HX/DA INFO (and my NAD 50 W Head(s)) Share your HXDA knowledge with the world!

Addendum time:

Although I love my tube amps most of you know I’ve been gigging Fractal Audio Systems gear since 2011. Yesterday, due to a variety of reasons, I decided to go with an amp and a couple of pedals in a full band situation for the first time in a decade. And it was fun. Really fun. Simple setup... McCarty HB I to Xotic EP-1 to old Visual Sound chorus/echo to HX/DA into a 2x12 Greenback cab. The music was mostly 70s-80s classic rock, blues, and a few country tunes.

Getting set to go was a breeze, controlling clean and drive the old school way... volume knob on the guitar. To complete the uncomplicated vibe, both pedals were running on batteries. Ok, high output rechargeables, but it felt vintage. :)

While the other guitar player and I have played together for years, but it was my first time with the rest of the band (sort of auditioning me to replace another player). I don’t normally use a new rig on auditions, but I’ve been playing the HX/DAs at home a lot, so it didn’t feel completely adventurous.

Straight into the music, unexpectedly a Little Texas country tune with a solo for me in the middle, the rig responded like a champ. On through nearly 4 hours of playing, the tone just fit into everything. And, man, does it stand up and cut through when needed! Even the other guitarist, who is very well acquainted with my playing, came over to look and commented on how awesome and clear the tone was.

So, most of my commentary here was on home or recording uses, but I have confirmed the HX/DA is a versatile beast of an amp at gig volume in band situations. It fits right in or jumps out front with authority with the flick of a volume knob or a touch of clean boost from the EP, and the quality of tone is outstanding. Definitely an elite level amp. By the way, this was my first HX/DA (the black one) with the Siemens tubes... I’ve got to get more of those for my other HX/DA. They just killed it.

Addendum time:

Although I love my tube amps most of you know I’ve been gigging Fractal Audio Systems gear since 2011. Yesterday, due to a variety of reasons, I decided to go with an amp and a couple of pedals in a full band situation for the first time in a decade. And it was fun. Really fun. Simple setup... McCarty HB I to Xotic EP-1 to old Visual Sound chorus/echo to HX/DA into a 2x12 Greenback cab. The music was mostly 70s-80s classic rock, blues, and a few country tunes.

Getting set to go was a breeze, controlling clean and drive the old school way... volume knob on the guitar. To complete the uncomplicated vibe, both pedals were running on batteries. Ok, high output rechargeables, but it felt vintage. :)

While the other guitar player and I have played together for years, but it was my first time with the rest of the band (sort of auditioning me to replace another player). I don’t normally use a new rig on auditions, but I’ve been playing the HX/DAs at home a lot, so it didn’t feel completely adventurous.

Straight into the music, unexpectedly a Little Texas country tune with a solo for me in the middle, the rig responded like a champ. On through nearly 4 hours of playing, the tone just fit into everything. And, man, does it stand up and cut through when needed! Even the other guitarist, who is very well acquainted with my playing, came over to look and commented on how awesome and clear the tone was.

So, most of my commentary here was on home or recording uses, but I have confirmed the HX/DA is a versatile beast of an amp at gig volume in band situations. It fits right in or jumps out front with authority with the flick of a volume knob or a touch of clean boost from the EP, and the quality of tone is outstanding. Definitely an elite level amp. By the way, this was my first HX/DA (the black one) with the Siemens tubes... I’ve got to get more of those for my other HX/DA. They just killed it.

Very sweet! I just hooked up my HX/DA to a newly-purchased Fryette Power Station (PS2 v2) over the weekend and my God, what a sweet tone getting it into the upper registers of the volume knob.
Is your HX/DA the 30, 50 or 100w version? (Mine is the 30w...it's a 2x12 with twin Greenbacks)

Very sweet! I just hooked up my HX/DA to a newly-purchased Fryette Power Station (PS2 v2) over the weekend and my God, what a sweet tone getting it into the upper registers of the volume knob.
Is your HX/DA the 30, 50 or 100w version? (Mine is the 30w...it's a 2x12 with twin Greenbacks)
I have two heads, both 50 watt versions. I have two cabs, one with the Greenbacks and one with Vintage 30s. Those HXDAs sound good with anything!

Addendum time:

Great that it was such a nice experience!

I love the Siemens tubes in my HXDA. The tight bass means less mud, and really allows the midrange to cut.

Great that it was such a nice experience!

I love the Siemens tubes in my HXDA. The tight bass means less mud, and really allows the midrange to cut.

Dang, I was just going to pick up a matched set based on your recommendation, but then saw this disclaimer. Do you know if this is true for the 30w HX/DA?

Please note:
These tubes are not recommended for use in amps with plate voltages over 450 volts.

I don't want to screw anything up with my beloved HX/DA!

Awesome recommendation...thank for that. That's one tube brand I've actually never tried! I'm going to have to look for a set now.
They’ve become my faves in the HXDA, and I’m adding a set to my second one. You can find some Siemens branded ones, and Mesa still has some STR-450 tubes that are NOS Siemens. Not cheap, but then what is these days!

i haven’t measured the plate voltages but don’t think they’re that high. The Siemens branded set I have has quite a few hours on with no ill effects.

They’ve become my faves in the HXDA, and I’m adding a set to my second one. You can find some Siemens branded ones, and Mesa still has some STR-450 tubes that are NOS Siemens. Not cheap, but then what is these days!

i haven’t measured the plate voltages but don’t think they’re that high. The Siemens branded set I have has quite a few hours on with no ill effects.
Awesome and thanks much! Picking up a set... that's exactly where I was looking!

Dang, I was just going to pick up a matched set based on your recommendation, but then saw this disclaimer. Do you know if this is true for the 30w HX/DA?

Please note:
These tubes are not recommended for use in amps with plate voltages over 450 volts.

I don't want to screw anything up with my beloved HX/DA!

I actually got the recommendation a few years ago from Doug Sewell, who designed the amp.

I've been using them for at few years with no ill-effects. In fact, I bought 4 matched sets as spares, and will probably get more.

I added a Mesa STR-450 set to HXDA #2, and they sound great! This particular set didn’t bias as exactly matching as the Siemens branded set I have, so I called Mesa to verify and they confirmed that the ~2 mA variation between them was within range for a matched set. I just set the bias where the midpoint between them was 30, and it sounds right.

Like Les, I’ll probably be adding a couple more sets to the tube stash as backups. Maybe one day I’ll open a tube store in my old age. :D

I added a Mesa STR-450 set to HXDA #2, and they sound great! This particular set didn’t bias as exactly matching as the Siemens branded set I have, so I called Mesa to verify and they confirmed that the ~2 mA variation between them was within range for a matched set. I just set the bias where the midpoint between them was 30, and it sounds right.

Like Les, I’ll probably be adding a couple more sets to the tube stash as backups. Maybe one day I’ll open a tube store in my old age. :D
I thought you guys were already old? :p:p:p

I thought you guys were already old? :p:p:p

Hey! I dunno about Rick, but I just lost ten whole frickin' pounds and look like a...hmmm...man of indeterminable age!

I look so awesome that grandma types are literally throwing their panties...er, I mean their Depends...on stage when I play shows!

"You haven't played a show in what, a decade or more?"

"STFU. I'm on a roll here."

:D
Hey! I dunno about Rick, but I just lost ten whole frickin' pounds and look like a...hmmm...man of indeterminable age!

I look so awesome that grandma types are literally throwing their panties...er, I mean their Depends...on stage when I play shows!

"You haven't played a show in what, a decade or more?"

"STFU. I'm on a roll here."
:D

And when they do, it looks like the paratrooper invasion in Red Dawn!

893e224613cb960af1371a877d95846a--dawn.jpg

Back