NEW USER... HELP!

delucmi

I have been playing since 1978 and never held a PRS until last week...

I have always been buying and selling guitars and am I'm love with the process. After selling my Music Man JP this week I think there is no other guitar I can replace it with but a PRS. I held an American made PRS and a Santana edition model made overseas and, frankly, BOTH blew me away. I am bit for sure. There was a feel to the neck that I have never experienced.

So here is why I am here...

As I have no experience with PRS I am overwhelmed with models and options. Can YOU recommend what I should review based on these few personal preferences:
  • Solid Body
  • Bird Inlays
  • NO Trem - solid bottom bridge for me.
  • PIEZO preffered
  • NOT a solid finish - the woods here are too beautiful to paint over (sunburst OK)

I am searching local dealers, eBay and CraigsList but at this point I am just confused. I only know I need to get here FAST!

THANKS!

I'd say a custom 24 is a MUST audition. It is the quintessential PRS IMO. However, I prefer the 22 frets of the Custom 22.
Both are available with piezo

Last edited:
If you need a piezo then you will be limited to either a P22 or a P24 based on your other criteria. Those are literally the only options off-the-peg that fit that list. If you go Private Stock though of course you can have whatever you want!

Whether you go 22 or 24 will depend on whether you prefer 24 fret guitars over 22 and the associated sounds/feel... they are otherwise extremely similar.

If it were me trying to fit a guitar to that list I would look for a P22 from last year's production - one with 53/10 pickups. They switched this year to 57/08 pickups which are just fine but the 53/10s are something special.

As noted before....

Look at the P22

Take a look on the official PRS page for the specs....and avail colors

I have the P22 Trem...and yes, they are very versatile guitars. You won't be disappointed!!

Tony

As has been said, the P22 (or the P24 used) are the best options as they are the only solid bodies with piezo. The Cu24 does not come without the trem (except in limited runs), and does not have a piezo. However, since you said piezo preferred, if you were to look at models without the piezo and have a stoptail, you could look at the SC245, the 408 (stoptail is an option), and the S2 series singlecut and Mira.

If you want other options the used market will have a number of SC and McCarty types that offer all the PRS options you could hope for. I didn't know what I wanted when I bought my first PRS. I got lucky. I got a great one for me right from the start. That did not help me, however, with the bug to acquire more. So just jump right in with your first one and let that guide you to the others that are surely coming.

I'd say a custom 24 is a MUST audition.

If you need a piezo then you will be limited to either a P22 or a P24 based on your other criteria.

As noted before.... Look at the P22

As has been said, the P22 (or the P24 used) are the best options as they are the only solid bodies with piezo.

I knew I could count on the community to steer me in the right direction. I still have work to do but THANK YOU to those above for heading me in the right direction.

Peace!

I knew I could count on the community to steer me in the right direction.

So - IT'S DONE. On it's way to my house is my first PRS - I got a P22 in Solana Burst with a stop tail and piezo. I'm sure I will have more to say once it arrives!

So - IT'S DONE. On it's way to my house is my first PRS - I got a P22 in Solana Burst with a stop tail and piezo. I'm sure I will have more to say once it arrives!

Wow. Now that's moving fast. Nothing like jumping in with both feet. :biggrin:
Congrats and don't forget the pics when you get it.

Nice!! 53/10s or 57/08s?

Indeed, pickup types. The first year of P22s used 53/10s. After that, 57/08s. It turns out 53/10s were genuinely made out of unobtanium and are not made anymore.

The 57/08s are great - modern classics - but 53/10s might be looked back upon one day as the hen's teeth of the PRS vintage-flavour pickup range. They are comparatively quite rare & they sound incredible.

So if your P22 has a pair... cherish 'em!

If you tell us the year of manufacture (first two digits of the SN on the back of the headstock) we might be able to work it out.

PS: Delivery scheduled for TOMORROW! (Friday)... the suspense is killing ME!

Either set of pickups are great and it's purely preference. Yes, 53/10's are the rarity and all the rage for some. I personally like 5708's better, myself. Congrats on the new guitar!

It's killing us too. Where is it and what do you think???
Got it! I waited for the UPS driver and when it arrived I went straight off to vacation... It is stunning - the color and finish is really amazing. 53/10s for sure (very cool). For me, the neck is a little fatter than I am used to... but I am getting used to this one. Thanks again for all the help - I am hooked! I hope the link tot he pic works...
pwQ1zDR4I-

Back