Trem bar responsiveness - DGT SE vs. S2

stankbank

Hey friends!

Looking to get some insights here. I have an S2 24 and a DGT SE. Both are setup wonderfully - both have 10s, both have 4 springs in the trem block, etc. I tighten my trem arms to be about the same....now...

With my DGT SE, the bar is super responsive - little touches seem to give me wonderful 'touch' to make chords shimmer, etc. The same cannot be said for my S2. I find my S2 trem bar feels 'dead' in comparison. I cannot perform the same level of 'touch sensitivity' with it. It seems I have to push down more for the trem to respond in any meaningful way.

What factors would contribute to this?

Even though you have the same number of springs they can still be different. The springs have a tension spec to them. You can sometimes see a difference in how thick the coils are. One thing I would do is take one of the springs out of the guitar that feels stiff. You will have to adjust the trem claw screws a little when you take it out. That will give less spring tension to pull against when you move the trem.

Not all springs are created equal. There are five players on every basketball team. Welp. It would be nice if there were an easy way to test the spring tension on each spring so you'd have an objective comparison. Worth a Google.

Spring Issue. Swap Around And Find Out.

Back