I Need To Talk About My DGT.

I too have an affinity for the DGT. I notice around 90% of the time I play the DGTs with the split coil mode enabled. I love that chimey sound I can get on the DGTs without all the hum that I get with my Stratocaster. I much prefer the DGT tremolo and frets over my Stratocaster. I recently played a Studio. Its another guitar that I think I would love to have.

Love love love playing my Wood Library DGT!!!

It doesn't just look great... It sounds and plays great, too!
m3iktl9.jpeg

nF5TxBV.jpeg

yT57q2N.jpeg
DGTs sound amazing stock, but perhaps even better with a harder shaft. Nice maple neck, bro. Brothers from another mother:

IMG_0267.jpg

Standing at attention:

20160715_112459_resized.jpg

I had an '06 McCarty in Amber. Great guitar.
I also had a burgundy fire-mist metallic 594 but sold it because of the too much overlap with the McCarty and the DGT - I liked those two the best. For a double humbucker guitar with the Maple over Mahogany recipe you cant do too much better than these two - a joy and easy to play and they won't deform your shoulder.

I already have multiple guitars that are better than I deserve, so I don't obsess over this question, but I do wonder sometimes. The two that really have my "they could be the one" attention is the Santana or 594. But I am so in love with what I have, that I'm not on the constant hunt for something better, so maybe I'll never know what "my ultimate guitar" is.

You, my friend, deserve the finest, no-holds-barred guitars and amps, and you've earned every bit of them with the many years of hard work you've put in to get where you are on the instrument today. So yeah, I hope you find your guitar bliss, because the Life Clock is ticking, and there's no time like the present.

If I had your chops - hell, if I still had the chops I had before the nerve damage to my fretting hand - I'd have a PS DGT made and call it done. Given where I am now, I'd be reluctant to make that call.

That's not a prescription I'm suggesting for you, sir, or anyone else, it's just me talking about what I'd do.

i've always thought a pair of dgt's could pretty much cover any touring gig that most folks would ever have.

This is one of the things that sometimes worries me. What if I do play a Santana and Bodia and Sergio are right??? :eek::eek::eek: Then I'd have 6 PRS guitars that I love, 3 of which my wife bought me, that would all be second class citizens while I plotted, schemed and sold to fund at least one Santana.

Truth is, this, or Jason's thread about the studio... we just don't know until we play the "ultimate guitar for us" what it is. And along the way, many other great ones may come along that "we think" is the best... until we find THE ONE.

I already have multiple guitars that are better than I deserve, so I don't obsess over this question, but I do wonder sometimes. The two that really have my "they could be the one" attention is the Santana or 594. But I am so in love with what I have, that I'm not on the constant hunt for something better, so maybe I'll never know what "my ultimate guitar" is.

Then again, it could be an Axis Super Sport. :p
Ehhh… I’d be fine with your CU22 Semi unless you need a second volume control.

I too have an affinity for the DGT. I notice around 90% of the time I play the DGTs with the split coil mode enabled. I love that chimey sound I can get on the DGTs without all the hum that I get with my Stratocaster. I much prefer the DGT tremolo and frets over my Stratocaster. I recently played a Studio. Its another guitar that I think I would love to have.
When I was looking at that Strat, with its steel bridge and saddle and those 'screws of torture', and thought about the trem bridges on my PRS guitars and how smooth and buttery they are, it became kind of a no brainer to go with the DGT.

I am SO GLAD I did.

My DGT is one of the finest guitars I've ever had. I do have to say tho, after having it quite awhile now, I think I have decided I'm not a fan of the fat neck. I can play it, but it's not a neck shape that is most comfortable for me. I LOVE the bridge pickup tone, it's perfect. I find the coil splits just OK. Better ones on my EBMM Luke III. The DGT is a work of art, and a perfectly engineered instrument. I just wish the neck was a little smaller :(

"Reminds me of a Tele on the bridge pickup" is close enough for me. "Reminds me of a Strat" with the neck pickup split works for me. That's pretty convenient, because I've had Teles and Strats, and only used the bridge pickup on a Tele and the neck pickup on a Strat.

Also, you need three pickups for quack, and the DGT has only two.

This is me exactly. And Grissom himself describes the idea for the DGT as a "tele on steroids". That's exactly what it is, especially on the bridge pickup. My tele (which has a slightly hotter bridge pickup, around 9K), sounds very very similar to my DGT bridge pickup. Into the same amp, interchangeable (except for the hum cancelling of the DGT of course)

BTW- you can get quack with 2 pickups, my EBMM Luke III (2 humbuckers) has unique wiring that gives me strat quack in 2 positions.

You know how a "certain someone" here loves the Santana? I'm down with that. Great guitars.

But I'm forming a very special bond with my DGT. In fact, I'm a bit surprised by how much I love playing it. I figured it'd be a niche thing in my studio, a guitar that I could make sound a bit like a Tele or Strat (close enough for my purposes, anyway) in addition to the McCarty kind of things I spend most of my time with, plus all the PRS touches.

However, it's become the essential PRS here at Studio Craptastic. Surprise! It's the ideal inanimate object/human romance!

I try to rotate through my little handful of guitars on a daily basis, but each day I lean a little bit more toward the DGT than my PS guitars. That's saying something - I adore those guitars.

I kept the stock .011s on it, and got used to them very quickly. It seems I'm a manly man even among the manly men here - who knew? I always figured my light touch, no-metal-zone and obsession with studio decor ruled that out. ;)

The neck fits my hand really well, even though it's different from the others. I no longer even notice the bigger frets. It just feels right. Hell, it IS right.

The tone is to die for.

[Author's Note: At my age 'to die for' might be a bit too literal an expression :oops: but it does sound stellar.]

Maybe I got lucky and simply landed a winner. Or maybe they're all that good. I've only played a few, so I have no idea. I sure like this one. The DGT is a wonderful guitar. I wish I'd gotten one sooner.
Hi Les.. Ah yes, my DGT….. my most played PRS for all the reasons you listed and it‘s certainly the most versatile, although my other 4 are very unique in their own way….P-22, SC’58, McCarty DC594, Santana. And all very different sounding

Last edited:
This is me exactly. And Grissom himself describes the idea for the DGT as a "tele on steroids". That's exactly what it is, especially on the bridge pickup. My tele (which has a slightly hotter bridge pickup, around 9K), sounds very very similar to my DGT bridge pickup. Into the same amp, interchangeable (except for the hum cancelling of the DGT of course)

BTW- you can get quack with 2 pickups, my EBMM Luke III (2 humbuckers) has unique wiring that gives me strat quack in 2 positions.
This is great info - both topics!

My DGT is one of the finest guitars I've ever had. I do have to say tho, after having it quite awhile now, I think I have decided I'm not a fan of the fat neck. I can play it, but it's not a neck shape that is most comfortable for me. I LOVE the bridge pickup tone, it's perfect. I find the coil splits just OK. Better ones on my EBMM Luke III. The DGT is a work of art, and a perfectly engineered instrument. I just wish the neck was a little smaller :(
Great comments - the odd thing for me is that I find the neck feels smaller than the Pattern necks I’m used to; more like the Pattern Regular on my CU24 PS.

When I was looking at that Strat, with its steel bridge and saddle and those 'screws of torture', and thought about the trem bridges on my PRS guitars and how smooth and buttery they are, it became kind of a no brainer to go with the DGT.

I am SO GLAD I did.

The "screws of torture" made me laugh because it's so true. I can't tell you how much blood has been spilled on my old Fender bridges. My #1 Fender is a 61 Esquire and I upgraded to a Callaham bridge and saddles in part to stop the blood letting.

Most of my guitars are vintage or vintage inspired but playing a modern PRS trem equipped guitar is such a nice change. A marvel of engineering.

The "screws of torture" made me laugh because it's so true. I can't tell you how much blood has been spilled on my old Fender bridges. My #1 Fender is a 61 Esquire and I upgraded to a Callaham bridge and saddles in part to stop the blood letting.

Most of my guitars are vintage or vintage inspired but playing a modern PRS trem equipped guitar is such a nice change. A marvel of engineering.

While I HATE the vintage bridges, some people do it right- my EBMM Luke III has the "vintage style bent steel" saddles, but MUCH shorter action height screws, so they don't stick out of the saddles, inviting bloodletting LOL.

On my Fenders, I always replace the "vintage style" saddles with the American Standard style saddles for this very reason.

Back