HX/DA INFO (and my NAD 50 W Head(s)) Share your HXDA knowledge with the world!

Apologies, but I was at a loss of where else to post this little gem. Yes Les I’m sure you watched this live!;)

You bet. TV talk show appearances were rare for Hendrix.

I love that he felt he needed to be close to the mic, like when he recorded vocals in the studio. That alone is interesting.

Of course TV talk show appearances are even more rare for me than they were for Hendrix. :)

"Because you were never on a TV talk show."

"Actually I was, back in the early '80s. It was a local PBS lawyer talk and call-in show."

"That's not a talk show."

"Well, it was a show, and I talked. Does that work for ya?"

"Not really."

NCD

New cabinet day! I’ve been using my black HXDA 50 head with a 2x12 cabinet on some recent jams, and it sounded great. For simplicity and quick set up, I thought a combo would be nice but found zero vacant 2x12 HXDA cabs laying around. I was, however, able to come up with a 1x12 empty HXDA cab, so I grabbed it. I moved the head to the cab, then mounted a Mesa T4335 V30 as I had it in the closet from some long-forgotten speaker swap. That Mesa-version speaker sounds great with the HXDA and because it’s a vented back, doesn’t sound small and boxy like some combos can.

Although it looked cool, I removed the cloth from the back baffle. Easier to just put the power cord in there.

I’m really happy with the conversion, and looking forward to using it in a few weeks on the next get-together.

PfErM50.jpg

0kSsbwA.jpg

NCD

New cabinet day! I’ve been using my black HXDA 50 head with a 2x12 cabinet on some recent jams, and it sounded great. For simplicity and quick set up, I thought a combo would be nice but found zero vacant 2x12 HXDA cabs laying around. I was, however, able to come up with a 1x12 empty HXDA cab, so I grabbed it. I moved the head to the cab, then mounted a Mesa T4335 V30 as I had it in the closet from some long-forgotten speaker swap. That Mesa-version speaker sounds great with the HXDA and because it’s a vented back, doesn’t sound small and boxy like some combos can.

Although it looked cool, I removed the cloth from the back baffle. Easier to just put the power cord in there.

I’m really happy with the conversion, and looking forward to using it in a few weeks on the next get-together.

PfErM50.jpg

0kSsbwA.jpg
Nice!

NCD

PfErM50.jpg

0kSsbwA.jpg

Nice work Rick!

NCD

PfErM50.jpg

0kSsbwA.jpg

You did a superb job with that. Did you install a custom cable for it, or is that the stock one that comes on the HXDA combos?

You did a superb job with that. Did you install a custom cable for it, or is that the stock one that comes on the HXDA combos?
Hey Les :) It's a Monster speaker cable I picked up from Amazon. I didn't have any angle connectors to make one, so I went the lazy route. Cable prices are silly high, but it's a once and done solution so I don't mind too much.

Man, I have been playing this thing all afternoon with the 594 HB, and it is the most smile-inducing sound! It's really making me regret not getting that 2x12 paisley 50 watt I missed on Reverb last year. Wherever it ended up, there has to be one happy owner!

The 1x12 combo sounds really, really nice.

Dang! I'm glad I didn't see that when it was still available...:eek:
Makes me wanna cry every time I look at it. I snoozed and missed out! :oops: Not like I can complain, though... I did end up with two of the head versions and converted one to a combo! But the 2x12, I have found, is the rare bird of the family, in any wattage.

Speaking of 30 watters, here is another thread I ran into that was very informative. This is from @LSchefman back in 2015, sharing a comparison between the 30 and 50 in a variety of open and closed back cabs. Great info for those who have, or want, a HXDA.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/hxda-30-compared-to-hxda-50.13808/

Last edited:
Makes me wanna cry every time I look at it. :oops: I snoozed and missed out! Not like I can complain, though... I did end up with two of the head versions and converted one to a combo! But the 2x12, I have found, is the rare bird of the family, in any wattage.

Speaking of 30 watters, here is another thread I ran into that was very informative. This is from @LSchefman back in 2015, sharing a comparison between the 30 and 15 in a variety of open and closed back cabs. Great info for those who have, or want, a HXDA.

Oh...Les was a great reference when I first got mine!

Makes me wanna cry every time I look at it. :oops: I snoozed and missed out! Not like I can complain, though... I did end up with two of the head versions and converted one to a combo! But the 2x12, I have found, is the rare bird of the family, in any wattage.

Speaking of 30 watters, here is another thread I ran into that was very informative. This is from @LSchefman back in 2015, sharing a comparison between the 30 and 15 in a variety of open and closed back cabs. Great info for those who have, or want, a HXDA.

That was supposed to say “comparison between the 30 and 50” but I apparently got distracted, and I’m getting the dreaded error that the server isn’t allowing edits today.

Update: Fixed, it was the dreaded “smiley” error!

Last edited:
Hey Les :) It's a Monster speaker cable I picked up from Amazon. I didn't have any angle connectors to make one, so I went the lazy route. Cable prices are silly high, but it's a once and done solution so I don't mind too much.

It's a great solution, making cables is a least-loved activity around here; I even order custom cables for my pedalboards these days. I used to make them, but...yeah. No longer. ;)

Back