S2 Single cut Standard pickup switching?

Rogingat

I just bought an S2 single cut Standard, 2018. A couple of weeks after bringing it home I discovered something strange in the way the pickups are switched. I should add that this guitar has been modified with CTS volume and tone and new 4-wire pickups.
When the P-U switch is in the centre position, both pickups work ONLY WHEN BOTH VOLUME CONTROLS ARE OFF THE ZERO POSITION! In other words, if either of the volume knobs is set to zero, both pickups turn off.

Is this normal?

I have continued my testing and find that when the switch is in the neck or bridge position the volume is much louder than when it is in the middle position. Even with both volume pots set to 10! I don't remember any other guitar I have owned doing that.

I have continued my testing and find that when the switch is in the neck or bridge position the volume is much louder than when it is in the middle position. Even with both volume pots set to 10! I don't remember any other guitar I have owned doing that.
That's normal too but only up to a point.

When the selector switch is in the middle position and both volumes are full up does the tone get extremely thin?

What happens when you leave one volume full up and reduce the volume of the other?

Does the guitar get louder and fuller and have more bass?

If so your pickups might be wired out of phase or the magnet may be reversed in one pickup only.

If that was the case you'd get mosquito tone when the pickups are combined,

Last edited:
When I reduce the volume of one of the p-u it doesn't get louder. I am not getting the thin, out-of-phase sound either, so I think that's not at issue. However, reducing the volume of one p-u doesn't change the tone much, which I find a bit odd!

When I reduce the volume of one of the p-u it doesn't get louder. I am not getting the thin, out-of-phase sound either, so I think that's not at issue. However, reducing the volume of one p-u doesn't change the tone much, which I find a bit odd!
Well it should. Try tapping on the polepieces of each pickup with a coin or something metal and see what's happening when you turn down its corresponding volume control.

I did the tap test earlier today. I indicates that the volume drops on the p-u that I adjust, which is normal.
I am still puzzled as to why the previous owner would take out the original PRS #7 p-u set and replace them with Iron Gear pickups! (Blues Engine-N and Dirty Torque-B) They are OK but probably not any better than the originals.

Back