NGD: My first PRS, a 408!

Ah ha, thanks. Not sure I'm quite game to be removing pickups just yet, maybe down the line when the honeymoon period is over :D

The MODCAT will definitely be under a pickup, but it should be on the case, or maybe on the hang tag.

The MODCAT will definitely be under a pickup, but it should be on the case, or maybe on the hang tag.

Oh you're right, there was a sticker on the side of the case, thanks. So this is what I get from that (though the decoder on this site is a bit out of date, so I had to reverse engineer this a bit using a different decoder and shifting the position of my actual modcat code a little. More info in the modcat thread):

Model: 408 Maple/Std Model
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured
Top Grade: Could not find Top Grade 'N'
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: Honduran Rosewood
Inlay: 2014+ Birds
Bridge: Gen III Tremolo
Color: Violet
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 408 or Paul's Guitar
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 408 or Paul's Guitar
Electronics: 408

Last edited:
Nice mate - nice to see another Aussie on here!

As for the Top Grade, if there is a '10' written on the back of the headstock next to the serial no., it will be a ten-top.

Just in case anyone cares, and for a bit of closure, I emailed support and they did confirm these are TCI tuned pickups and a Nitro CAB finish, so that's nice.

They also said that while the 408 has been discontinued, they're still fulfilling existing orders so they'll likely still be manufactured into next year (which probably isn't a surprise to anyone, but there you go).

Both the top and board are full of character, That is such a beautiful find, congrats
Enjoy in good health.

Back