New pickup for my SC250

Caca_Spaniel_7606

I'm looking for a mid-high output pup for my PRS SC250.

The stock #7 (8.4k, Alnico mags) is an excellent match for the guitar... but I'm looking for something more aggressive and rude. Right now my guitar sounds a bit rounded, sweet and polite with that PRS mid quack.

Its really hard to explain, a hotrod of a hotrodded PAF would be the best way to put it.

Conventional high putput pups like the JB or a Duncan SH6 are off the list, it needs to somewhat retain the feel and sound of a PAF.

Basically I want an vintage-hot PAF but it doesn't have to be a PAF.. also could do with more output if you know what I mean. I was told the Suhr Aldrich falls into this category and I'm looking for more pups like this.

Currently I'm considering:

- Suhr Aldrich
- BKP Rebel Yell, Emerald, Cold Sweat
- Duncan Custom 5
- Friedman Triple D
- PRS Dragon II

So hopefully you get the idea.

My guitar sounds quite balanced unplugged, its essentially an LP built by PRS with a 25" scale length. Nice and fat with the right amount of chunk. It is a bit dark so need some "sparkle" and air from the pickups.

You know how people say the JB is too bright? I actually find it too dark as im it does not have that chime and sparkle of a PAF. This is the "brightness" I need.

Thanks in advance.

SC250’s came with SC250 pickups that were 15.42 treble and 8.0 bass. Hotter than the #7’s that were installed in the original Singlecut model.
Can you post a pic of your guitar? You might have an older Singlecut if there’s 7’s in it.

SC250’s came with SC250 pickups that were 15.42 treble and 8.0 bass. Hotter than the #7’s that were installed in the original Singlecut model.
Can you post a pic of your guitar? You might have an older Singlecut if there’s 7’s in it.
This!

Something along these lines came up a while back too. Apparently PRS used the SC250 truss rod cover on some singlecuts, but weren't the actual SC250 that we know?

No, not confusing at all! Thanks PRS! :)

What are the specs of the 59/09’s that everyone seems to be suggesting? It’s the only pickup set I haven’t had in any of my PRSes.. Specifically, how is the neck pickup? ( not trying to hijack your thread, and maybe the info would help us both out )

What are the specs of the 59/09’s that everyone seems to be suggesting? It’s the only pickup set I haven’t had in any of my PRSes.. Specifically, how is the neck pickup? ( not trying to hijack your thread, and maybe the info would help us both out )
Bridge 9.3 A2
Neck 8.4 A2

This!

Something along these lines came up a while back too. Apparently PRS used the SC250 truss rod cover on some singlecuts, but weren't the actual SC250 that we know?

No, not confusing at all! Thanks PRS! :)
It's a 2007 SC250 w/ #7 pickups.. a bit unusual.

The stock #7 (8.4k, Alnico mags) is an excellent match for the guitar... but I'm looking for something more aggressive and rude. Right now my guitar sounds a bit rounded, sweet and polite with that PRS mid quack.

Its really hard to explain, a hotrod of a hotrodded PAF would be the best way to put it.

Conventional high putput pups like the JB or a Duncan SH6 are off the list, it needs to somewhat retain the feel and sound of a PAF.

Basically I want an vintage-hot PAF but it doesn't have to be a PAF.. also could do with more output if you know what I mean. I was told the Suhr Aldrich falls into this category and I'm looking for more pups like this.

- Suhr Aldrich
- Duncan Custom 5
- Friedman Triple D
- PRS Dragon II

My guitar sounds quite balanced unplugged, its essentially an LP built by PRS with a 25" scale length. Nice and fat with the right amount of chunk. It is a bit dark so need some "sparkle" and air from the pickups.

You know how people say the JB is too bright? I actually find it too dark as im it does not have that chime and sparkle of a PAF. This is the "brightness" I need.

Thanks in advance.
I would immediately get a PRS "Mary Cries" pedal and put in in front of my line of pedals!! This pedal emulates the LA2A compressor but only compresses the high notes!! It will make yo sound huge and try some new overdrives ( I use The Duelist, Jetter Gold, Friedman BE-OD and that all go through a Lovepedal OD11!! The sound is monstrous and it's better to try effects that you can get rid of and trade if you don't like them instead of changing the pickups in your guitar because PRS designs the guitars with certain pickups like the PRS SE DGT which I recently got and LOVE!!! I also use a PRS Brent Mason Model (given to me by the band himself, who is a friend!! Just these 2 guitars and my effects gives me anything from sweet blues and Country tones to Godzilla Rock and Roll sounds that will make your ears bleed if you weren't mixing your sound hitting you in the face with your playback monitor or in-ear playback monitors!! But no matter what OD you have the Mary Cries is the key!!! Go check these pedals out at your local Guitar Center or if you are lucky enough the Sweetwater store!!! I would be interested to hear back what you think!!! Good Luck!!
PS
A good friend of mine who passed away a few years ago, Buddy Cage, from the New Riders of the Purple Sage who was a monster pedal steel player would also played with the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, in Europe a project with Derek Trucks and Sonny Landreth and a thousand other players taught me something I never forgot!! He said "Steve, its NEVER the guitar'!!

- Suhr Aldrich
- Duncan Custom 5
- Friedman Triple D
- PRS Dragon II

Thanks in advance.
And a pearly gates? Quite a rude PAF+ in my book

Back