Gibson '59 recreation PAF pickups

I Can't Wait For The Year 2089 To Arrive So PRS Can Look Back In Time And Create More Pickups Catering To The Heavy Styled Music A Lot Of Us Play.

Gibson probably thought that guy on ebay with 5310s for 1500.00 was on to something!
Did they sell for that? I ask because not only do I think they're the best humbuckers to ever come out of PRS, but I happen to have a set I've been saving for just the right guitar, they're currently still sitting in a drawer new in their original box, and $1500 may be enough to convince me to release them into the wild.

Maybe. ;)

Did they sell for that? I ask because not only do I think they're the best humbuckers to ever come out of PRS, but I happen to have a set I've been saving for just the right guitar, they're currently still sitting in a drawer new in their original box, and $1500 may be enough to convince me to release them into the wild.

Maybe. ;)
God I hope not.. I just sourced a used set for a small fraction of that.

Maybe. ;)
I haven't checked for a long while but there is no way somebody would pay 1500.00.

I have a few sets of 5310s and I'd cash out immediately if I could get that kind of money.

Go price the pickup out of an old Fender Champion lapsteel. Student guitar, just happen to have some leftover pups that made their way into the first Broadcasters.
Makes these look fairly inexpensive.
Burst LP switchtips are more expensive too.
Pup rings will buy any Core you want.

I know I know..a PRS forum, but we have a lot of pickup junkies here and Paul has released his fair share of 5x/xx.

I'm a pickup fanatic. I must have owned over 50 sets of pickups and given away most while upgrading. There are so many PAF styles though and 59 was a year that PAF windings were so inconsistent that they could literally sound like Greenies or Pearly Gates. We all want to believe but...

I have learned to take any companies claims at "historical accuracy" with a grain of salt. This mostly being due to knowing that every single time they come out with a PAF set, every company claims the newest formula is now the "most accurate ever". This is not unlike when Joe Bonamassa releases a new set with Seymour Duncan and claims "You all waited for it and it's here, the most sought after pups from Joe's personal favorite guitar!!!". The purpose of such marketing strategy is to create hype and no doubt, it delivers to do this all the time.

I might try them but I'm not too excited. I am also getting a bit tired of the 59 PAF releases which is why I took Gibson USA buckets out my Les Paul and put Bare Knuckle Peacemakers in it. They seem to be innovative but still PAF's. I find myself wanting to try new things vs chasing what everyone else is though. My tastes are ever changing.

Although, speaking of novelty… I’m not sure I could ever buy a set of pickups that came in that case. It’s just too much, bruh.
You're missing the possibilities here...

Present the patient with his or her new Deluxe Custom Crown (or bridge) in a boutique jewelry case and double your prices!

If I had the coin in the gear budget to burn, you bet I'd buy those pickups just to get the case and get a whiff of the vomit stench from the butyrate bobbins.

When I bought the BAE 1073 mic preamp, which is truly a more accurate reproduction of the Neve 1073 than Neve's own reproduction, down to the Carnhill transformers, they offered it with a very nice (optional) travel case made by the company that makes the cases for PRS Private Stock acoustics.

You bet your bippy I bought it with the optional case!

Always buy the optional case and avoid future regret. Do not show up at an outside studio with your special mic preamp in a freaking cardboard box. :)

Last edited:
Wait, isn't that what we're here for?
YES!! :)

At least that's what all our jealous friends and family tell us. I can't tell you how many friends I have slowly cut off from communication simply because every time I posted something I bought (or brought it into church), they gave some snide remark, strange look of disgust or what have you. I told myself I would waste money on purpose to spite those people. I've never disappointed myself lol

I understand there's a lot of variables with pickups. Just thought I'd share a little story from my past regarding real PAF's.

Back in 1978 I was playing bass in a new band. One of our guitar players used a 1970 Les Paul through an old 1959 Fender Bassman amp, the model with 4, 10's. Guitar, cord and amp. What a sound! He also had a 1959 Les Paul but didn't want to use it in the clubs. One day I asked him what all the fuss was regarding '59 LP's and he said "I'll bring it to practice tomorrow."

To compare, he started with his '70 LP. Yup, sounds great. Then he plugged the '59 LP in. Without getting overly dramtic, the obvious immediate difference was how much bigger the '59 sounded and with more articulation. I was amazed at how the higher strings seemed to hit you in the chest. Yeah, I can see (and hear) why people love those guitars and PAF's.

Is it fair to compare the two mentioned LP's? Maybe not but it's all I have to go by. Again, many variables make up the end result but I know what I heard. Will these new Gibson PAF's do the same? I have no idea.

1% can definitely be worth it if it aides the brain, ears and hands. That 1% can then translate to much more....5...10...15%

Who Can Put A Price Tag On A New Gimmick? ;)
da761c0bac7d6769541ea137143f5249355786a2.gif

I know I know..a PRS forum, but we have a lot of pickup junkies here and Paul has released his fair share of 5x/xx.

As much as I'd LOVE to order these and have the ability to, $999 is a bit much for me to justify 😆

Still pretty sweet to see that they're selling these. So, what will be interesting is to see if there are as much inconsistencies in these sets as we'd expect from 59!!!

Back