Let's talk about Scotch, man!

I was cleaning/dusting the liquor cabinet yesterday (boss' orders) and had a couple of things jump out at me that I thought I'd share. First, for us 'Mericans that don't spend much time in British grocery stores, here's something I picked up in Oxford several years ago. Apparently Sainsbury (huge grocery store chain) has their own private labeled, well, everything...canned foods, dry goods, etc. We have the same thing here. Well, what we don't have is private labeled single malt whisky! I wasn't brave enough to get a big bottle, so I bought a sampler set...
sainsbury1.jpg

One is still not opened after all these years, so I'm planning on having it for my birthday this weekend. :)

Since I was reminiscing about travels past, I pulled out my bottle of Macallan that I carried back from another trip to Oxford. It was an old 18 year back then, so it's really old now...
macallan1.jpg

Wanting to just sniff that amazing bouquet again, I attempted to open the cork when it snapped off! After carefully removing the remnant and installing an emergency cork, I've decided to have this for my birthday too. Only a couple of servings left but it's time to drink it before something bad happens to the rest.

This will be a special birthday for me this year. :)

I bought a bottle of The Balvenie a couple months ago and finished it recently. It was pretty good, very drinkable, but a little too mellow for me - like it was a little watered down.

Oh I just knew there'd be a Scotch thread here! Got the bug last year when I visited family in Sweden... Swedes having a rep for being drinkers, all the uncles and some cousins there preferred Scotch. I was an Irish Whiskey drinker at the time but finally was able to make the leap to Scotch... I'm half Irish and I havent' looked back.

If you're looking to get into Scotch, It did take me a few years in order to understand it. Like many say, it's an acquired taste. I tell people when they first try it to use enough water to mellow it enough to suit your taste. That may mean, when you're first starting out, that you use quite a bit or even... err... and I kinda hate to say it now, but consider putting it on ice. That way you're actually able to taste all the different levels of flavor depending on how diluted it gets. Then gradually you can back off the water more and more until you use just a few drops or so. I'd say 90% of the time I have at least a little water in my Scotch in order to open it up.

Like some here I prefer the Islays. Love the big and bold smoke and peat. My faves in this category are:
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Laphroiag Quarter Cask (excellent for it's price point and one of my all time faves. The quarter casks helps mature the whisky faster and adds outstanding flavor)
Lapthroiag 10 Cask Strength (58.6%)
Lagavulin 12 (quite unlike the 16 I'd say. Hands down the best 12yo I've tried)

I generally don't like the Sherries as much but if I were to recommend a couple that compares to a Macallan but are less expensive (are Macs overpriced??) it would be:
Glendronach 15 Revival (Excellent beginner Scotch. Low smoke/peat. Make sure it's the Revival)
The Dalmore 15 (Big Sherry bomb. Very little smoke and peat. Low alc/vol)

One Sherry that's remarkable is:
Abelour A'bunadh (60% alc/vol and wicked smooth at that! I don't put water in this one which is pretty unusual for such a high alcohol content... oh and usually I've had a couple before I get to this one.)

Someone mentioned Talisker and I have to say that the 18 is one of my all time faves! Extremely smooth and balanced smoky peat, vanillas, lite florals and carmel. Think I finished that bottle the fastest out of any.

A great and trusted review site I've found is LAWS. I've found it much better than Jim Murray (who steered me wicked wrong on a very expensive bottle)
http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com

I don't really buy the HPs any longer. I've found the quality to vary too much. Plus I find that I prefer others now. However that HP 18 is definitely tasty and the 12 is outstanding for it's price point. Try Bruichladdich 18, maybe, if you like HPs.

Unfortunately, I haven't been drinking any Scotch lately cause I got hit with some bad stomach problems (too much Scotch and Habanero salsa maybe??). I'm hoping to get back to it soon enough.

Cheers! :biggrin:

Ardbeg commanding the lineup...

Last edited:
what is a good Scotch to recommend to a beginner? Something light and not too complex, but not crap.
If you don't want to drop a bunch of cash on a bottle initially, I would recommend Highland Park 12 as a starting point. I only say that because I find Mac 12 a bit too sour imo and the HP 12 is certainly less expensive to get going. If you want a Scotch with very little to no smoke or peat, consider Glendronach 15 Revival. It's going to be one of the lightest Scotches with sweet fruity Sherry notes. Otherwise, Mac 18 is certainly an extremely good expression of the Speyside style imo, oily smooth and well balanced with some lite smoke in the background. Nothing overpowering. However, Mac 18 is a chunk of change to drop for a bottle. The good thing is that Mac 18 can be found in most good bars and restaurants where a dram will still set you back a bit but sometimes you just have to sacrifice!

A better way to go would be to find a good bar with a lot of Scotch to try. That way you can sample several, I mean a couple, let's not get too crazy now...

Oh and a beer back is nice! Have a Pale Ale or IPA with an Islay. The flavors definitely complement. Of course Guinness Draught or Murphy's Irish Stout is good with just about any Irish Whiskey or Scotch Whisky imo.

Last edited:
I'm sipping Tequila mostly these days - Don Edwardo, Don Julio, 'Tres Generations, Cazadores Anejo...Patron if there's nothing else around. I don't drink much so I only drink the good stuff! ;)
Clase Azul Reposado or Silver(chilled) are unreal imo!

Last edited:
I recently ate at Lewnes' Steahhouse in Annapolis, MD. One of the best meals of my life! Everything we had was phenomenal. Including a Scotch I had never tried, Talisker 10 Year. You can see one of my favorite whisky reviewers give it a go on YouTube here. I will be getting a bottle of this very soon.

ohhhhhhhhh .. Lewnes

I find it interesting that the two recent threads that have received the most posts have been 1) What kind of car do you drive? and 2) Let's Talk Scotch, man.....says a lot about you guys!:cheers:

I find it interesting that the two recent threads that have received the most posts have been 1) What kind of car do you drive? and 2) Let's Talk Scotch, man.....says a lot about you guys!:cheers:
I love to drink and drive!!

(this is one of my dry, sarcastic posts nobody ever laughs at)

Shared a bit of my stash today with a neighbor. A few splashes of Lagavulin 16 and it was off for steaks. Good times.

Nice spread Kine. Your cabinet looks quite like mine. :top:

Nice pickup jfb! ^^^ Enjoy that delicious smoke n peat! Give us a review will ya!?

Last edited:
My boss is out this week. Work has been a bit hectic. Poured a half dram o Laphroaig Quarter Cask with a couple drops of water. Smokey sugar water! :p

My boss is out this week. Work has been a bit hectic. Poured a half dram o Laphroaig Quarter Cask with a couple drops of water. Smokey sugar water! :p

I've been drinking Black Maple Hill bourbon lately though Auchentoshan has made some appearances amongst the usual suspects of heavy smoke and peat.

I've been drinking Black Maple Hill bourbon lately though Auchentoshan has made some appearances amongst the usual suspects of heavy smoke and peat.
Never been a big bourbon fan. I used sometimes get it at a bar and mix it with something. How do you drink yours? I have the Auchentoshan 21 and find it similar to an Irish Whiskey since it's triple distilled.

I think I'm moving on to a splash o Ardbeg next... but which one? :dontknow:

Never been a big bourbon fan. I used sometimes get it at a bar and mix it with something. How do you drink yours? I have the Auchentoshan 21 and find it similar to an Irish Whiskey since it's triple distilled.

I think I'm moving on to a splash o Ardbeg next... but which one? :dontknow:

I'm just trying to spread my wings a little.

Neat. Everything neat. Primarily for simplicity.

I'm just trying to spread my wings a little.

Neat. Everything neat. Primarily for simplicity.
So no water in Bourbon? I typically put a couple drops of water in my Scotch. 95% of the time I'd say.

Back