Modified my SE....!??

SteveGlitch

We are all one so we may as well have some fun ❤
So, the Santana "S" Pickups in my Santana SE were not for me. I didn't like the "pop" factor. I was specifically told by a PRS fan not to replace them because they would the Rock and Soul of the guitar but I just ultimately found them lacking and hard to work with.

I replaced them with the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pups called "Frampton Comes Alive". BEHOLD! When I took them out the box, I saw they were worn, tattered and torn. Aged to perfection, made to Frampton's specs.

The guitar, I feel, is much closer now to that sweet singing sustain we all want from a creamy, dreamy and steamy Santana tone.

The guitar looks 1,000 x's worse but sounds 50 x's better. I should had left the Creamy mounting rings.. Alas ye, the tradeoff was worth it. Guitars are tools after paul ;)

Here's a Peek!

I was specifically told by a PRS fan not to replace them because they would the Rock and Soul of the guitar

Utter nonsense. Its not Santana's actual guitar! :D You made the right choice.. swap pickups if you don't like them.

Congrats on the swap! Why don't you swap the other rings back? The black look kinda cool to me too though.. Bumblebee

Differnet knobs would complete the look. Lampshades or even black speed knobs.

A post about the pickups... I was expecting a video sound clip. You gotta do what makes you happy...but I tend to think the pickups weren't preventing getting a creamy, sustained sound.
Remember he might have been standing in front of a couple full stacks, managing his feedback for sustain...stuff he typically did. Roll off the tone then too and hit neck only.

Utter nonsense. Its not Santana's actual guitar! :D You made the right choice.. swap pickups if you don't like them.

Congrats on the swap! Why don't you swap the other rings back? The black look kinda cool to me too though.. Bumblebee

Differnet knobs would complete the look. Lampshades or even black speed knobs.
Thanks for that! I'll see if I can find some cool looking knobs and maybe that will make those black mounting rings pop!

This is my first PRS guitar and I've been loving it. I was actually playing it today and finding it hard to put down and out it's misery. I feel like, these days, that it's a rare thing when I find a guitar that I don't want to stop playing. The combination of the body profile, the neck, and the new pickups make this one a triple threat.

My favorite thing about the Santana SE is that it's super simple, yet elegant. The spacing between the pickups on the body is unique. I think it may make the pickups a bit more balanced in output maybe? It's definitely interesting.

I got the Santana SE and I already have my second PRS SE waiting to be unboxed (a purple Maple Silver Sky SE) which will be my fourth Strat type of guitar. I found myself suddenly in the world of PRS and I'm loving it!!!

Thanks again

A post about the pickups... I was expecting a video sound clip. You gotta do what makes you happy...but I tend to think the pickups weren't preventing getting a creamy, sustained sound.
Remember he might have been standing in front of a couple full stacks, managing his feedback for sustain...stuff he typically did. Roll off the tone then too and hit neck only.
Thanks! You are probably right. My amp is just a Marshall JTM Studio 1x12 combo. It's a weak amp in comparison to something like a 8x10.

I'm gonna do a video demo of the Santana SE with the new Frampton pickups soon (maybe tomorrow). I was actually hoping to do that today but it just got too late by the time I found the "magic settings", it's quiet time.

Yes, PRS are VERY addictive! Damn things multiply like Gremlins!

Congrats and welcome! Santanas rock. One of my favorites and we can all thank Santana for convincing Paul to launch the se line
Thanks!

And yeah, it's definitely a unique one! Find myself trying to stay away from the norm these days. Too many Strats and teles lol Love all of them but it's nice to have something different, something that I can surprise my guitar player friends with and then they say "What's that?" is always a cool feeling

Great sounds on the video clip! A worthy upgrade.

SE's are some of the best values on the planet but most of the time can be significantly better with new pickups. The advantage of that is you get to choose exactly the ones you want. Both of mine also have upgraded pups.

I was expecting a video sound clip
I just made a thread with a couple videos, my playing is nothing spectacular but it should give you an idea :)

Try

Last edited:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

The requested thread could not be found.

Try

Back