How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

"Tony M., you are charged with 2 counts of switch slapping in the first degree. How do you plead?"
"Guilty as charged."

If you ever watch PRS himself demo a new guitar, notice how he too seems rather forceful (at least in my "gentle hands" opinion) in flipping those pickup switches quite hard. I always figured, "What does he care--he can just have a new one built anyway." Or maybe he's just that strong of a believer in the durability of his products. Or both, IDK?

If you ever watch PRS himself demo a new guitar, notice how he too seems rather forceful (at least in my "gentle hands" opinion) in flipping those pickup switches quite hard. I always figured, "What does he care--he can just have a new one built anyway." Or maybe he's just that strong of a believer in the durability of his products. Or both, IDK?

There was a video of PRSh demoing the 5-way rotary, and he was not gentle with it. I was always a one or two click at a time guy, but he would slam it from 1 to 5 in one shot.

I'm going to change the pickups on my SE Holcomb because I don't like his signature ones. I wanted to use the classic Petrucci set, but DiMarzio said I wouldn't see them until at least September. So I ordered a Sentient/Nazgul set from Seymour Duncan that I should get sometime next month ... allegedly.

That's possibly the most aggressive looking pickups I've seen. The name helps, too.
Agree that they could be construed as an aggressive looking pickup but in reality they hit the PAF Voicing thing on the head; a low output, very articulate set of pickups. One that will not lose any notes in a chord even with a good amount of OD pushing the amp - very tight low end and a nice sweet, never harsh, top end.

CE-24, custom color black metallic front and back, matt black neck and headstock, 2000NOS bridge and 57/08 pickups.

OK... I've only modified one of any consequence...
It's a WL 594 that came with a DiMarzio DP223 BKU PAF in the bridge.
It also came with a 58/15LT in the case. Thing is that pup was a 2 wire/un-splittable.
So... I found a local luthier that could tap the pup and install it.
And... therefore... I modified it to be back to stock!:D

Before...

After...

I have done some mods to my 2021 Myers SE:

Myers-Custom-2021.jpg

• Seymour Duncan pickups (SH-4 JB / SH2N)
  • creme pickup rings (quite hard to find, the ones from PRS (core and USA) do not fit)
  • creme toggle switch cap
  • truss rod cover with bird inlay matching the rosewood of the fretboard
  • Kluson vintage style tuners

What a great thread..Cosmetic changes aside, My S2 Standard Satin has a set of Seymore Duncan’s “ Pearly Gates” installed. Next will be a Mann bridge and possibly a new trem.

What a great thread..Cosmetic changes aside, My S2 Standard Satin has a set of Seymore Duncan’s “ Pearly Gates” installed. Next will be a Mann bridge and possibly a new trem.

When i thought about changing the pickups on my Myers i was thinking about a set of Pearly Gates as well... Great sounding set !

That top is absolutely stunning !!!

Cheers, I like it :D

Such a sexy guitar!

Thanks Reub! I had to have it when I saw it, and at less than £400 I think I did well!

It was in a bit of a state when I got it, but a clean, some TLC, and then securing the bridge post sleeves (one was puling out under string tension) has got it back to where it should be!

Cheers, I like it :D

Thanks Reub! I had to have it when I saw it, and at less than £400 I think I did well!

It was in a bit of a state when I got it, but a clean, some TLC, and then securing the bridge post sleeves (one was puling out under string tension) has got it back to where it should be!

Aye! You got a good one there.

Back