How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

Are you sure that is a Standard? Might be a Special, just cause of the Tremelo up-route. What were the original pickups? What year?

‘91, it’s for sure all mahogany but might be a special. Originally came with VB/HFS. I’m not a fan of VB, even after a magnet swap. Swapped the HFS from ceramic to A8 and it’s still nice and aggressive without the harshness. Dragon 1 is my favorite neck pickup.

‘91, it’s for sure all mahogany but might be a special. Originally came with VB/HFS. I’m not a fan of VB, even after a magnet swap. Swapped the HFS from ceramic to A8 and it’s still nice and aggressive without the harshness. Dragon 1 is my favorite neck pickup.

My Special is a '91, in that exact same color. Came with VB and HFS, and that up-route. The only difference is mine has a tone knob instead of the switch. I also think the birds weren't standard on the .. uhh, Standard in 91.

But then, I think there were a lot more options you could order from PRS back in the day, this might be a Standard with an optional up-route and birds. Do you know what the neck carve is? The Special has a wide-thin.

My Special is a '91, in that exact same color. Came with VB and HFS, and that up-route. The only difference is mine has a tone knob instead of the switch. I also think the birds weren't standard on the .. uhh, Standard in 91.

But then, I think there were a lot more options you could order from PRS back in the day, this might be a Standard with an optional up-route and birds. Do you know what the neck carve is? The Special has a wide-thin.

It definitely has a wide thin neck. Everything I read about on the Special is that it had a middle pickup as well. I wasn’t sure if the uproute was just an option.

Going to leave my Mira stock, but I bought some Klusons for my new SE Zach Myers C&M Exclusive Natural Satin Quilt (re my avatar) and I'm going to double up on push-pull pots to split both HBs.

It definitely has a wide thin neck. Everything I read about on the Special is that it had a middle pickup as well. I wasn’t sure if the uproute was just an option.
My Special has no middle pickup, I think they changed it for 91 for some reason. How am I certain mine is a Special? I ordered it new that way!

My Special has no middle pickup, I think they changed it for 91 for some reason. How am I certain mine is a Special? I ordered it new that way!

Very interesting. I’ll have to reach out to PRS. They said that without holding it it appears to be a Standard in Electric blue. Is there anything else unique about the Special with the exception of the uproute?

Very interesting. I’ll have to reach out to PRS. They said that without holding it it appears to be a Standard in Electric blue. Is there anything else unique about the Special with the exception of the uproute?

I don't know for certain. I think the up-route was the biggest part, but I suspect the wide-thin neck, HFS/VB, and they are all mahogany.

Maybe mine is the odd-ball, the description says they had the middle pickup from the website, but also a tone knob, which your guitar does not have. However, the Special is the only one that's listed with a "trem-up route"

SPECIAL: 1988 - 1991. Developed for the ‘hard rock/metal player’, wide-thin neck, trem-up routing for a full tone up, volume and tone controls with 5 way rotary, HFS Treble pickup, PRS single coil in middle, HFS Bass pickup (changed to Vintage Bass humbucker by 1989).
As 91 was the last year of them, perhaps they were already transitioning away, and removed the middle single as a way to just cut standards with up route and call them specials, lol.

Going to leave my Mira stock, but I bought some Klusons for my new SE Zach Myers C&M Exclusive Natural Satin Quilt (re my avatar) and I'm going to double up on push-pull pots to split both HBs.

I’m doing exact same. Same special run. I am switching the pickups to dimarzio 36th anniversary. Cheap and I hear nothing but rave reviews of them in a Zach Myers.

Smoked Chrome 59/09’s landed early so I dropped everything and put them in. Look great and sound incredible!

VLXjvdi.jpg

Maybe mine is the odd-ball, the description says they had the middle pickup from the website, but also a tone knob, which your guitar does not have. However, the Special is the only one that's listed with a "trem-up route"

SPECIAL: 1988 - 1991. Developed for the ‘hard rock/metal player’, wide-thin neck, trem-up routing for a full tone up, volume and tone controls with 5 way rotary, HFS Treble pickup, PRS single coil in middle, HFS Bass pickup (changed to Vintage Bass humbucker by 1989).
As 91 was the last year of them, perhaps they were already transitioning away, and removed the middle single as a way to just cut standards with up route and call them specials, lol.

Very well could be. I was definitely confused by the description and the specs. Either way. It’s a lifer now! :D

I’m doing exact same. Same special run. I am switching the pickups to dimarzio 36th anniversary. Cheap and I hear nothing but rave reviews of them in a Zach Myers.

Like I need any more reasons to spend more of my retirement money...thanks for the suggestion!

2 of the 3. PRS locking tuners and Bourne Pots on my 2008 PRS Custom 22, Schaller Locking tuners and Dan Armstrong Pickup in my 2019 PRS Standard...I will be adding Locking tuners to my 2020 S2 McCarty 594 as soon as I confirm I can drop in the Phase III locking tuners.

Just my SE Standard 24 really and it's easily my favorite guitar now.
  • Core Bridge, Electronics, Knobs and Backplate.
  • Locking SE Tuners
  • USA Tremonti bridge pickup.
My CE24 is all original. I did also do lampshade knobs on my SVN and SE Tremonti Standard but those don't really count.

All of my electrics get modded. For me, it's both tweaking them to my personal taste as well as just making them a little more unique. Also, I buy used more then new, so sometimes it's correcting the previous owners work as well.

I lied....sort of.

I replaced the blade switches on both S2 Miras.
The first was a repair and the second was an anticipatory (Woah! Big word...) repair.

"Tony M., you are charged with 2 counts of switch slapping in the first degree. How do you plead?"
"Guilty as charged."

Back