How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
And follow-up: Did you buy with the intention of making changes?

I’m 3 out of 4 modified.

I looked at the wall and at first wondered why I can’t seem to leave well enough alone. But then I realized I sometimes buy with the idea of what they can become.

Johnny Hiland: I actually bought this guitar after I found a pair of 53/10 pickups that needed a home. Replaced the 3-way blade with a 5-way for Custom 24 switching. Might still put a MannMade 2000NOS bridge on.

McCarty AP: I bought this one for the purpose of having a low-tuned guitar. So I knew I’d replace the pickups. Ended up with a 85/15 + \m/ combo. And I already had a MannMade 2300 intonatable bridge waiting for a home as well. Bingo.

CE-22: This was a cool guitar as-is, but had the potential for much more. So I had the PTC go to work on it. Actually kept the VB/HFS pickups tho. But it got a Floyd, paint job, bass cut switch, and gold hardware.

McCarty 594: Stock! It’s a Goldtop and the 58/15LTs are perfect, what can I say?

So where are you on the “spectrum”? *PS and custom spec counts, you just modified it before it was built.

Last edited:
I've probably modified about 50% of mine. Common "mods" are pickups (obvious), but also tuners (yes, I removed winged tuners; no I didn't get rid of them), gold --> nickel hardware, swapping stoptail bridges (fixed --> adjustable or Paul's style), and even the humbucker-splits on my SAS.

Also--does it count if I've UN-modified a guitar? A previous owner had installed aftermarket rings that I didn't think "worked" with the look of the guitar; so, I went back to what would've been the stock cream rings & switch tip.

I have only modified my S2 custom 24. 57/08 in the neck, 59/09 in the bridge, updated bridge and pots. It’s wale blue and I’ve been leavening it in a sunny window to try and get the color to fade it’s a lot brighter.

I agree with the gentleman above my McCarty 594 is perfect.

Lets see...... hmmm.... I have modified

SECU24 with: wiring harness, nut, locking tuners
SE245 with: wiring harness, nut, locking tuner, adjustable bridge, and knobs
SE Santana with: wiring harness and nut
SE A55E with: Tonewood Pre-Amp/Effects
SE Hollowbody 2 with: Lampshade Knobs

The only one that has not been modded is the SE Kestrel.

Knobs were obviously changed for the aesthetics, everything else was done after playing the guitar, and wanting to take them that extra step to make them more personal to my liking.

I guess it depends on the definition. I was on the Fractal Audio Forum this morning and there was a discussion on "relic'ed" guitars, which I think is the best sales job since the Pet Rock. One of the guys responded, knowing me to be a PRS player, that a relic'ed PRS was one with the hang tag removed. If that counted, I'd be a modding fool.

All of them get strap locks and their own strap, but that's been about it. I am seriously considering changing the pickups in my McCarty Hollowbody (Archtops) to better match the 58/15LTs in the 594 Hollowbody, but that would be the first real mod I've done to any of them. If I have my way, I'll just get a second 594 HB, and a second HB Spruce, and leave them all stock. That's dreaming, but I like it.

So, as far as real mods... zero for the dozen-ish I've owned. Really, a tip of the hat to them, as I see it. There just wasn't a need.

3 out of 5 of my present guitars. Nothing major mind. Pickup change here, tone cap there....
I'd say my PRS has a couple of tweaks rather than mods as such, I've disconnected a leg of the treble bleed cap and changed the tone cap to .22uf. Everything else is cosmetic - wooden back plate and a nicer switch tip from crazy parts (I hated the seeing the mold line in the plastic part)

After one of the Experiences...and talking to Eric down there...I moved a single wire in one of my older Swamps to be in Single coil mode with the push/pull in the "down" position. Need to pull up to get full/both HBs.
And have slowly replaced some of the chrome with gold on the same guitar...going for my own "hybrid" look.

And I swapped the cream PU rings on a green Swamp with black...Looks better to me...

Last edited:
Back