I Buy Stupid Crap

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Yeah, it feels weird to title a thread that on a PRS board, but it's true - every now and then I buy something stupid. Not because it's practical, or necessary, or even a piece of art no matter how loosely you want to define the term.

Sometimes, something just strikes my stupidly cool and I buy it. And Black Friday is a bad time for that kind of thing, which is partially why I ended up buying a Paul Stanley USB drive at 3 AM over that weekend.

But that's not what I'm talking about.

This is...

kissjournal.jpg

A lighted Kiss journal. A frigging lighted Kiss journal.

I have no need for one. I didn't even tell my wife about it for several hours. And when I got a notification that it was delivered and the package wasn't here, I wasn't really all that disappointed. But it ended up that they delivered it to the wrong house - the woman who got it brought it over a couple days later when she found it. And when I pulled it out and my wife said, "Why did you buy this?", I just clicked the button, and we saw it for the first time together, and SHE was the one who said, "Oh, that's cool!"

I even did a video with some added sound for effect - https://www.instagram.com/p/-xIBHDHo9e/

There's no reason for this to exist, but... :rock::rock::rock::rock:

I've always felt a little funny about the SS runes in the Kiss logo. This despite the fact that one of the band members is Israeli.

You are not alone. I'm cornball in the same way. I splurged for a set of Rush bobble heads, and I would totally buy that KISS book!

Last edited:
I've always felt a little funny about the SS runes in the Kiss logo. This despite the fact that one of the band members is Israeli.

Actually, Paul and Gene are both Jewish. But you're right, as much as I have always loved KISS, that does creep me out a little

Actually, Paul and Gene are both Jewish. But you're right, as much as I have always loved KISS, that does creep me out a little

I was too old to appreciate the Kiss phenomenon, so there's that.

I just pictured them both in their Kiss outfits auditioning for a Klezmer band. Heh.

I grew up in the kiss era and I still like some of their material.

I borrowed a kiss DVD from my brother a few years back and let my son watch it when he was 8 years old. My son is still a kiss fan. I love it!

In the mid 70's I'd been into The Stones and Zepplin, and I was just getting into Springsteen. I didn't get Kiss at all. But, looking back, they came up with some really memorable riffs. So, let your freak flag fly. Put that sucker up on your mantle and let it shine throughout the holidays. Enjoy :D

Loved Kiss...found first 5 albums on CD at Wally mart...$5 each...had to do it!! I save STUPID STUFF...I have chunks of concrete from the Capitol Centre, Civic Center, and Verizon Center in DC...the latter two as demo work was being done for upgrades. And part of the asphalt from Cap Centre lot...Heavy Metal Parking Lot, dude!!

Loved Kiss...found first 5 albums on CD at Wally mart...$5 each...had to do it!! I save STUPID STUFF...I have chunks of concrete from the Capitol Centre, Civic Center, and Verizon Center in DC...the latter two as demo work was being done for upgrades. And part of the asphalt from Cap Centre lot...Heavy Metal Parking Lot, dude!!

I have a brick from Chicago Stadium, and some Christmas ornaments from the Civic Arena roof in Pittsburgh. And a pair of seats from there. Since I was there several times, the Cap Centre stuff is cool to me - I kind of liked that place.

I have a brick from Chicago Stadium, and some Christmas ornaments from the Civic Arena roof in Pittsburgh. And a pair of seats from there. Since I was there several times, the Cap Centre stuff is cool to me - I kind of liked that place.

I loved the Cap Centre...used to love when you saw that white roof through the trees off 495.
Most of my money earned as a teen went there...I think I helped by Geddy Lee his house...

I used to hate KISS back when they were really popular. I just thought they looked so lame, I couldn't even bother to listen. Years later, I've come to really appreciate some of their tunes. I love jamming out to Love Gun and Detroit Rock City.

I wholeheartedly agree that with having Holocaust Survivors for parents, it's rather odd that Gene is okay with the Nazi SS in their logo. I guess some folks will do anything for money. I do seem to remember reading that they're supposed to be lightning bolts. But whatever...

I did meet Paul Stanley 8 or 10 years ago, back when I flew for a different airline. I chatted with him for a minute or two. I must say, I was rather surprised. He didn't come off as a big time rock star, just a friendly, cool guy. I liked him.

Perhaps Gene and Paul use the Runes as a big middle finger for some political types that exist to this day... or maybe I don't know and just think their logo has made them bafuddlingzillions of dollars...;-)

Back