Introduce yourself!

Hello! I am new to both PRS and this forum.

I bought my first PRS guitar yesterday and it should be delivered Saturday (SE CE 24 in Blood Orange). Been playing for 44 years and have tried several PRS guitars but never owned one. Can't wait to get started!

Welcome, and congrats!!! And don't mind all of the warnings you'll see about PRS addiction. I took me nearly TWO YEARS to go from zero PRS to 4 of them.

And when you get that geetar, be sure to post a NGD thread, and don't forget:

pics.gif

I wanted to introduce myself for a second (or maybe third) time. I signed up in 2014 here because of an SE purchase. I haven't been around much over the years. Being an SE owner, I would use the forum to look for answers to questions about modding etc.

Yesterday, I ordered my first core guitar.

Just a little background on me. When I was young, I was a bit of a screw up. I got booted from my mothers home, moved in with my father and that didn't go well either. I ended up in the legal system as a 14 year old, and then pretty much homeless for many years before I even turned 18. A lot of those years, I was following the Grateful Dead so "homeless" isn't completely the right term. After Jerry died, I went home to my mothers long enough to outstay myself there again and hit the road. I ended up in Boulder, Co and played a $hi!!y Crafter wanna-be Ovation on the outdoor mall for money every day.

One day, it was raining like crazy, so I went over to Robb's Music, a locally owned music store in Boulder. I saw my very first PRS in that store that day. I don't know what the model was, but it was this beautiful purple flamed maple top. I played it for the better part of an hour. I wanted that guitar so badly that I was trying to work out how to walk out of the store with it. Now, keep in mind that I wasn't much of a thief then, certainly not one now, and would never have really stolen a guitar under any circumstance anyway. Even if I did.. how would I even care for it, living on the streets?

I tell this story, to explain that the experience with that first PRS made me want to improve my situation in order to be able to pursue music more fully and to be able to own something so amazing. That summer I had found a way to get off of the streets.

Fast forward 26 years. I've owned Taylors, Ibanez Prestige models, American Strat's etc... and a few awesome PRES SE's. In fact my main guitar is a Custom 24 SE with a bunch of mods. But I could never quite pull the trigger on a core model because of the price.

Yesterday I purchased a 24-08 wood library. I had to jump through some hoops to convince the Mrs. why this is so important to me and why it's worth the money. With the purchase, I jumped back on the forum yesterday and thought I should re-introduce myself. Hoping that this 24-08 feels like the one and, if so, I'll post an NGD with pics sometime later this week.

I appreciate all of the help this forum has supplied in the past, and hope to be a better contributor moving forward.

~ James

I wanted to introduce myself for a second (or maybe third) time. I signed up in 2014 here because of an SE purchase. I haven't been around much over the years. Being an SE owner, I would use the forum to look for answers to questions about modding etc.

Yesterday, I ordered my first core guitar.

Just a little background on me. When I was young, I was a bit of a screw up. I got booted from my mothers home, moved in with my father and that didn't go well either. I ended up in the legal system as a 14 year old, and then pretty much homeless for many years before I even turned 18. A lot of those years, I was following the Grateful Dead so "homeless" isn't completely the right term. After Jerry died, I went home to my mothers long enough to outstay myself there again and hit the road. I ended up in Boulder, Co and played a $hi!!y Crafter wanna-be Ovation on the outdoor mall for money every day.

One day, it was raining like crazy, so I went over to Robb's Music, a locally owned music store in Boulder. I saw my very first PRS in that store that day. I don't know what the model was, but it was this beautiful purple flamed maple top. I played it for the better part of an hour. I wanted that guitar so badly that I was trying to work out how to walk out of the store with it. Now, keep in mind that I wasn't much of a thief then, certainly not one now, and would never have really stolen a guitar under any circumstance anyway. Even if I did.. how would I even care for it, living on the streets?

I tell this story, to explain that the experience with that first PRS made me want to improve my situation in order to be able to pursue music more fully and to be able to own something so amazing. That summer I had found a way to get off of the streets.

Fast forward 26 years. I've owned Taylors, Ibanez Prestige models, American Strat's etc... and a few awesome PRES SE's. In fact my main guitar is a Custom 24 SE with a bunch of mods. But I could never quite pull the trigger on a core model because of the price.

Yesterday I purchased a 24-08 wood library. I had to jump through some hoops to convince the Mrs. why this is so important to me and why it's worth the money. With the purchase, I jumped back on the forum yesterday and thought I should re-introduce myself. Hoping that this 24-08 feels like the one and, if so, I'll post an NGD with pics sometime later this week.

I appreciate all of the help this forum has supplied in the past, and hope to be a better contributor moving forward.

~ James
Congrats on the new core coming your way Tedder! I probably crossed your path at some dead shows in years gone by, glad you are in a more solid place now!! Awesome that you were able to get it all together!!! Private Stock is next (being that you skipped basic core and went WL) ;~))

Congrats on the new core coming your way Tedder! I probably crossed your path at some dead shows in years gone by, glad you are in a more solid place now!! Awesome that you were able to get it all together!!! Private Stock is next (being that you skipped basic core and went WL) ;~))
Thanks man! I did skip a level. Unless I hit the lottery, I doubt I have too many opportunities to shell out the $$ for more cores, so I figured I should go big the first time around, or face a divorce. ;)

Hello everyone!

I've recently going through what is probably best described as a midlife crisis that has taken the form of returning to making music. I played piano, guitar, and sang in choir in my younger days, but largely fell off after college.

A few years ago, I got a free keyboard and started reteaching myself piano. This year, I was able to buy a grand piano (6' 1" 1982 Kawai GS-30, almost as old as I am!). Then my son came home from school where he's playing percussions and mentioned that he's starting on the drum kit. "Well, I wonder how much a used set of drums can cost?" I started watching videos to see what we should buy, and decided that everyone playing drums looked they were having an absolute blast. So we bought some drums (spoiler: not the used cheap set I set out to get).

Then I figured, "hey, why not get back up to speed on guitar as well?" I had been lugging around a steel string and a nylon string for years without playing them. I got some new strings and started to play around on the steel string acoustic, but I just wasn't excited to play, so time for an electric!

I wasn't familiar with PRS from my time playing in the 1990s, but several of the more subdued models really spoke to me, and I grabbed an SE Starla for a great price recently.

IDi0nVU.jpg
SwW1uFb.jpg
LkEBj7V.jpg

It's been great to get reaquainted with guitar this way, and my son and I have even done a few jam sessions with him on the drums and me on guitar. I've started teaching him, so soon we can flip flop!

Thanks for the great community!

And please, don't show me any more instruments. My wallet can't take it. ;-)

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I've recently going through what is probably best described as a midlife crisis that has taken the form of returning to making music. I played piano, guitar, and sang in choir in my younger days, but largely fell off after college.

A few years ago, I got a free keyboard and started reteaching myself piano. This year, I was able to buy a grand piano (6' 1" 1982 Kawai GS-30, almost as old as I am!). Then my son came home from school where he's playing percussions and mentioned that he's starting on the drum kit. "Well, I wonder how much a used set of drums can cost?" I started watching videos to see what we should buy, and decided that everyone playing drums looked they were having an absolute blast. So we bought some drums (spoiler: not the used cheap set I set out to get).

Then I figured, "hey, why not get back up to speed on guitar as well?" I had been lugging around a steel string and a nylon string for years without playing them. I got some new strings and started to play around on the steel string acoustic, but I just wasn't excited to play, so time for an electric!

I wasn't familiar with PRS from my time playing in the 1990s, but several of the more subdued models really spoke to me, and I grabbed an SE Starla for a great price recently.

IDi0nVU.jpg
SwW1uFb.jpg
LkEBj7V.jpg

It's been great to get reaquainted with guitar this way, and my son and I have even done a few jam sessions with him on the drums and me on guitar. I've started teaching him, so soon we can flip flop!

Thanks for the great community!

And please, don't show me any more instruments. My wallet can't take it. ;-)
Fun story WSGosset and welcome to the forum! Solid new axe you got there, and as much as you don't want to hear it, there will be more!! Looking forward to hearing you and the son rockin' it out (you can post your musical bit in the Studio & Stage section here on the forum)!!!

Greetings from the People's Republic of Taxachusetts!

I have been an "AMERICAN ONLY" Fender Stratocaster fan since I was 12 and at one time I owned 37 of them. I'm 68 now and just purchased my first NON-AMERICAN guitar; a PRS SE SAS. Found a wicked good deal on Reverb and pulled the trigger. It arrives tomorrow. I've heard so many good things about this model that I had to try it.

Cheers

Bob

Greetings from the People's Republic of Taxachusetts!

I have been an "AMERICAN ONLY" Fender Stratocaster fan since I was 12 and at one time I owned 37 of them. I'm 68 now and just purchased my first NON-AMERICAN guitar; a PRS SE SAS. Found a wicked good deal on Reverb and pulled the trigger. It arrives tomorrow. I've heard so many good things about this model that I had to try it.

Cheers

Bob
Welcome Anchorsaweigh! Prepare to be addicted!! Looking forward to seeing you collect 37 PRSi, you will understand that you need them after you get your first ;~))

It's only polite to introduce ones self

And so I will.
I'll leave the name and job stuff for the sig.
I bought my first PRS used in 1988 or so, a Std24. I had heard of these, and got lucky enough to find one. Wish I still had it, but I sold it to buy a Super 400...
I play Klein guitars a lot. I have three. I know Lorenzo German pretty well. (Please, if you're one of his former customers, don't ask me to help you get your guitar that you ordered way back there, I have one on order too.). I try to keep my GAS disease under control, but guitars are tax write offs for me, so it's pretty easy to justify them.
After years of looking at them again, I bought a Hollowbody Spruce from Brian Meader when he was still at Washington Music Center near DC, three years ago. Then I bought a Studio from him last year. I love that too. It sounds different, and I like that. I want a P22.
I play jazz. Not much rock and roll. But I do like to get a variety of sounds from a guitar, and these do it.
I really admire PRSh's drive to make a really good instrument. I've never met him, but I'd like to. He seems to be just a bit obsessed about making things as good as he can, and I really like that.
My job is in the Maritime provinces of Canada, and there's not much available. I'd like to try one of the new amps, but there aren't any near me there.
Guitars are more fun than just about anything else.
I'm in.
Can someone tell me why I have to wait for my post to be approved?

Hello Everyone I am new to the forum,

I got my first USA PRS and i was hooked ever since. I was able to get a 1989 Custom 24 signature last year and I understood why the old ones were so special.

May I ask a question, is there an area in this forum where people buy or sell? I am also interested to know if anyone here has knowledge about the 2005 20th anniversary guitars.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learn the forum rules and meet like minded guitar players and collectors.

Welcome ChordCraftsman!
We all would love to see your 89 Siggy when you can post some pics.
Don’t forget about your avatar. You can put a pic in there at any time.;):)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone I am new to the forum,

I got my first USA PRS and i was hooked ever since. I was able to get a 1989 Custom 24 signature last year and I understood why the old ones were so special.

May I ask a question, is there an area in this forum where people buy or sell? I am also interested to know if anyone here has knowledge about the 2005 20th anniversary guitars.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learn the forum rules and meet like minded guitar players and collectors.
Welcome aboard ChordCraftsman! No buying/selling here on the forum, house rules!! I am sure someone will chime in on the 20th anniv stuff for you, but this would not be the thread for that. Do some searches on the models you are interested in and you will find some threads on that stuff. Then post continuing questions there after you have reviewed available material!!! Happy New Year ;~)) Looking forward to the pix of that fine axe (in a NGD or NOGD thread, not here)!

Back