My Limited PRS Experience

SamIV

I own a 98 CE 24 with HFS/VB pickups, an S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow, an S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow, and an SE Tremonti Custom. The S2’s and SE have stock pickups. The best built by far is the CE24. I owned a new model CE24 for two days. I much prefer the 98 model. The build quality and feel were better in my opinion. Although my CE24 is my best built, and by a larger margin than I would have thought, I am going to sell it. I prefer a 22 fret guitar, so it doesn’t get played.

My S2 guitars play well, and I prefer the feel of the pattern regular neck. They will need fret levels for my playing style, where the CE24 did not. I like my action low, and to get it that way I do fret levels under tension. There are those that say it makes no difference whether under tension or not. I respect that opinion, but this works for me. Also the finish is much better on the CE24 as well. My SE has a more robust finish also. My S2’s nick much easier, Sue to what is seems is a thinner top coat. Might be a preference of some. Can’t say the pickups are better in the higher end CE, because I am not a fan of the HFS/VB’s. Considering pickups for one of my S2’s now and the SE at a later date. Already replaced one set in the Singlecut.

My SE Tremonti Custom is a great playing and feeling guitar. It just feels substantial at just under 8 lbs. It is Korean made as well. Although I like the neck carve on the S2’s, I like this one as well. It is the wide/thin carve. For some reason, l like it over the CE24’s wide thin carve. Maybe has something to do with the 22 frets. It has had fret work and nut work though. It is the easiest of my guitars to play. String tension is lighter for some reason. I know I rambled a bit, but hope this might help others with their buying decisions. This place has helped me in my short time here, and hoping I can do the same. These are just my opinions, and there are many others out there that my be different.

Last edited:
And I have an S2 Custom 22 Standard in my future hopefully. Plan to mod one HSS whenever I get around and to it. Or if I get a deal on a used Vela and mod that. Will see how that works out. Not in a hurry.

And this has happened in a short period. I owned close to 15 guitars of other brands, which most were imports. Sold all and own only PRS now. Guess the kool aide was good.
I’m doing exactly the same thing. Brought 5 guitars to my local shop for consignment and will probably bring 3 more soon. I’ve got 4 PRSes (SE Custom 2408, SE Zach Myers, SE HB II w/ Piezo, McCarty 594 HB II) and I’m Jonesing for more.

Back