NGD: My first PRS, a 408!

Hansel

I've been interested in PRS guitars for a little while now (I have a friend who's obsessed and has around 15 so he's slowly been conditioning me), but up until today I hadn't had much of a chance to play them. I use a Telecaster mainly, but I've been wanting something with humbuckers to give me a few more options.

Lockdown in my state (Australia) has lifted recently so I took a drive out to the only guitar shop with a decent selection of PRS and tried quite a lot. I went through Customs, DGT, 594's and 408's, and the 408 was the one that just felt right and stood out. I'm not sure I was expecting to walk away with a new guitar today, but I sure did.

It's a violet colour with just a lovely patterned fretboard. It has June 2020 on the tag, so does anyone know if that means the pickups will be TCI? Or are they not doing that for 408's yet?

EDIT:
Just in case anyone cares, and for a bit of closure, I emailed support and they did confirm these are TCI tuned pickups and a Nitro CAB finish, so that's nice.

They also said that while the 408 has been discontinued, they're still fulfilling existing orders so they'll likely still be manufactured into next year (which probably isn't a surprise to anyone, but there you go).

uocLqeT.jpg

7XmULIp.jpg

tFCJR7j.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful guitar but that fretboard really steals the show! The 408 is a great model, I’ve always wanted one but haven’t grabbed one....yet!

Sweet as sweet, dude! Great fretboard, too. As for TCI, if it’s 2020, it is TCI

Congrats! That's a beautiful color, and the wood on the fretboard is equally as beautiful.

I, too, purchased a 408 as my first PRS (you can see it in my avatar picture). I love it. I think it's incredibly versatile, and represents a very well-thought-out approach to the pickup sizes/setup.

Congrats! Beautiful guitar... I love that finish... My first Custom 24 was that finish, many, many moons ago, sold back in 1997 or so...

This is the only picture I have left of that guitar, and it's not a very good one...
6DHHytQ.jpg

Wow! Some beautiful wood all around on that one, including the headstock.

Love the tones you can get from that model.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone, exciting times.

Is there a way to get a full breakdown of all the parts used for a guitar? Like can you put in the serial number somewhere and see some finer detail about the build?

Thanks everyone, exciting times.

Is there a way to get a full breakdown of all the parts used for a guitar? Like can you put in the serial number somewhere and see some finer detail about the build?

You want to search the forum for "modcat decoder" and enjoy learning about that!

Fantastic first PRS! That resembles my Paul's Guitar a lot. Mine's quilt vs. flame and I don't have that beautiful figuring on the fretboard.

repose.png

You want to search the forum for "modcat decoder" and enjoy learning about that!

Fantastic first PRS! That resembles my Paul's Guitar a lot. Mine's quilt vs. flame and I don't have that beautiful figuring on the fretboard.

repose.png

Ah ha, thanks. Not sure I'm quite game to be removing pickups just yet, maybe down the line when the honeymoon period is over :D

Back