Need some opinions pls and thx

I think they were pretty much equal. They played very different roles and played off of each other and did it very well. Many people underestimate the rhythm parts of songs. IMHO Eddie Van Halen's best work was his rhythms. Those are what made him such a great player. The hammer ons and tapping was something flashy to put the finishing touches on the riffs and rhythms he laid down. I see Malcolm and Angus as the two parts that Eddie did. They are as important to rock music as Eddie was.

I have been a huge AC/DC fan ever since I first heard them. They have always been that in your face raw rock and roll music that get gets your soul dancing.

I get a kick out of the "Music is not a competition" side of things and on some levels can somewhat agree. However, the dynamics of life itself has made everything a competition in some way. There are "measuring sticks" and "levels" in all thing and in all aspects whether we like it or not or even care to admit it or not for that matter. Nobody is racing to listen to a bad band, Nobody suggests a terrible restaurant to another for their dining pleasure. Does everybody get a ribbon? I think not...and if they do, they shouldn't.

I get a kick out of the "Music is not a competition" side of things and on some levels can somewhat agree. However, the dynamics of life itself has made everything a competition in some way. There are "measuring sticks" and "levels" in all thing and in all aspects whether we like it or not or even care to admit it or not for that matter. Nobody is racing to listen to a bad band, Nobody suggests a terrible restaurant to another for their dining pleasure. Does everybody get a ribbon? I think not...and if they do, they shouldn't.
The guitar player community in the small town I grew up in was super competitive. We all used to meet at the local happening guitar shop in town and jam. The owner was cool with all of us doing that. This was back in the late 70's when the guitar gymnastics was ramping up. If you could do hammer ons like Eddie you were super cool. If you couldn't you sucked. All of this competition was really rooted in ignorance. Most of the guys didn't know anything about what they were doing and couldn't improvise a solo to save their lives. There was no regard for the different styles that each person brought to the table. It was all about how flashy you could play and make it look cool and hit all of the right notes. You never had to answer a question about what key you were playing in or what scales you were using. Nobody knew. Getting away from that type environment was the best thing for my playing, besides taking lessons and learning how the fretboard actually works. When I see these competitive statements these days I automatically think the person making the statement has more to learn. Please don't take that as a knock on your post. Your post just reminded me of a time in my youth where I saw this happening every day. I agree with your statements. Live in general is competitive if you are trying to make a living or get ahead in some way.

The guitar player community in the small town I grew up in was super competitive. We all used to meet at the local happening guitar shop in town and jam. The owner was cool with all of us doing that. This was back in the late 70's when the guitar gymnastics was ramping up. If you could do hammer ons like Eddie you were super cool. If you couldn't you sucked. All of this competition was really rooted in ignorance. Most of the guys didn't know anything about what they were doing and couldn't improvise a solo to save their lives. There was no regard for the different styles that each person brought to the table. It was all about how flashy you could play and make it look cool and hit all of the right notes. You never had to answer a question about what key you were playing in or what scales you were using. Nobody knew. Getting away from that type environment was the best thing for my playing, besides taking lessons and learning how the fretboard actually works. When I see these competitive statements these days I automatically think the person making the statement has more to learn. Please don't take that as a knock on your post. Your post just reminded me of a time in my youth where I saw this happening every day. I agree with your statements. Live in general is competitive if you are trying to make a living or get ahead in some way.
No offense or knock taken my friend. I get what you are saying. :)

And yet, musical success doesn't always involve the best player.

It's mythology, in my humble, prehistoric, opinion. Is Clapton the best guitar player in the world? Was Hendrix? Was Beck? Was Page? When they were hugely popular, Wes Montgomery was still around. I know because I saw him perform at jazz clubs. So were other great players.

It 100% depends what you like on a purely subjective basis.

Is there a pecking order? I don't think so. All of them, every last one, produced wonderful music.

So, f@ck the competition thing. If you like it, it's good. If not, it might still be good, just not your thing.

I consider myself a very mediocre guitar player. I've also made a lot of session fees and royalties with the instrument. Screw it. I don't care what anyone thinks. Royalty checks from playing guitar and making music funded my life for many years, put my kids through college, and made my life joy instead of drudgery.

You like drudgery? Cool. I didn't and left a legit law firm I ran in order to do music.

I say go for it, if you're so inclined, and if not, fine, but NEVER sell yourself short. EVER.

It's NOT a contest; it never WAS a contest; and it will never BE a contest. Screw all that. Do what you do. Make the best music you can. And forget the BS of peer approval.

As far as which dude in a great band was better, if you have a head on your shoulders it's entirely irrelevant. If you like the music, you're in business, and if not, that's cool, too.

Last edited:
I have been a huge AC/DC fan ever since I first heard them. They have always been that in your face raw rock and roll music that get gets your soul dancing.
We will get along swimmingly. Eddie, Angus and Malcolm. I love these guys. Great motivational tools to use. These guys for me personally are still exciting as the first time I heard them

And yet, musical success doesn't always involve the best player.

It's mythology, in my humble, prehistoric, opinion. Is Clapton the best guitar player in the world? Was Hendrix? Was Beck? Was Page? When they were hugely popular, Wes Montgomery was still around. I know because I saw him perform at jazz clubs. So were other great players.

It 100% depends what you like on a purely subjective basis.

Is there a pecking order? I don't think so. All of them, every last one, produced wonderful music.

So, f@ck the competition thing. If you like it, it's good. If not, it might still be good, just not your thing.

I consider myself a very mediocre guitar player. I've also made a lot of session fees and royalties with the instrument. Screw it. I don't care what anyone thinks. Royalty checks from playing guitar and making music funded my life for many years, put my kids through college, and made my life joy instead of drudgery.

You like drudgery? Cool. I didn't and left a legit law firm I ran in order to do music.

I say go for it, if you're so inclined, and if not, fine, but NEVER sell yourself short. EVER.

It's NOT a contest; it never WAS a contest; and it will never BE a contest. Screw all that. Do what you do. Make the best music you can. And forget the BS of peer approval.

As far as which dude in a great band was better, if you have a head on your shoulders it's entirely irrelevant. If you like the music, you're in business, and if not, that's cool, too.
My comment was possibly not the best written but I do stand behind what I wrote. I cold have elaborated in various directions further but my mind at the moment was onto a single thought. :)

My point was/is that society as a whole loves to box people in and make it about best this or best that. There is a best or better but it is IMO relative to apples and apples comparisons in my mind. Comparing Jeff Beck to Tommy Emmanuel isn't a realistic comparison. I can say both in that example. People will always say that what they like is better because they like it. :)

You...the person reading this....is the best you in the whole world. Nobody can do what you do better than you. It is always advise (my opinion) to be YOU...Be Who You Are. Be Original and never apologize for it. EVER!

My comment was never a let's whip out the tape measure and drop our pants and see who wins. That kind of "competition" serves no purpose and solves nothing. I also agree the "best" in skill may not equate to the "best" in sales or popularity. Still, there is something about the "best" (however it is categorized and the conclusion arrived at) that is different than the norm or ordinary. I guess that is based on appeal more than anything. A lot of great products never make it to market or are a success due to all kinds of reasons...marketability being one of them and profitability being another. So while it may to originate as a contest, those dynamics somehow get introduced and or find a way into the mix in most instances. It is just human nature....and it doesn't make it right. It just takes it so in a lot of cases. :)

I’m in with the both crowd, and Les, the neither crowd (Les and the imaginary? conversationalist that joins many of his posts). Malcolm and Angus ARE AC/DC. The band just wouldn’t be without both. All said much more eloquently by others above. God I love that band.

My comment was never a let's whip out the tape measure and drop our pants and see who wins.
Hang on...those are the only contests I ever win!

[insert 'laughing until tears roll off my face' emoji]

Seriously, some stuff can be measured. Other stuff is pure opinion. 'Who's the better guitar player' is pure opinion.

Back