PRS S2 CU 24 - upgrading bridge and pickups worth the price and effort?

goodbyeboy

Hi guys, I recently bought my second PRS - S2 Custom 24 this time. it's sitting on my apartment door and I will be finally get to play it tomorrow.

I heard that its pickups and bridge are same as ones on SE line (Korean made, 85/15S). I am trying to figure out whether I should do upgrades. I am thinking of 85/15 TCI and Mannmade bridge. Saw some good deals on my local shops.

I am sure some of you guys have thought about the same thing and pulled the trigger on this. Can someone chime in and share their experiences on the upgrades? Noticeably different? Worth it? When I tried 85/15s on my Mccarty it sounded somewhat honky and empty. Not sure whether it is because of wood quality or other factors, but I wasn't too satisfied with it.

When it comes to bridge all I care about is tuning stability - would Mannmade bridge be more stable tuning wise?

Thanks,

I’m currently in the same boat, got a McCarty s2 and was thinking of upgrading them. I’ve watched a bunch of comparison videos and I’m convinced these pickups are really close in comparison, the core ones being a little more articulate and clear and the S ones being a little more brighter imo. I recommend you check a few videos on the comparisons

The same pups, 85/15 S in this case, will sound different (better IMO) in the S2 compared to the SE. I believe that the more choice woods in the S2 contribute to the sound. But a change of pups will be worth it if it sounds better to you. Hardware upgrades from Mann are always worth it when replacing import hardware IMO, although typically not necessary for tuning stability.

MannMade all day.. pickups are up to you on how it sounds to you. I'd personally rather have a set of 5909. They absolutely kill in my core Cu24.

Last edited:
I had no regrets spending money on the MannMade bridge swap on my S2! I also switched the pickups to a DiMarzio D-Activator X because of what and how I play. There was nothing wrong with the original pickups.

I would say... Play it hard as it is. Then, months from now, find out what you think needs to be swapped to adapt to your playing.

For pickups, Glen's advise is...

The S2's are fantastic players. I agree with the sentiment of spending time with it first. They come perfectly serviceable as is and the SE bridges take a pretty solid pounding before going out of tune.

I had no regrets spending money on the MannMade bridge swap on my S2! I also switched the pickups to a DiMarzio D-Activator X because of what and how I play. There was nothing wrong with the original pickups.

I would say... Play it hard as it is. Then, months from now, find out what you think needs to be swapped to adapt to your playing.

For pickups, Glen's advise is...

Is that a reflection on the E and D saddles, or have you worn the plating already?

Back