How many of your PRS’ have you modified?

After one of the Experiences...and talking to Eric down there...I moved a single wire in one of my older Swamps to be in Single coil mode with the push/pull in the "down" position. Need to pull up to get full/both HBs.
Nice. Isn’t that how the Johnny Hiland models used to come for the neck pickup? Or at least during part of their run.

Hmmm....I did PIII tuners, nut, added a cap, and dropped a Lollar P-90 in my SE-One

SE Bernie - PIII, nut, Core electronics, MannMade 2300, Bare Knuckle Abraxas

Pickup swaps in 2 or 3 594's, a Santana and a KL-33

Partial Santana refinish. Had the blue back and neck refinished in white (satin on the neck)

Cu22 - Replace Dragon II with 57/08 neck and 59/09 neck (both covered). Replaced rotary with 3 way toggle and two mini toggles. MannMade 2300. PTC refinish from some ugly blue to Purple Hazel wrap, with the neck done in black satin ala the SE Holcomb.

Nothing on a core. SE's - yes. Some mods for needed improvements (nut change, locking tuners), some mods for functionality (added push-pull coil split), and some mods for aesthetics (core knobs.)

Nearly all of the one I've had over the past 3 years have been customized with stained curly maple truss rod covers, tuner buttons and/or backplates.

Right now only 3 out of 5 have been modified that way. One is a PS that was designed right from the get go so there's not much to do there, the other is an antique white SC594 that doesn't really need anything at the moment.

Boy do I remember that one.

That one ? That looks fantastic.
https://reverb.com/item/34942427-paul-reed-smith-dustie-waring-ce24-limited-2018-fuchsia-sparkle

I have modded all four of mine, but some are primarily stock.

CU24 AP---ditched the rotary for a 3 way switch and coil tap on tone, clipped the treble bleed because I detest them.
CU22 AP stoptail--replaced the Dragon II pickups with NOS uncovered PRS Artist Treble and Bass Alnico 4 pickups. Replaced the bridge with a Schroeder. Clipped the treble bleed.
DGT AP---clipped the treble bleed
Santana II--clipped the treble bleed

I have modded all four of mine, but some are primarily stock.

CU24 AP---ditched the rotary for a 3 way switch and coil tap on tone, clipped the treble bleed because I detest them.
CU22 AP stoptail--replaced the Dragon II pickups with NOS uncovered PRS Artist Treble and Bass Alnico 4 pickups. Replaced the bridge with a Schroeder. Clipped the treble bleed.
DGT AP---clipped the treble bleed
Santana II--clipped the treble bleed
Finally someone who does the same as me and disconnects the treble bleed cap

Only switched out the rotary switch to a three way with push pull on one of my CU22s. And blocked one of the ones I had with a trem. Nothing else. (Though I have bought one that had gen 2 tuners on it that were originally the winged gen 1s. The gen 1s came with it but I never put them back on. I kept those when I sold that guitar). I am not much of a modifier when it comes to PRS guitars. But that is just me.

Just the SE HBII Piezo's tuners to SE locking tuners. And my McCarty's bridge studs, and also a MannMade USA adjustable bridge with MM studs. Also, a custom TRC for my SE Angelus A60E.

Nothing that might change tone too significantly on either. Just for improved versatility and/or functionality.

Last edited:
I've got 6 PRS's now. I've swapped out the anodized truss rod cover for matching colored flame maple on my Core 35th Anniversary Custom 24 and S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow. I swapped the 85/15 S pickups out in the S2 Custom Semi Hollow for a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas; I replaced the McCarty 594 truss rod cover on my S2 594 SC for the 35th Anniversary truss rod cover that came off of my Core 35th; I swapped the silver pole screws for gold; switched the silver washer and toggle screw for gold; switched the black toggle cap for a creme; switched the vintage tuners to Phase III Vintage Locking; changed the silver strap buttons to gold; and now am having a set of 58/15 LT pickups put in to replace the 58/15 S pickups. I'm probably going to swap the #7 pickups in my S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut to something a little brighter, maybe a set of SD Pearly Gates or Bare Knuckle Mules.

Does tweaking the truss rod count?
Come on, there’s children on these boards!

Modded all of them except Mr. Clean. Granted, @crgtr did the mods before it came to Rancho Boogie, but nothing I wouldn’t have done myself...except having dozens of pickup sets to choose from (the best of the lot is still installed).

Ok, I guess all of them are modded. Heck, the CU24 doesn’t even have a neck pickup in it right now. Wait...the SE Angelus acoustic...it’s bone stock!

3 out of the 3 I have, 2 out of 3 I no longer have.

Korina McCarty - stainless frets, bone nut, Mann 2300 brodge, Schroeder locking bridge studs, PTC installed 5708 pickups

Modern Eagle 1 - stainless frets, bone nut, will probably get the Mann bridge, Schroeder stud treatment and maybe new pickups

SC245 - stainless frets, bone nut, Mann 2300, Schroeder locking bridge studs. This will definitely get new pickups, might contact Wolfetone for help

3 out of the 3 I have, 2 out of 3 I no longer have.

Korina McCarty - stainless frets, bone nut, Mann 2300 brodge, Schroeder locking bridge studs, PTC installed 5708 pickups

Modern Eagle 1 - stainless frets, bone nut, will probably get the Mann bridge, Schroeder stud treatment and maybe new pickups

SC245 - stainless frets, bone nut, Mann 2300, Schroeder locking bridge studs. This will definitely get new pickups, might contact Wolfetone for help
Even if I decide to put the stock McCarty bridge back on, I'm keeping my MannMade 2300 and 200NOS bridges. Never know when they'll come in handy..

On the pickup side, I was close to asking Wolfetone if he'd use my VB/HFS set as a "squabbin" donor for a new set of higher output pickups. I opted for the bass-cut switch in my CE-22 instead, which I'm glad I did. But still, Wolfetone will probably be the next pickup brand I try.

One of the guys responded, knowing me to be a PRS player, that a relic'ed PRS was one with the hang tag removed. If that counted, I'd be a modding fool.

That's pretty good ! :) I saw a Paul interview where he was asked about the "Relic'ed " guitar... and he said No !

I'm with him on that, as I have never been able to figure why anyone would spend thousands on a guitar, that was purposely made to look like it lost a fight with a belt sander ! :rolleyes:

But as for modifying PRS ? I think it depends on where you come in on the product chain...

SE .... are pretty much "born" to be modded. The guitars are purposely built with "compromises" to keep the cost down. The user can then build from the good bones of the guitar, up to an S2 or CE/ Core level (within limitations as Core Bones will always be unobtainable ) with pickup changes, tuner changes, nut, and electronics until they have S2 or CE $$$ into it. But its done on the "installment plan" ;)

S2 / CE, here there are opportunities to upgrade, fewer in the CE line, but with S2 all its shared with SE components . The next SE I buy, I will order SE lockers in the deal (as the factory won't provide them as stock)

And if I go back for another S2 McCarty (say a DC) , I figure a $350 investment in the boutique pickups of my choice, will get it pretty much to Core level. Still no "violin carve" or mega flame , ( but you really cant hear those things)

I don't have any Core, but once you get this high in the food chain... I'm thinkin' one should be buying a "complete package" , that does not require any mods. It would be like changing out the seats in a Ferrari or a McLaren just for street use. . The durn thing oughta be "finished" when you drive it off the lot or in our case ... do the initial unboxing ... :cool:

But now to answer the question, 2 out of 3, Tuners and pickups on one SE. Tuners on one, with a Pending p/u change . But on the S2 ? None. It 's cool as purchased ...

Might still put a MannMade 2000NOS bridge on.

Unless you already own a 2000NOS, the probability that you will ever own a non-previously owned one is low at the present time. The MannMade 2000NOS trems were manufactured using NOS castings from days when John Mann was producing the Gen I bridge for PRS. It appears that John has depleted the old supply of castings and has been unable to find a foundry that is up to his standards. That is why I went with the MannMade 2040 trem for my 2019 CE24.

Back