pickup and holy cow is it fat and clear. In this particular guitar it sounds great.

I know Lew and a few others like the alnico 2 in a Mashallhead bridge pickup. I haven't cared for A2 in this pickup, but like it in others, such as the Legend or a Seth Lover. I did put an alnico 4 in a MH bridge pickup and holy cow is it fat and clear. In this particular guitar it sounds great.
I like A4 too. So does Paul and the Dragon 1 and 2 neck pickup are A4. I put A4 in the Duncan 59B I use as the neck pickup in my Black Bernie Marsden and to me it sounds very similar to the Dragon 1 neck pickup. According to Tom Holmes, most real 59 Gibson pafs used A4. He went through Gibson’s orders and most of the magnets Gibson ordered in 1959 and received were A4.

I prefer roughcast (not polished) A2, A4 and A5.

A3 is the weakest but it’s nice for clean jazz. Not very ballsy but it gives a humbucker a clear plucky sound when my pick first contacts the strings.

Back