HX/DA INFO (and my NAD 50 W Head(s)) Share your HXDA knowledge with the world!

Yes, I did it. Another 50 Watt HX/DA is in the Band Cave. Paisley and hardwood this time... that's variety, right?

"How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." Yngwie J. Malmsteen

JhVcbR2.jpg

You're making me want a backup, dang it!

Here's a copy/paste of a tone report I posted on 13 February 2013.

TL/DR: I had my hand-signed (notice there is no logo plate on the front of the amp or cab) and numbered (77 of 100) 25th Anniversary amp converted to the HX/DA circuit when they were first making their appearance. Results were excellent. If the DA setting is like a fine red wine that is best appreciated by educated pallets, the HX is a flaming shot of tequila from the navel of a stripper named Dominica.

--- long version below ---

The Story
I sent my 25th Anniversary amp back to Mr. Doug Sewell (one of the nicest guys on the planet, by the way) because a capacitor had become mechanically disconnected (probably during shipping) and the amp was not getting filtered on the screens/phase inverter. Turns out the ground wire to those caps had come off. This was the source of some ghost notes (not good) along with some really fantastic overtones (very good). It was an odd trade-off and I was a little worried to "fix" the amp and risk losing those overtones. Doug made the repair under warranty and then installed the HX/DA switches per my request. I told Doug that I loved the stock tone of the 25th Anniversary amp so he adjusted the HX/DA switches a bit from the production models so that in the HX positions I would still have my original, pristine, 25th Anniversary tone. The only variance in the HX mode on my amp (from a production HX/DA) is that mine retains .022 uF coupling caps in the phase inverter where a production HXDA is .1 uF. Don't ask me how that translates to tone - I have no idea. The DA positions, however, take the amp into production component values for that setting.

General Comments about the Amp
If you've never played a 25th or HX/DA, its hard to grasp just how versatile they really are. The Treble and Bass gain knobs have a dramatic impact on tone but not necessarily the volume. There is a master volume that does a good job of keeping the tone consistent across the spectrum but I confess - the lowest setting is anemic compared to the next one up - which is a little too loud for home use (but I do it anyway). The full power mode is best reserved for stadiums. In the 9-o-clock position of both knobs, this thing is really clean, full, and tight. I can get some funky/spanky cleans on the neck single-coil and it sounds fantastic. Crank the Treble knob to 12 o'clock (with bass still at 9) and I have decidedly rock-oriented tone. By the time I hit 3 o'clock with the treble gain knob (and bass still at 9), this amp transforms into a #$%^&* flame-thrower.

The guitar I'm playing obviously has a notable impact on tone but there are some general comments I feel safe making:
1) This is a fantastic amp for clean tones with a sing-coil pup. It is warm, punchy, and chimes quite nicely.
2) If you're after hard-rocking crunch with a fat/tight bottom end, this amp will get you there too.
3) It's pretty easy to find an amp setting that allows me to get both 1 & 2 (above) by using the volume knob, tone knob, and pickups selector on my guitar

Stock 25th Anniversary vs. the HX/DA Mod
Since I have the king of clean (a '64 Twin Reverb), I don't spend much time playing with the clean settings on this amp. If you're curious about the differences between HX and DA in clean mode, I couldn't tell you. Not yet anyway. I also didn't experiment with different combinations of switches. I'll get to it eventually but this tone report is focused on the dirty side of things. What I want from this amp is a hard-rocker that I can clean up with the volume knob (Think "Monkey Business" from Skid Row). And... I don't want to have to use pedals to get there. The HX mode does this without ever breaking a sweat. In fact, I turned on Monkey Business after typing that comment (listening to it now) and it sounds very much like this amp in HX mode. It offers searing lead tones with saturated tube shimmer for days. It is not muddy in any way and it serves up plenty of woof on the low end - which probably has a lot to do with the sealed 2 X 12 cab I'm using.

The DA setting, however, is notably more complex with less brightness. It's warmer, fuller, with more 'air' in the tone. It's nuanced - but not delicate - with a wider range of emotions - not quite as 'balls out' when compared to the HX. When I switch all three toggles from HX to DA, it's like I turned down the presence knob and added back in a whole new range of overtones. The DA setting is quite saturated so I tended to use it for soloing on backing tracks where the HX mode was more fun playing chunky rhythm parts. I'll be curious how changing guitars impacts that last comment. I'd like to spend some time trading out guitars to get a feel for the DA setting so I can be more specific but if I was in a classic rock band, this is probably the mode I would use. But an AC/DC, Van Halen, or even Skid Row cover band? HX mode. No question about it. If the DA setting is like a fine red wine that is best appreciated by educated pallets, the HX is a flaming shot of tequila from the navel of a stripper named Dominica.

The Verdict
My favorite guitar tone comes from an EF86/EL84 amp like an old Vox AC15, Bad Cat TremCat 30, or Matchless C-30 or Cobra. If that's the tone you're after, this is not your amp. But if you are looking for something that gives you Plexi, Marshall Super Bass, and JCM800 tone in a single (and probably more reliable) package, the HX/DA is a slam dunk.

i-pBFffX9.jpg

i-t7h5WVm-X2.jpg

If the DA setting is like a fine red wine that is best appreciated by educated pallets, the HX is a flaming shot of tequila from the navel of a stripper named Dominica.
That’s a classic description, Hans! PRSh needs to borrow that for the advert when V2 comes out, the HX/DA/EVH... with the AC power control added. :eek:

It’s only fair, Les! You put the DG30 on my “to-do” list, mi amigo!

Thing is, my HXDA has lived in my studio for all but one session since 2014. I doubt anything would happen to it! But backups are a peace of mind thing, right?

Thing is, my HXDA has lived in my studio for all but one session since 2014. I doubt anything would happen to it! But backups are a peace of mind thing, right?
Really it was more a chance to buy a cool version of a great amp! I seriously doubt an amp built like this would be likely to fail in normal use, but would have two if I was still gigging on the road. Just good business there! I may sell one and get a DG30 or AC30TB, but couldn't make myself pass on the wood and paisley. It's so... PRS.

The HXDA is among a small group of amps in the many, many I've used that 100% lived up to its billing. It has joined the ranks of the "always going to have one available" amps in the arsenal. :cool:

Last edited:
Really it was more a chance to buy a cool version of a great amp! I seriously doubt an amp built like this would be likely to fail in normal use, but would have two if I was still gigging on the road. Just good business there! I may sell one and get a DG30 or AC30TB, but couldn't make myself pass on the wood and paisley. It's so... PRS.

The HXDA is among a small group of amps in the many, many I've used that 100% lived up to its billing. It has joined the ranks of the "always going to have one available" amps in the arsenal. :cool:

It's been my #1 amp since the day it arrived. I've cut a lot of ad tracks with it, all were well-received. For whatever reasons, it records extremely well (it's a very forgiving amp), and clients have never said, "Nah" about its tone. If it was a person, I'd have shared my royalty checks with it!! ;)

It's been my #1 amp since the day it arrived. I've cut a lot of ad tracks with it, all were well-received. For whatever reasons, it records extremely well (it's a very forgiving amp), and clients have never said, "Nah" about its tone. If it was a person, I'd have shared my royalty checks with it!! ;)
I’m finding many more useful tones than just the raging drive sound I loved so much when I first got it (and still love, btw). Some of the less overdriven sounds are positively inspiring to play, and there is always this feeling of force and authority behind it. I’m beginning to better understand how so many sounds, including cleans, were coaxed from Plexis over the decades.

I’m finding many more useful tones than just the raging drive sound I loved so much when I first got it (and still love, btw). Some of the less overdriven sounds are positively inspiring to play, and there is always this feeling of force and authority behind it. I’m beginning to better understand how so many sounds, including cleans, were coaxed from Plexis over the decades.

Yes! It's an amazing piece of gear!

Les, do I remember this correctly? I think you said you had or tried a 50 watt version and felt the 30 was much easier to tame. Did you say that a while back? Or did I dream it? LOL.

Did Les and Howie ever release their Christmas album? Or did I just dream it?!

Imagine all that knitwear and pipe tobacco!!!
Les said I needed to take some more lessons and come back later. He did get me all smoked up before sending me home though, so all was not lost. Well, all was not, but I was. Couldn't find my way home. I think even the google got a buzz that day, as it wasn't much help and just kept showing me funny memes and a couple pictures of Julie Bowen.

Les said I needed to take some more lessons and come back later. He did get me all smoked up before sending me home though, so all was not lost. Well, all was not, but I was. Couldn't find my way home. I think even the google got a buzz that day, as it wasn't much help and just kept showing me funny memes and a couple pictures of Julie Bowen.
Smiling and drooling is OK sometimes...
Just sometimes!

Yup, I had the 50W version as well as my current 30W version. Both are great. My 50 was a little fuller in the bass, and that made it sound a little creamier in some ways. I'm sorry I sold it; it would have been cool to have both.

I need a bit less master volume with the 30, though either way I like to record pretty loud. Still, the amp tends to open up with the master set high, so the 30 works well for me. If I did tons of outside sessions, or played out live, I'd have both.

Yup, I had the 50W version as well as my current 30W version. Both are great. My 50 was a little fuller in the bass, and that made it sound a little creamier in some ways. I'm sorry I sold it; it would have been cool to have both.

I need a bit less master volume with the 30, though either way I like to record pretty loud. Still, the amp tends to open up with the master set high, so the 30 works well for me. If I did tons of outside sessions, or played out live, I'd have both.
Thank you sir. I was sure I remember you saying that you had a 50 as well and that the 30 was a bit easier to tame.

That price is hard to pass up though...

Here's a copy/paste of a tone report I posted on 13 February 2013.

TL/DR: I had my hand-signed (notice there is no logo plate on the front of the amp or cab) and numbered (77 of 100) 25th Anniversary amp converted to the HX/DA circuit when they were first making their appearance. Results were excellent. If the DA setting is like a fine red wine that is best appreciated by educated pallets, the HX is a flaming shot of tequila from the navel of a stripper named Dominica.

--- long version below ---

The Story
I sent my 25th Anniversary amp back to Mr. Doug Sewell (one of the nicest guys on the planet, by the way) because a capacitor had become mechanically disconnected (probably during shipping) and the amp was not getting filtered on the screens/phase inverter. Turns out the ground wire to those caps had come off. This was the source of some ghost notes (not good) along with some really fantastic overtones (very good). It was an odd trade-off and I was a little worried to "fix" the amp and risk losing those overtones. Doug made the repair under warranty and then installed the HX/DA switches per my request. I told Doug that I loved the stock tone of the 25th Anniversary amp so he adjusted the HX/DA switches a bit from the production models so that in the HX positions I would still have my original, pristine, 25th Anniversary tone. The only variance in the HX mode on my amp (from a production HX/DA) is that mine retains .022 uF coupling caps in the phase inverter where a production HXDA is .1 uF. Don't ask me how that translates to tone - I have no idea. The DA positions, however, take the amp into production component values for that setting.

General Comments about the Amp
If you've never played a 25th or HX/DA, its hard to grasp just how versatile they really are. The Treble and Bass gain knobs have a dramatic impact on tone but not necessarily the volume. There is a master volume that does a good job of keeping the tone consistent across the spectrum but I confess - the lowest setting is anemic compared to the next one up - which is a little too loud for home use (but I do it anyway). The full power mode is best reserved for stadiums. In the 9-o-clock position of both knobs, this thing is really clean, full, and tight. I can get some funky/spanky cleans on the neck single-coil and it sounds fantastic. Crank the Treble knob to 12 o'clock (with bass still at 9) and I have decidedly rock-oriented tone. By the time I hit 3 o'clock with the treble gain knob (and bass still at 9), this amp transforms into a #$%^&* flame-thrower.

The guitar I'm playing obviously has a notable impact on tone but there are some general comments I feel safe making:
1) This is a fantastic amp for clean tones with a sing-coil pup. It is warm, punchy, and chimes quite nicely.
2) If you're after hard-rocking crunch with a fat/tight bottom end, this amp will get you there too.
3) It's pretty easy to find an amp setting that allows me to get both 1 & 2 (above) by using the volume knob, tone knob, and pickups selector on my guitar

Stock 25th Anniversary vs. the HX/DA Mod
Since I have the king of clean (a '64 Twin Reverb), I don't spend much time playing with the clean settings on this amp. If you're curious about the differences between HX and DA in clean mode, I couldn't tell you. Not yet anyway. I also didn't experiment with different combinations of switches. I'll get to it eventually but this tone report is focused on the dirty side of things. What I want from this amp is a hard-rocker that I can clean up with the volume knob (Think "Monkey Business" from Skid Row). And... I don't want to have to use pedals to get there. The HX mode does this without ever breaking a sweat. In fact, I turned on Monkey Business after typing that comment (listening to it now) and it sounds very much like this amp in HX mode. It offers searing lead tones with saturated tube shimmer for days. It is not muddy in any way and it serves up plenty of woof on the low end - which probably has a lot to do with the sealed 2 X 12 cab I'm using.

The DA setting, however, is notably more complex with less brightness. It's warmer, fuller, with more 'air' in the tone. It's nuanced - but not delicate - with a wider range of emotions - not quite as 'balls out' when compared to the HX. When I switch all three toggles from HX to DA, it's like I turned down the presence knob and added back in a whole new range of overtones. The DA setting is quite saturated so I tended to use it for soloing on backing tracks where the HX mode was more fun playing chunky rhythm parts. I'll be curious how changing guitars impacts that last comment. I'd like to spend some time trading out guitars to get a feel for the DA setting so I can be more specific but if I was in a classic rock band, this is probably the mode I would use. But an AC/DC, Van Halen, or even Skid Row cover band? HX mode. No question about it. If the DA setting is like a fine red wine that is best appreciated by educated pallets, the HX is a flaming shot of tequila from the navel of a stripper named Dominica.

The Verdict
My favorite guitar tone comes from an EF86/EL84 amp like an old Vox AC15, Bad Cat TremCat 30, or Matchless C-30 or Cobra. If that's the tone you're after, this is not your amp. But if you are looking for something that gives you Plexi, Marshall Super Bass, and JCM800 tone in a single (and probably more reliable) package, the HX/DA is a slam dunk.

i-pBFffX9.jpg

i-t7h5WVm-X2.jpg
daaaang that's beautiful.

Back