Is it wrong of me to like playing my SE 594 more than my SE DGT?

Mondoslug

A little tongue in cheek here but I want to love the DGT, I do like it a lot, frets are killer, Bridge pup is pretty killer and it has the Trem. The Splits are okay, everybody loves them, I mean they sound good and it does play great. The 594 however is always in tune, makes me want to play it. Nut, Tuners, Trem, whatever it is, it's always a bit out. Even if getting to the bottom of all that, some guitars you just pick up & they are dialed in from the get go...and always in tune. I want a DGT, I just think maybe there's a better one out there although the looks of this one(birds included :)) looks cool & it does sound good. It's just always a little bit out after a bit.

Decaff!

My PRS consist of a pair of SS (RW & Maple board), a 594, a Custom 24 and a Paul’s Guitar. All are core or better and sometimes I notice minor tuning drift. I keep them in hard cases which isolates them from temperature and humidity changes. So I expect some small changes in tuning as they acclimate to the room out of the case. I notice the neck and strings feel cool to the touch and then warm during play. Humidity and temp affect the neck and body as the wood expands, contracts, and bend/twist. Temp affects the length of the strings, height of saddles, and springs in a trem. All of these affect the tuning. I case each one with them in tune, and when taken out of the case some need minor tuning tweaks. After several minutes they need retuned, often going back to the setting when they were in the case. Feels like if I just played them before tuning they would go back in tune as they acclimate. I feel lucky when one comes out of the case in tune, and I don’t feel stress when having to tweak one here and there.

If the strings are properly stretched and it's not going to far out of tune you might try lubing the nut and saddles. Assuming the slots are cut wide enough that may be enough.

My PRS consist of a pair of SS (RW & Maple board), a 594, a Custom 24 and a Paul’s Guitar. All are core or better and sometimes I notice minor tuning drift. I keep them in hard cases which isolates them from temperature and humidity changes. So I expect some small changes in tuning as they acclimate to the room out of the case. I notice the neck and strings feel cool to the touch and then warm during play. Humidity and temp affect the neck and body as the wood expands, contracts, and bend/twist. Temp affects the length of the strings, height of saddles, and springs in a trem. All of these affect the tuning. I case each one with them in tune, and when taken out of the case some need minor tuning tweaks. After several minutes they need retuned, often going back to the setting when they were in the case. Feels like if I just played them before tuning they would go back in tune as they acclimate. I feel lucky when one comes out of the case in tune, and I don’t feel stress when having to tweak one here and there.
Hey there...first everybody thanks for indulging my Overreaction Sunday post! :) Yeah for sure, I mean I'm not expecting anything to come out of the case or bag and be perfectly in tune, some need more attention than others though & so far this is one of those although I aim to figure it out. Thanks for the reply!
Every issue with the DGT that you mentioned points back to a poorly cut nut, which is a very easy fix for a good tech or luthier.
Thanks, yes I'm going to take it in & have that looked at. A 16/G instead of the 17/G it came with seems to be hanging up less.
If it's a tuning issue, chase that down.
Chasing! Thanks.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

#594--THISISTHEWAY
:) I hear ya. This SE 594 really is a nice guitar.
If the strings are properly stretched and it's not going to far out of tune you might try lubing the nut and saddles. Assuming the slots are cut wide enough that may be enough.
Thanks for posting, yeah I'm going to figure this out.
Thanks all.

Back