How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

All of mine are modified in one way or another, at this point.
For the most part, changes I've made aren't that intensive and whatnot- the main thing in all of mine have been using Bare Knuckle pickups of some variety (ie- C-bombs, Painkillers, Miracle Man, H-Diver, and Brute Force pickups). I also had my first one, a Scarlet Red CE-24 refinished, repaired, restored after a rough life of getting thrashed around over the years; it's a sentimental guitar to me so why not have it all nice and patched up:

18953347_10212826745766383_4954938109261306806_o.jpg

I’d be concerned that they think it was your last birthday!

Well perhaps they think that it might be my last birthday, and perhaps it is IDK. But if it is their thinking, why didn’t they buy me the Ferrari instead of locking tuners for my PRS SE? They will inherent it all. What would you rather inherent? A Ferrari or some locking tuners?

Every single one. More broadly every single guitar, instrument, car, computer, gun, or other hobby item I’ve ever owned. I’m a natural tinkerer and can’t resist thinking about how to improve or customize things.

On the topic of PRS, they’ve mostly only been subjected to electronics and setup modifications. The P22 in particular has worn nearly every set of pickups PRS makes and been ground up rewired for different control layouts several times.

Just finished modding my A60E bridge pins. Bit of a bear when the g-string pin shot across the room and I couldn't find it. Determination followed. Success eventually.

huh? What was wrong with it? I've wanted to try one of those for ever.

It looked like a Schecter. If I was paying SE prices, I would probably been able to overlook it. The finish was dark. The top was horrible. The birds looked silk-screened. For $2499 I want an OFR not a Floyd Rose 1000 (even though it works fine). The bridge felt like it had machie oil on it and I couldn't get it off. The satin finish was sticky.

Mine was one of the Limited models.

Once I had it repainted and bought new hardware it was totally fine. Sold it to fund the MEV.

A few changed from rotary to McCarty switching, a Mann bridge, heavier strings and low tunings, a couple ebony tuner buttons, and many TRC changes.
Nothing crazy.

I had installed a Duncan JB in the bridge position of my 594DC (It came with a 57/08 there from the factory - wood library build), but I just changed it back to stock a couple weeks ago.

I have 57/08s in two of the PRS guitars that I own. From test driving PRS guitars since the eighties and owning PRS guitars since the nineties, the 57/08 is one of the best pickup designs that PRS has ever manufactured. It is has a breathiness that no other PRS pickup has been able to capture. The problem with 57/08s is that they, like the originals, vary from pickup to pickup.

I have 57/08s in two of the PRS guitars that I own. From test driving PRS guitars since the eighties and owning PRS guitars since the nineties, the 57/08 is one of the best pickup designs that PRS has ever manufactured. It is has a breathiness that no other PRS pickup has been able to capture. The problem with 57/08s is that they, like the originals, vary from pickup to pickup.

Very true. I just got a set of Squabbins 57/08’s and put them in my CU24. They absolutely slay in that guitar. Not overly bassy like I’ve had before. They are a bit more wild and untamed. I love it!

no, I’d rather not take the bobbins apart to press them out. The screws are super easy. The middle rail has black and nickel on it so it kinda matches the whole theme.
Sorry I meant pole screws, not pole slugs, should’ve been more specific. I’m no pickup expert - always thought removing pole screws was dicey.

Back