New Guitar Day: Private Stock 7 String Singlecut Tremolo in Smoked Dark Purple Glow

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
Well folks following the incoming thread, it arrived a day early. Now isn't that a nice surprise?

What's there to say? Well, to begin with, this is my absolute dream guitar. A year after I started playing seven string (after 15 years of six) and fell in love with it, I knew it (7 String) was not a passing fad and I could make the bold move of speccing my dream Private Stock 7 String. I learnt a lot of lessons with the speccing of my first Private Stock, the 594 Tremolo Piezo and I also learnt a lot about what like in terms of pickups, scale lengths etc.

The specs are as follows. I will make a second video at a later date talking about why I made each choice.

Full thickness Singlecut Shape, Tremolo, Smoked Dark Purple Glow with Gold hardware, Bare Knuckle Aftermath neck, Juggernaut Bridge, 26.5 inch scale. 594 layout.
The body is mahogany, the neck and fretboard maple. The mahogany body was a must and as I played the guitar, I am glad. It has that Les Paul tone despite the scale length and 24 frets. Tonewood sceptics flame me, but I can never get that with a Swamp Ash body, as much as I love the look. However it is incredibly light and well balanced, further reminding one why one goes Private Stock.

Anyways without further ado, here are the pics and the arrival video.

P.S: I got the wife to unbox because (a) She is much better than me with anything to do with tools (b) Let's face it, more clicks. If I go through the effort of making a video, it's great to get more views

The Black Western Tolex Case beckons
YFf1yaa.jpeg

Inside lies a mighty beast
AcNV4gD.jpeg

Purple and Gold and a few things more
gBd6XC5.jpeg

Equally stunning from the back

B2UMk42.jpeg

Also, I haven't named the guitar yet. Suggestions welcome

Last edited:
Very cool, dig the color. I may not be a 7 string guy, but I've never given it a honest go, either. Congrats on your dream guitar!

Nice!

I love playing seven-stringers. I assume fanned frets were not an option? I believe PRS no longer offers that even via PS.

What string spacing did you select? The standard PRS 6-string spacing (7mm center to center), with a 7th string added, or the slightly compressed spacing they have on the 7-string SE models (about 6.5mm center to center)?

The mahogany body was a must and as I played the guitar, I am glad. It has that Les Paul tone despite the scale length and 24 frets. Tonewood sceptics flame me, but I can never get that with a Swamp Ash body, as much as I love the look.
I don't understand the argument that different woods "can't" impact tone - the strings vibrate into the body & neck via nut, frets, and bridge, the wood rings acoustically, and those acoustics then feedback into the strings, which then get turned into signal via the pickups. And the wood picks up the sound from the amplifier, which causes it to ring, etc.

I mean, look at how many people like or dislike a guitar with a rosewood neck because of how it affects the tone!

For the majority of production electric guitars, does it impact it as much as an acoustic guitar? No. But I certainly experience a difference in tone based on the wood composition of an electric guitar.

Nice!

I love playing seven-stringers. I assume fanned frets were not an option? I believe PRS no longer offers that even via PS.

What string spacing did you select? The standard PRS 6-string spacing (7mm center to center), with a 7th string added, or the slightly compressed spacing they have on the 7-string SE models (about 6.5mm center to center)?

I don't understand the argument that different woods "can't" impact tone - the strings vibrate into the body & neck via nut, frets, and bridge, the wood rings acoustically, and those acoustics then feedback into the strings, which then get turned into signal via the pickups. And the wood picks up the sound from the amplifier, which causes it to ring, etc.

I mean, look at how many people like or dislike a guitar with a rosewood neck because of how it affects the tone!

For the majority of production electric guitars, does it impact it as much as an acoustic guitar? No. But I certainly experience a difference in tone based on the wood composition of an electric guitar.
Yeah no interest in fanned frets. Tried them multiple times. Given the weird chord voicings I doand Indian style rapid multi fret slides, they don’t suit me at all. Plus I wanted a trem

On woods I fully agree with you . Rosewood necks for example gives a very distinctive tone which you may or may not like

It Brings Me Joy Seeing You HAPPY With Your New Guitar! Very Cool, Congrats!

Yeah no interest in fanned frets. Tried them multiple times. Given the weird chord voicings I doand Indian style rapid multi fret slides, they don’t suit me at all. Plus I wanted a trem
Ah, OK. I have a Strandberg 7 with fanned frets and a trem (so it is obviously possible), and I really like the feel - seems very natural with that relatively mild fan compared to some more extreme varieties out there. Strandberg's fan on their 8-stringers is apparently a bit more extreme. (But I might try one anyway, to compare to an 8-stringer I already have.)

Ah, OK. I have a Strandberg 7 with fanned frets and a trem (so it is obviously possible), and I really like the feel - seems very natural with that relatively mild fan compared to some more extreme varieties out there. Strandberg's fan on their 8-stringers is apparently a bit more extreme. (But I might try one anyway, to compare to an 8-stringer I already have.)
Oh yes. It’s possible (even the musicman kaizen has a multi scale trem) but PRS doesn’t have one. Yeah I have friends who love multi scale also. Somehow doesn’t suit me for some reason

Back