Replace DGT pups?

Chalky

I bought a DGT thinking it would be a go to “LP plus Tele (split coil) all in one” stage guitar, and although I love the design and playability of the instrument I find the pickups muddy and flubby, devoid of clarity - probably great for ZZ Top Texas stuff but not my preference.

My Les Paul is fitted with a Seymour Duncan JB on the bridge and Jazz on the neck, and my 336 has stuck Gibson ‘underwound’ PAF pups and these pretty much get me where I want to be… these not hot pups, somewhere approaching the middle I guess.

So naturally now I’m thinking of replacing the incumbent pups. Has anyone else done same, and is there any reason why not?

My DGT came with a set for Core Mira pickups , I have changed them back to DGT but there are times I wish for the Mira Pickups again , but they also sound great in my SCT :)
A brighter pickup would not sound bad at all in a DGT

Put a pair of OG Dragon 1’s in a DGT standard once and it was a hugely successful choice. All hog and the high output pups killed. For me.

Only you can choose what makes you want to pick up the guitar, don’t fear change, it is a solder joint away from putting them back if you don’t like the change.
I'd LOVE to hear what that sounds like!!!!!

I would try raising the pickups up a bit to see if that helps add some clarity. I had a PRS P22 that I didn't like the pickups in and thought they were too dark and muddy. I happened to notice that the pickups were pretty far away from the strings. I raised them up and it completely changed the tone. I actually got them too bright and had to lower them back down a touch.

I used the JB / Jazz combo for years .. it's all down to what makes your ears happy . Jimmy Herring replaces his with Lollar Imperials ..

I'd play with adjustment of the pickup height too. There's usually a sweet spot. You can also do slight turns on the pole pieces.

Nothing wrong with the JB/Jazz combo. Been a staple for a longtime.

A friend of mine modified his DGT with a splitable Bare Knuckle Abraxas. This turned his DGT to his first choice for everything from Jazz over Santana to Gary Moore. He described to voice as full, round, and warm - with enough bite/snappiness if required.

I would try raising the pickups up a bit to see if that helps add some clarity. I had a PRS P22 that I didn't like the pickups in and thought they were too dark and muddy. I happened to notice that the pickups were pretty far away from the strings. I raised them up and it completely changed the tone. I actually got them too bright and had to lower them back down a touch.
DGT pickups are known to be razor hot when desired. I’d adjust before extracting them.

I was scrolling thru this post, getting ready to post this same reply.
Install a set of PRS \m/ metals in that DGT and thank us later.
I have a Core DGT that I am thinking about installing \m/'s in.
I also have 5 Core O.G early 2000's Singlecut's, and a 6th on the way.
3 of those Singlecut's have \m/ bridge pickups, and 1 Singlecut has a full set of \m/'s installed.

I have JB & Jazz in my LP, and have certainly enjoyed that combination for decades … that might be an obvious option .. would they fit DGT (question to anyone who has replaced DGT pups)

Back