Replace DGT pups with which under-wound PAFs

Chalky

Hello, I bought a DGT, beautiful build, but the pups are a tad too muddy (this was always a risk), and I want to replace them with low wound PAFs to get more clarity and bite to the transient in the low end - I play cleans mostly, and while I love the build and balance of DGT I need classic PAF, but under-wound, bordering on Tele in fact.
I’m guided toward Lollar imperial but has anyone done the same and did it make the DGT more responsive (less muddy) in the low strings and make it shout a bit more ( dynamic NOT pup output volume!)
Thanks in anticipation!

I have a great set of Marshallhead mk2 by Wolfetone in my PRS McC. I think they fit the bill you discribed nicely. Low output alnico V, so a little more snappy than Alnico 2s

There's this local chap named Jimmy Herring that has said he makes that very conversion to ALL his ( Lollar Imperials) I have 3 sets of Lollar's love em, .. I have a set of Custom Low wind Fralins that are delicious as well . He's s the one with the Gold top DGT

PS I would strongly suggest keeping the stock pickups tucked nicely in the case ... helps resale enormously .... I have set of BG low winds in my Single cut that have the best split sound I've ever heard , and full PAF the work very well .. he's real small have no idea his wait time.

Last edited:
How long have you had the DGT , because when I got mine it had Mira pickups in it and it was brighter and loved it as it was , recorded great etc.
Then I got a great deal on a set of DGT pickups and I returned it to stock , and at first I was not all in but the more I played it the more I got it , the splits do tele , keep the vol rolled back a bit on both pickups and keep the pickups set on the low side , such a responsive guitar give it some time and or an EQ pedal

Hello, I bought a DGT, beautiful build, but the pups are a tad too muddy (this was always a risk), and I want to replace them with low wound PAFs to get more clarity and bite to the transient in the low end - I play cleans mostly, and while I love the build and balance of DGT I need classic PAF, but under-wound, bordering on Tele in fact.
I’m guided toward Lollar imperial but has anyone done the same and did it make the DGT more responsive (less muddy) in the low strings and make it shout a bit more ( dynamic NOT pup output volume!)
Thanks in anticipation!
I don't have a DGT but I put some of these

Into my Satana SE and I think they sound alot better. Under-wound and sound amazing.

I don't find the DGT bridge muddy at all. It actually sounds alot like my overwound tele bridge pickup believe it or not. When I switch guitars I don't even have to touch the amp, they sound so similar.

The DGT neck was muddy for me. I for a brief minute thought about trying something else, because I couldn't see owning a $5000 guitar I wouldn't use the neck pickup on, but decided to put a "de-mud mod" on the neck pickup, it's basically a high-pass filter network, and now it's perfect. Clear but still sounds like a PAF. It's one capacitor and one resistor, wired in parallel, on the neck pickup's hot lead, between the pickup and it's volume control.

I had done this mod to other guitars before, so I had a good idea of the values I needed to use. I did try a few different values, but ended up with:

.0047uf + 220K

There's this local chap named Jimmy Herring that has said he makes that very conversion to ALL his ( Lollar Imperials) I have 3 sets of Lollar's love em, .. I have a set of Custom Low wind Fralins that are delicious as well . He's s the one with the Gold top DGT

PS I would strongly suggest keeping the stock pickups tucked nicely in the case ... helps resale enormously .... I have set of BG low winds in my Single cut that have the best split sound I've ever heard , and full PAF the work very well .. he's real small have no idea his wait time.
Sounds absolutely great.

Then I got a great deal on a set of DGT pickups and I returned it to stock , and at first I was not all in but the more I played it the more I got it , the splits do tele , keep the vol rolled back a bit on both pickups and keep the pickups set on the low side , such a responsive guitar give it some time and or an EQ pedal
This is where I am with the DGT pickups. I absolutely love them.

Of course, if a set of pickups doesn't work for someone, there are plenty out there to experiment with.

Those Lollar Imperials Herring's playing sound great.

I always cut my low end a little bit with a preamp pedal for every guitar and pickup, or simply pull back bass with the amp's controls, and use my volume and tone controls to control the amp. But everyone's got their thing, and more power to 'em!

Back